Gamecube production halted!

Old August 11th 03, 12:14 PM
Brad Bishop

MS has nothing to compare with in it's history. it is it's first
console, and as such is doing decently well.

Its losing money. Anybody but micro$oft would have gone broke with this.
This is like like the .com fever ... when it was more important to have
hype, style, and cool products than it was to have boring things like
profit... or even revenue.

Microsoft is "doing decently well" because businesses so tied to
microsoft they're in a situation where they buy thousands of "Client
Access Licnenses" so that the software they bought for one computer can
legally talk to the software they bought for another computer. And they
can't get out of it because switching vendors is even more expensive.

I think those who've brought up MS losing money on the XBox make an
excellent point. They can't just keep losing money on it forever and still
please their investors.

I was mainly thinking 'perception-wise' in terms of Sony being on top with
Xbox in second place and GameCube in third.

Nintendo is doing lousy. they're still around, and selling just as much
as MS, but come on...they're dead in the water!

More hype. The company is profitable. Period. In 'the real world' that's
all that matters.

I think they are profitable because of their GameBoy business. It seems
(from the articles which I've read including statements from higher-ups at
Nintendo (I don't have any links handy)) that the GameCube is thought of as
a bit of a blunder on their part. They seem to be saying things like, "How
do we not make the same mistake next time?" (which is good - it's a
realization that they have goofed this one up a bit.)

Nintendo has released it's fourth major console, and we can see them
going farther downhill (marketshare wise) each year.

From 90%+ with the NES they really only had one direction to go. Sure
Sony has won this round, everybody agrees, but all three are poised for
the next round. Its far too early to call a winner for the next round.
Maybe it'll be Microsoft... maybe its their turn in the sun... but
consoles aren't like operating systems or office suites, they get
replaced wholesale every few years and the next round after that is
anybody's grab.

While the 'once on top' statement does have merit, I still think that there
is something to being associated with creating losing products. The NES was
when they were on top (forgetting GameBoy for a moment). With the SNES, N64,
and GameCube, they've seemingly screwed it up just a bit more each time.

I think Atari is a good example of this. They had their huge success with
the 2600. The 5200 was a dog, sales-wise, and the 7800 was even worse. They
then try to re-enter and bring out the Jaguar in the mid-90s. I think the
people associate Atari with failed machines and thus stayed away from the
Jaguar. They'd more likely go with a Nintendo or Sega over it because of
Atari's past failures. It's no fun owning the machine that was left behind.
People see that and avoid buying a machine that they will feel left behind
on.

Well beyond console sales there is software sales. (I don't know what
the software sales per unit is so can't judge). By software standards
one could be beyond the other so even though they may have the same
console sales 9 million, software sales could vary by several million
in and of themselves.

And again profitability rears its ugly head. We all know Nintendo was
making more per title than MS. So even if MS outsold 2 titles to 1 its
possible Nintendo walked away with more cash from it.

Sooner or later MS is going to want to run XBOX like a business, with
profitability expectations. When that happens it will be a much more
interesting environment.

I think you (and others) have made excellent points in regards to MS and
their sales and profitability (well, with regards to their video game
division).

Have a great week!

Brad

Old August 11th 03, 01:46 PM
Robert P Holley

"Phil" wrote in message
om...
Gene Poole wrote in message

Brad Bishop wrote:

I don't think the GameCube sucks or is crappy or anything, I think

it's just
losing out to a more popular competitor (for whatever reasons). Sony's
Playstation2 is obviously doing well. The XBox is doing fairly well as

a 2nd
place condendor even though it's numbers aren't all that great either

with
MS losing money over the deal. They're still in the game, though.

this always strikes me as funny, and seems like people either hold MS
and Nintendo to two different standards, or talk out of both sides of
their mouths.

MS is doing great, only the xbox isn't selling that much!

Nintendo is doing lousy. they're still around, and selling just as much
as MS, but come on...they're dead in the water!

I hate spin.

as far as I can tell (unless I'm wrong, which is entirely possible as
I've been absent for like a month here) the GC and Xbox, overall, have
pretty much the same sales. yet one os doomed while the other is a smash
success. I don't get it.

You are wrong, latest numbers have Xbox up on GC by 4 million units.
Even if you spot it the 800k is this announcemnet from Nitendo thats
still 3.2 million more Xboxes sole than GCs. Of course the PS2 has
sold 40 million more than the Xbox so it's satying #1 in sales.

Will you stop already with this erroneous EGM quote.

Old August 11th 03, 03:13 PM
Scott H

"SewerFiss" wrote in message

Scott H wrote in message

"Ribbit" wrote in message

What would be nice is if they made the machine play GBA, N64, SNES and

NES
games. That would boost sales for SURE! Imagine how many people have

those
consoles. How much space do you have under your TV for 4 different

Nintendo
machines !? Makes sense.

Do you have any idea how nasty the machine would look if it had a

catridge
port capable of playing each of those formats?

Something like...THIS perhaps?

http://www.rattlebrain.com/~opaopa/ntower2.jpg

*SCREAMS*

...word is bondage....

Old August 13th 03, 06:05 AM
Phil

"Shadow" wrote in message . ..
"Phil" wrote in message
om...
Gene Poole wrote in message

Brad Bishop wrote:

[...]

Microsoft themselves in their quarterly report stated under no uncertain terms
that they sold 9.4 million units as of June 30th of this year, 2003. Now shut
the **** up about EGM, you moron.

Which qtr? Gotta link? Because I'd like to see it. I remember reading
something to that affect in March but that would be Q1 wouldn't it.
Old August 13th 03, 06:06 AM
Phil

"El Guapo" wrote in message news:bWbZa.105483$o%2.47315@sccrnsc02...
"Phil" wrote in message
om...
"El Guapo" wrote in message

"Roj" wrote in message
On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 08:10:50 GMT, Impmon wrote:

Not necessarily. It could be just too many unsold GC sitting around

and
they'd resume production after a few months.

Um, it's August. This is not a month typical of
unsold-inventory-after-the-holiday-buying-spree.

Umm... this was for the April - June period, remember?

let's face it:

The thing was always an "also ran" compared to both the X-Box and PS2.

That "also ran" has sold as many machines as the XBox.

No 4 million less than the Xbox, of course the Xbox has also sold 40
million less than the PS2

According to EGM anyway.

How many times do we have to point out to you that EGM was wrong? Did you
recently take a hit to the head? Have you been chewing on lead paint chips?
I mean, come on!

According to Sony they were right about the PS2 numbers :-)
Old August 13th 03, 05:48 PM
Gene Poole

Phil wrote:
"El Guapo" wrote in message news:bWbZa.105483$o%2.47315@sccrnsc02...

"Phil" wrote in message
.com...

"El Guapo" wrote in message

> [...]

"Roj" wrote in message
m...

[...]

faulty reasoning, and also prolly specious. since they were correct on
one set of numbers they must therefore be correct on all others? it
doesn't follow.

--
Gene Poole

There's too many sharks in the gene pool
Too many screw-ups washing on shore
Too many sharks in the gene pool
Too many preventable accidents among us

Old August 13th 03, 10:44 PM
Death rides a pale cow

Gene Poole wrote

faulty reasoning, and also prolly specious. since they were correct

on
one set of numbers they must therefore be correct on all others? it
doesn't follow.

Is it true the Gamecube keeps tigers away? I haven't seen any tigers
since I bought it.

Old August 14th 03, 12:35 AM
Shadow

"Phil" wrote in message
om...
"Shadow" wrote in message

. ..
"Phil" wrote in message
om...
Gene Poole wrote in message

Brad Bishop wrote:

[...]

Not per quarter, all units sold worldwide up to June 30th, 2003 from the time of
launch. It was in their Q4 report released last month. If you could stop
masturbating to EGM's articles long enough, you might've seen it.

http://www.microsoft.com/msft/earnin...rel_q4_03.mspx

Sixth paragraph down. Note the part where it says, and I quote:

"Since the launch of Xbox in 2001, Microsoft has sold over 9.4 million Xbox
consoles worldwide"

Now please, gather up what's left of your self-respect and stop quoting EGM like
it's your ****ing Bible.

Coaster production in NERO Jim T. Cdr 9 October 15th 04 09:36 AM
Yamaha has ceased production of all CD-R/RW models David Oseas Cdr 10 October 13th 04 08:23 PM
Next-Gen DVD Camps Prep for Price War Ablang General 0 August 22nd 04 04:01 AM
cheap CD production moving to China? Brendan R. Wehrung Cdr 1 February 18th 04 02:35 PM
A7V333 bad production run? Jan Meder Asus Motherboards 5 July 23rd 03 03:24 AM