Goin ATI back to Nvidia(need suggestions)

Old August 15th 05, 01:21 AM
Steve Schaub

Default Goin ATI back to Nvidia(need suggestions)

System specs: P4 2.8 with HT (not celeron)
1 Gig PC3200 Ram
Ati 9600Xt 128 AGP
Audigy 2LS soundcard
Seem to get a lot of stuttering playing BF2 on 800X600 res. and was thinking
of going with a GeForce 6600GT. I don't have a lot of money to spend and I
found this card on Newegg for $145.00. Questions I have:

1. Will this card be a decent enough upgrade for 1 year?
2. It's only 128 for memory, does this impact games?(that are out now).
3.Can it be overclocked easy?
4. Aslo saw a GeForce 6800 128MB for $164.00, would this be a better buy?

I realize PCI-E is the future, but don't want to upgrade mobo and processor
for another year. I get my computers as my dad's hand-me-downs, he does a
lot of video editing so vid cards I buy. Saving for a house and gotta stay
in cheap-mid range cards. Used to own a GeForce 4Ti4200, loved that card
when it was new and modern. Thanks

Old August 15th 05, 01:40 AM
First of One

"Steve Schaub" wrote in message
1. Will this card be a decent enough upgrade for 1 year?

Depends on what you'll be playing. My 9800Pro is buttery-smooth in BF2 at
1024x768 "high quality". The 6600GT is faster than the 9800Pro.

2. It's only 128 for memory, does this impact games?(that are out now).

Nope.

3.Can it be overclocked easy?

It's about average. The 6600 core is unique, and the GT version is the top
model.

4. Aslo saw a GeForce 6800 128MB for $164.00, would this be a better buy?

Yes it is a better buy. Faster than a 6600GT. With luck it can also be
unlocked to a full 16 pipes, bringing you close to 6800GT performance.

Old August 15th 05, 03:28 AM
Steve Schaub

Thanks for the help. I'll be playin BF2, Far Cry, Doom 3 and Riddick. Some
of these I played part way through.