Setting CPU Speed (Asus A7V133)

Old March 23rd 04, 10:01 PM
That Other Guy

Default Setting CPU Speed (Asus A7V133)

A7V133 BIOS REV 1009, Athlon Thunderbird 1.33 GHz

I swapped the original 900 MHz Duron with what was supposed to be a
1.33 GHz Athlon Thunderbird.

When I ran the computer the processor showed up as a 1000 MHz Athlon.

The board is configured to be jumperless.

In the BIOS setup it gives me two choices for the CPU speed: 1000,
which is where it's at, and 1333 which is what the chip is rated at
and the speed I would like it to run. But when I set it at the higher
speed the computer blue screens during the startup process.

I know it isn't the memory because I have had the memory set at its
rated 133 for years, and if I leave the CPU and FSB at 1000 I can run
the memory at 133 no problem.

But this new Athlon will not run properly at its rated speed.

The motherboard has always been absolutely trouble free since I got
it. Same with the memory. The only new thing is the processor. Am I
safe in assuming that the processor is defective? Or is there
something else I should try?

I am concerned because I have an Athlon XP 2100+ (1.74 GHz) (now in a
different computer) that I was planning to put into this MB
eventually. I would like to determine now if the MB is the problem.

TIA for any serious replies. Those with sarcastic comments please
save them for somebody else.
Old March 23rd 04, 10:30 PM
~misfit~

That Other Guy wrote:
A7V133 BIOS REV 1009, Athlon Thunderbird 1.33 GHz

I swapped the original 900 MHz Duron with what was supposed to be a
1.33 GHz Athlon Thunderbird.

When I ran the computer the processor showed up as a 1000 MHz Athlon.

The board is configured to be jumperless.

In the BIOS setup it gives me two choices for the CPU speed: 1000,
which is where it's at, and 1333 which is what the chip is rated at
and the speed I would like it to run. But when I set it at the higher
speed the computer blue screens during the startup process.

I know it isn't the memory because I have had the memory set at its
rated 133 for years, and if I leave the CPU and FSB at 1000 I can run
the memory at 133 no problem.

From what I know of this mobo it is impossible to run the FSB and memory bus
at different speeds. Therefore, if you've been running the FSB at 100Mhz,
you've been running the memory at 100Mhz as well.

But this new Athlon will not run properly at its rated speed.

The motherboard has always been absolutely trouble free since I got
it. Same with the memory. The only new thing is the processor. Am I
safe in assuming that the processor is defective? Or is there
something else I should try?

Could be your RAM, maybe the timings are set too tight.

I am concerned because I have an Athlon XP 2100+ (1.74 GHz) (now in a
different computer) that I was planning to put into this MB
eventually. I would like to determine now if the MB is the problem.

TIA for any serious replies. Those with sarcastic comments please
save them for somebody else.

Set the CPU frequency to "User define" and set it to 133Mhz.

Have a look at this page:
http://www.all-about-pc.de/english/H...a7v133/ASUSa7v
133_install.asp

Also, it may pay to look for an updated BIOS for it.
--
~misfit~

Old March 23rd 04, 10:48 PM
That Other Guy

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 10:30:48 +1200, "~misfit~"
wrote:

That Other Guy wrote:
A7V133 BIOS REV 1009, Athlon Thunderbird 1.33 GHz

I swapped the original 900 MHz Duron with what was supposed to be a
1.33 GHz Athlon Thunderbird.

When I ran the computer the processor showed up as a 1000 MHz Athlon.

The board is configured to be jumperless.

In the BIOS setup it gives me two choices for the CPU speed: 1000,
which is where it's at, and 1333 which is what the chip is rated at
and the speed I would like it to run. But when I set it at the higher
speed the computer blue screens during the startup process.

I know it isn't the memory because I have had the memory set at its
rated 133 for years, and if I leave the CPU and FSB at 1000 I can run
the memory at 133 no problem.

From what I know of this mobo it is impossible to run the FSB and memory bus
at different speeds. Therefore, if you've been running the FSB at 100Mhz,
you've been running the memory at 100Mhz as well.

I am almost certain that I had the FSB and the memory set a 133 with
the Duron.

But this new Athlon will not run properly at its rated speed.

The motherboard has always been absolutely trouble free since I got
it. Same with the memory. The only new thing is the processor. Am I
safe in assuming that the processor is defective? Or is there
something else I should try?

Could be your RAM, maybe the timings are set too tight.

I am concerned because I have an Athlon XP 2100+ (1.74 GHz) (now in a
different computer) that I was planning to put into this MB
eventually. I would like to determine now if the MB is the problem.

TIA for any serious replies. Those with sarcastic comments please
save them for somebody else.

Set the CPU frequency to "User define" and set it to 133Mhz.

When I set it manually (by adjusting the multiplyer) the steps are
1000, 1400, etc. I tried 1400 but it didn't even begin to start up,
it just froze.

Have a look at this page:
http://www.all-about-pc.de/english/H...a7v133/ASUSa7v
133_install.asp

Also, it may pay to look for an updated BIOS for it.

I already have the latest BIOS revision.

Thanks for the answers and the link.

Old March 23rd 04, 10:55 PM
J. Codling

"That Other Guy" wrote in message
| On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 10:30:48 +1200, "~misfit~"
| wrote:
[...SNIP...]
| When I set it manually (by adjusting the multiplyer) the
steps are
| 1000, 1400, etc. I tried 1400 but it didn't even begin to
start up,
| it just froze.

This answer tells you that the FSB *IS* set to 100.
(10x100=1000/14x100=1400)

Try setting the jumpers on your mainboard instead of relying
on the "jumperless" settings.

I have an A7V (the original non-133) with a Duron 1300 in it
(the old 13x100fsb version) and it does not like jumperless
mode. I set the jumpers manually. Refer to your manual on
how to set the jumpers and try that. Set them to 133fsb x 10
multiplier. If it doesn't POST then you know that the
multiplier is locked and the board won't let it work.
--
ttyl,

CiRcUiT -=- J. Codling -=- www.jcodling.com

*This message represents the official opinions of the voices
in my head*

Old March 23rd 04, 11:04 PM
kony

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 17:48:38 -0500, That Other Guy
wrote:

I am almost certain that I had the FSB and the memory set a 133 with
the Duron.

That may be the problem. From a latency standpoint it would've been
better left at synchronous 100MHz setting, and now that you have the
133MHz FSB CPU it now "needs" set to synchronous setting... that is, if
you haven't already.

You could merely assume the memory is fine but might as well TEST that
with http://www.memtest86.com

Also you were a bit vague about "bluescreen at startup".
What, exactly, was that bluescreen?
When, exactly, did it occur?
Have you tried to see where it stopped in a bootlog?
If you were to boot to DOS and do (whatever) would it stay running?

Just for the heck of it I'll ask; are you sure the heatsink is
well-seated, properly installed?

The motherboard has always been absolutely trouble free since I got
it. Same with the memory. The only new thing is the processor. Am I
safe in assuming that the processor is defective? Or is there
something else I should try?

Is it staying cool enough?
Is your power supply decent, not a generic, and your voltage readings are
still the same?

Have you tried the jumpered mode?
Have you considered that if the northbridge is too hot it'll be less
stable at 133MHz FSB?

When I set it manually (by adjusting the multiplyer) the steps are
1000, 1400, etc. I tried 1400 but it didn't even begin to start up,
it just froze.

When all else fails, reset cmos to defaults and try it afterwards,
changing ONLY FSB to 133 for the time being.

I already have the latest BIOS revision.

"Sometimes" a board will run better with something other than the latest
bios. You might see if there's any archives for your board at web forums
like http://forums.amdmb.com , which bios versions have (any particular)
attributes.

Old March 24th 04, 02:16 AM
~misfit~

wrote:

That Other Guy wrote:
A7V133 BIOS REV 1009, Athlon Thunderbird 1.33 GHz

I swapped the original 900 MHz Duron with what was supposed to be a
1.33 GHz Athlon Thunderbird.

When I ran the computer the processor showed up as a 1000 MHz
Athlon.

The board is configured to be jumperless.

In the BIOS setup it gives me two choices for the CPU speed: 1000,
which is where it's at, and 1333 which is what the chip is rated at
and the speed I would like it to run. But when I set it at the
higher speed the computer blue screens during the startup process.

I know it isn't the memory because I have had the memory set at its
rated 133 for years, and if I leave the CPU and FSB at 1000 I can
run the memory at 133 no problem.

From what I know of this mobo it is impossible to run the FSB and
memory bus at different speeds. Therefore, if you've been running
the FSB at 100Mhz, you've been running the memory at 100Mhz as well.

I am almost certain that I had the FSB and the memory set a 133 with
the Duron.

The Duron 900 ran on a 100Mhz FSB. I honestly doubt you had it on a 133Mhz
FSB unless you unlocked the multipier and reduced it, it was *very*
difficult to get those CPUs to run at 1.2ghz (9 x 133). Are you sure that
your RAM is rated for 133Mhz? That seems to be the problem from here.

[...]

That tells me your FSB is still on 100Mhz.

Have a look at this page:

http://www.all-about-pc.de/english/H...a7v133/ASUSa7v
133_install.asp

Also, it may pay to look for an updated BIOS for it.

I already have the latest BIOS revision.

Thanks for the answers and the link.

No probs. As I said above, I think you're still on a 100Mhz FSB and am
inclined to think your RAM is only rated for that.

Good luck.
--
~misfit~

Old March 24th 04, 03:25 AM
That Other Guy

wrote:

That Other Guy wrote:
A7V133 BIOS REV 1009, Athlon Thunderbird 1.33 GHz

I swapped the original 900 MHz Duron with what was supposed to be a
1.33 GHz Athlon Thunderbird.

When I ran the computer the processor showed up as a 1000 MHz
Athlon.

The board is configured to be jumperless.

In the BIOS setup it gives me two choices for the CPU speed: 1000,
which is where it's at, and 1333 which is what the chip is rated at
and the speed I would like it to run. But when I set it at the
higher speed the computer blue screens during the startup process.

I know it isn't the memory because I have had the memory set at its
rated 133 for years, and if I leave the CPU and FSB at 1000 I can
run the memory at 133 no problem.

From what I know of this mobo it is impossible to run the FSB and
memory bus at different speeds. Therefore, if you've been running
the FSB at 100Mhz, you've been running the memory at 100Mhz as well.

I am almost certain that I had the FSB and the memory set a 133 with
the Duron.

The Duron 900 ran on a 100Mhz FSB. I honestly doubt you had it on a 133Mhz
FSB unless you unlocked the multipier and reduced it, it was *very*
difficult to get those CPUs to run at 1.2ghz (9 x 133).

I guess it was only the memory that I had running at 133MHz. I never
did anything fancy with the setting of the computer. It just worked.

Are you sure that
your RAM is rated for 133Mhz? That seems to be the problem from here.

It is absolutely rated at 133MHz. That's what I ordered, that's how
it's labeled, that's the setting it works at. Right now the computer
is working fine at this setting:

Current CPU Speed 1000MHz
Operating Frequency Setting 1000MHz
CPU Clok Multiplier 10.0x
FSB Frequency 100MHz
DRAM Frequency 133MHz

It works fine this way. It only has problems if I change the CPU and
FSB to 133MHz. I might be wrong, but it seems to me that it isn't
likely the memory if it is running now at 133 with no problems. I am
running Memtest on it right now just to be sure. So far it hasn't
found any problems.

Old March 24th 04, 04:22 AM
~misfit~

wrote:
[...]

Are those figures from Memtest? If not where from?

Cheers,
--
~misfit~

Old March 24th 04, 04:48 AM
J. Codling

"That Other Guy" wrote in message
[..SNIP..]
| It is absolutely rated at 133MHz. That's what I ordered,
that's how
| it's labeled, that's the setting it works at. Right now
the computer
| is working fine at this setting:
|
| Current CPU Speed 1000MHz
| Operating Frequency Setting 1000MHz
| CPU Clok Multiplier 10.0x
| FSB Frequency 100MHz
| DRAM Frequency 133MHz
|
| It works fine this way. It only has problems if I change
the CPU and
| FSB to 133MHz. I might be wrong, but it seems to me that
it isn't
| likely the memory if it is running now at 133 with no
problems. I am
| running Memtest on it right now just to be sure. So far
it hasn't
| found any problems.

I assume the above numbers are from your BIOS.

Are you completely sure you have an A7V133? I have an A7V
(not 133) and I know it won't do 133 fsb because of the
limits of the chipset as it was never designed to go to
133fsb.

Your Duron IS a 1.3 as it is supposed to run at 133x10. It
is a newer one, that's all. I have a Duron running for very
small server duties here and it is a 100x13 older model.

Is there a setting to change the AGP/PCI/ISA bus speed
and/or multipliers? If so, make sure you are not
overclocking them as well.

Old March 24th 04, 05:45 AM
That Other Guy

wrote:
[...]

Those numbers are right from the BIOS. I played around with it some
more and got it working like this:

Current CPU Speed 1266MHz
CPU Clok Multiplier 9.5x
FSB Frequency 133MHz
DRAM Frequency 133MHz

It runs perfectly this way.

Then, just for the heck of it, I tried it like this:

Current CPU Speed 1330MHz
CPU Clok Multiplier 9.5x
FSB Frequency 140MHz
DRAM Frequency 140MHz

I didn't expect it to work, and it didn't. Crashed before it was
fully booted up. I put it back to 1266MHz as listed above. I figure
that's the best I will get out of it.