Will SLI ever take advantage of dual-core processors?

Old August 14th 05, 01:51 PM
Scott

Default Will SLI ever take advantage of dual-core processors?

I've been looking for articles on this topic and haven't bumped into any
yet. I wonder if NVIDIA will ever come up with a set of drivers that
will allow each SLI card to run on its own processor. Any thoughts or
web links on the topic?
Old August 14th 05, 02:52 PM
First of One

SLI has no direct relations with dual-core CPUs. Having each card
communicating with only one of the two cores is not advantageous, either.

Old August 14th 05, 09:12 PM
Nobody

Scott wrote in :

I've been looking for articles on this topic and haven't bumped into any
yet. I wonder if NVIDIA will ever come up with a set of drivers that
will allow each SLI card to run on its own processor. Any thoughts or
web links on the topic?

Apples and oranges, dude.
Old August 14th 05, 09:53 PM
First of One

Before you get caught in all the hoopla for dual-core, take a look at this:
http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?op...510&Item id=2

Gabe Newell (of all people) is scared of the difficulty in programming games
to take advantage of dual-core CPUs.

For multimedia encoding, sure, but games won't be able to benefit from
dual-core for some time.

Old August 14th 05, 10:50 PM
/mel/

http://www6.tomshardware.com/game/20021228/index.html

--

/mel/

np: silence

Old August 15th 05, 12:58 AM
Scott Koprowski

The new 8X.XX forceware drivers will take advantage of dual core. While the
games themselves may be difficult to program, Nvidia has stated that they
can use a cpu to offset some of the driver calculations away from the GPU.
Personally, I would luv to see someone (like Realtek) make a motherboard
chip sound driver that would take advantage of one cpu. That would do away
with any performance issues with using the motherboard sound in games.

Scott

Old August 15th 05, 01:47 AM
First of One

Nothing solid, just wishful thinking and "what could be possible", along
with screenshots of current games that don't benefit from HT or multi-core.

BTW, don't misunderstand me. Since current games are usually not CPU-bound
at high-resolutions anyway, increasing CPU horsepower one way or the other
won't be noticeable. However, using HT or dual-core to cut 20 minutes off a
MPEG4 encoding job, represents an enormous, tangible time saving for the
user.

Old August 15th 05, 02:41 AM
J. Clarke

Scott Koprowski wrote:

The new 8X.XX forceware drivers will take advantage of dual core. While
the games themselves may be difficult to program, Nvidia has stated that
they can use a cpu to offset some of the driver calculations away from the
GPU. Personally, I would luv to see someone (like Realtek) make a
motherboard chip sound driver that would take advantage of one cpu. That
would do away with any performance issues with using the motherboard sound
in games.

Just set the processor affinity in Task Manager.

Scott

"Scott" wrote in message
I've been looking for articles on this topic and haven't bumped into any
yet. I wonder if NVIDIA will ever come up with a set of drivers that
will
allow each SLI card to run on its own processor. Any thoughts or web
links on the topic?

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate