Proliant 1200 Error 162 - System Options Not Set

Old August 3rd 06, 08:51 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
.

Default Proliant 1200 Error 162 - System Options Not Set

My 1200 keeps booting up with this now. It doesn't affect the way the
machine runs except that I have to be there to hit F1 to get it past the
error. This is undesirable as it's a firewall and has to be able to boot
all the way when it powers up.

I've checked the battery on the expansion board and it measures in at
3.2V, so I guess that eliminates a dead battery. I've run the system
configuration utility off the SmartStart CD a couple of times but
although it never found anything amiss, that didn't make the 162 error
go away.

I'm tempted to nuke the NVRAM and initialise the machine from scratch,
to see if there are some corrupt bits in there that won't go away
otherwise, but there is one question I'd like the answer to: if I *do*
perform a system erase, how do I go about protecting the three drives
(RAID1) from being zapped also? The process will zap the machine, try to
install the Compaq partition on the array (don't want to do that) etc.

I want to zap the machine and then plug the drives back in, but in
setting up the array controller, won't that nuke what's on the drives
too? Never taken this approach (zap server, keep drives) before so I'm
asking before I attempt anything.
Old August 3rd 06, 01:21 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Jeffrey Alsip

.. wrote:
My 1200 keeps booting up with this now. It doesn't affect the way the
machine runs except that I have to be there to hit F1 to get it past the
error. This is undesirable as it's a firewall and has to be able to boot
all the way when it powers up.

I've checked the battery on the expansion board and it measures in at
3.2V, so I guess that eliminates a dead battery. I've run the system
configuration utility off the SmartStart CD a couple of times but
although it never found anything amiss, that didn't make the 162 error
go away.

My 1600's have very similar (almost identical) architecture. I had a
persistent 162 error about a year ago. In fact, my symptoms were very
similar to what you describe. I was able to correct the error by adding
the 4.5V External Replacement Battery. When the onboard Lithium battery
fails, it should never be removed (board damage will result) and
replaced...the External Battery with a jumper change is required.

See section 2-36 in the Hardware and Maintenence Manual:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/su...01_rev3_us.pdf

Finding one of these batteries might not be easy, but it should be
possible. Maybe LC has one laying around.

Also, remember that batteries lose POWER, and not necessarily voltage.
Many dead 9V batteries will still register 9V on a voltmeter. A battery
cannot be confirmed until it is "load checked"...and of course that is
impossible while it is hard mounted to the board. In short, even though
your battery registers the right voltage I still suspect that it is bad
(low current).

Jeffrey Alsip

Old August 3rd 06, 01:58 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
NuTCrAcKeR

"." wrote in message
m.au...
[...]

if you want to do a system erase, but preserve the drive config, simply
disconnect the cable from the array controller to the drive cage. Boot from
SS, run the system erase utility, power off, connect the cable, power on,
and run the SCU. Also, Jeffreys advise about the aux battery is a good one.

- LC

Old August 3rd 06, 04:12 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Jeffrey Alsip

.. wrote:
In article .com,
says...
Finding one of these batteries might not be easy, but it should be
possible. Maybe LC has one laying around.

Ummmm I've just put the meter across the external battery connector and
found it live at Vcc. I take it the replacement battery is a
rechargeable one?

The replacement battery is alkaline rather that lithium. If it is
"rechargeable" then I find no mention of that. If you want to do some
quick research, the part number is 160274-001. Here is one I found
quickly on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/160274-001-COMPA...QQcmdZViewItem

After installing the battery (follow the instructions cited above from
the Hardware Manual), you just run you Smart Start Hardware
confifuration, and be sure to do a SAVE at the end. Don't worry about
the Array card...it has it's own battery.

Jeffrey Alsip

Old August 3rd 06, 10:45 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Dean

Jeffrey Alsip wrote:

The replacement battery is alkaline rather that lithium. If it is
"rechargeable" then I find no mention of that. If you want to do some
quick research, the part number is 160274-001. Here is one I found
quickly on ebay:

Oh well in that case if it's just an alkaline battery then I'll strap in
three AA cells. I notice the 'proper' one is 600mAh - way overkill for RAM
backup - it's not going to be turning over a starter motor in the truck.
Old August 4th 06, 01:46 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Jeffrey Alsip

Dean wrote:
Jeffrey Alsip wrote:

The replacement battery is alkaline rather that lithium. If it is
"rechargeable" then I find no mention of that. If you want to do some
quick research, the part number is 160274-001. Here is one I found
quickly on ebay:

Oh well in that case if it's just an alkaline battery then I'll strap in
three AA cells. I notice the 'proper' one is 600mAh - way overkill for RAM
backup - it's not going to be turning over a starter motor in the truck.

LC may not like this, but I agree completely. Just make sure you move
the jumper AFTER the new battery pack is installed. Also, please let us
know how it turns out. We need to be prepared for the batteries to be
under a (admittadly small) constant load, and subject to failure
every-so-often...I would look at replacing them every three months.

I am curious about the alkaline "pack" that these official Compaq parts
are packaged in. Is it possible that they have a couple of diodes
included...such that they only allow battery discharge when they sense
no power from the motherboard? I am not prepared to take an exacto
knife to the one that I have installed, so hopefully someone else has
the answer.

Another question (which I just HAVE to ask): If your hard drive data is
worthy of protection (as you have indicated), is it truly NOT worth $15
plus shipping? I can tell you that the external pack, that I have
installed, has run for 15 months without problem. Perhaps what I have
written here (in paragraph two) is pertinent. Can your soldering of a
battery pack...and re-doing this every three months, REALLY justify
your not spending $15 now?

Jeffrey Alsip

Old August 4th 06, 10:41 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
.

In article .com,
says...

[...]

Getting a 160274-001 is not that simple.

I picked up a Varta 4912-BP1 battery. This is a bit of severe overkill
in the Ah department, being rated at 6300mAh, which is enough juice to
back up every file server RAM chip ever made in the universe, turn over
the starter motor in my 4WD, make my morning coffee, and zap the cat if
she nags too much. The reason I got this battery was simply that it's
cheap, easily obtainable, and in these chassis you don't really care if
you have a backup battery the size of a small brick, because there's
plenty of room to hide it.

I looked at the original Compaq part, but this isn't America. The sheer
hassle and expense of getting their 160274-001 would blow it out to 4
weeks and at least $80. Our market here is far leaner for this sort of
thing. So, I made my own version of a 160274-001. After all, it's just a
backup battery.

After spending all of $15 for the battery at my local "Battery World"
(gotta love that name), it took me just 10 minutes to find a spare
speaker connector and flylead from a dead PC motherboard in the workshop
and solder the ends onto the battery terminals, including scrounging a
1N4001 isolation diode to stop the system trying to charge the battery.
I've even left the original battery cap on and soldered via the holes. A
bit of heatshrink over the diode and presto! Looks neat enough.

After metering through the pins on the system board, I plugged it in.
Connector E2 now sported 4V5 on it instead of the original cell's 3V.

Imagine my surprise when it didn't fix anything. OK, I thought, so I'll
do a system erase and run SCU. Well, after doing all that, I'm back to
where I was (bugger) but at least the RAM backup supply rail sits at 4V5
instead of 3V so that can't be a bad thing.

I can only conclude that the system board is buggered because I still
get that Error 162 after swapping in a beefier backup battery AND doing
a system erase as well.

Guess I'll just live with the fact that I'll have to F1 it whenever it
boots up, until I find another board on ebay and swap it over. Reason
it's important it boots by itself is it's a firewall, and connects to
the ADSL line and the outside world, so I can't leave it like this for
long. A blackout will end up being a pain in the rear when the power
comes back on and the firewall just ends up sitting there in mid-flight.

As for changing the battery every three months, I wouldn't worry about
that. The original battery is still OK as far as I can tell, and that
board is from 1998. Seeing as how the one I've put in has 10 times the
capacity of the 160274-001, and that in itself probably has 10 times the
capacity of the original 3V lithium cell, I'll be changing it over
either in the year 2053, or at the Time Of The Second Coming Of Gavin
The Electric Wonder Gerbil, whichever comes first.

Although this hasn't fixed my problem, it's been educational (didn't
know about the Compaq mind set of leave the original when it dies, here,
plug in a small brick instead) and if anyone wants a photo of my
replacement model, I'll email it for the asking.

Old August 4th 06, 05:52 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Nut Cracker

still trying to work on those cubs tickets ...

any word on the massive take from the dell-shop ?

- LC