A7N8X-Dlx, 1007 bios questions

Old October 16th 03, 03:11 PM
dino

if you see no benefit...why not flash it back?....no meaning to be a
@4#$##@#!!....

Old October 17th 03, 12:18 AM
Thomas Andersson

Default A7N8X-Dlx, 1007 bios questions

Hi!

Just updated to v1.007 on my Rev 2.0 A7N8X-Deluxe.

Now when I boot I get by memtest, but when I get to scanning IDE devices I
get a red color-blob all over the screen and then I get the next bios
screen.

System still boots though, but the first boot after the flash I got a bunch
of win pop-ups saying "PCI memory found" and now I have 4 "NVIDIA nForce2
Memory Controller" entries in addition to the "NVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400
Memory Controller". Is this right or indicative of a problem? (All 5 devices
says there's no driver installed for it).

What drivers should I use for the SATA controller with this bios? (Only
using the SATA controlelr for 2 optical drives, no RAID).

Best Wishes
Thomas

Old October 17th 03, 01:13 AM
Thomas Andersson

Thomas Andersson wrote:

Just updated to v1.007 on my Rev 2.0 A7N8X-Deluxe.

Now when I boot I get by memtest, but when I get to scanning IDE
devices I get a red color-blob all over the screen and then I get the
next bios screen.

System still boots though, but the first boot after the flash I got a
bunch of win pop-ups saying "PCI memory found" and now I have 4
"NVIDIA nForce2 Memory Controller" entries in addition to the "NVIDIA
nForce2 Ultra 400 Memory Controller". Is this right or indicative of
a problem? (All 5 devices says there's no driver installed for it).

What drivers should I use for the SATA controller with this bios?
(Only using the SATA controller for 2 optical drives, no RAID).

Just had to add that I seem to have some other problem as well.
Now when I boot (disabled quick boot) all mem is checked and it looks OK,
it's reported as 200MHz and Dual-Chan.. but after POST the reporter always
says "Memory test failed - now booting from OS".

:/

Best Wishes
Thomas

Old October 17th 03, 01:29 AM
Jeff Hansman

Kinda makes you wonder why you flashed at all. Was there some wonderful
feature you couldn't live without that your previous BIOS lacked?

FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
http://mail.giantcompany.com

Old October 17th 03, 02:27 AM
Thomas Andersson

Jeff Hansman wrote:

Kinda makes you wonder why you flashed at all. Was there some
wonderful feature you couldn't live without that your previous BIOS
lacked?

Sigh, now that was extremely helpfull, wasn't it?
Do I now have to justify my reasons for flashing my mobo? Am I to predict
every possible problem and thus skip the flash?
How about instead of posting pointless crap like that actually try to do
some good, like post something helpfull?

Best Wishes
Thomas

Old October 17th 03, 05:08 AM
stanmc

Thomas Andersson wrote:
Jeff Hansman wrote:

Kinda makes you wonder why you flashed at all. Was there some
wonderful feature you couldn't live without that your previous BIOS
lacked?

Sigh, now that was extremely helpfull, wasn't it?
Do I now have to justify my reasons for flashing my mobo? Am I to predict
every possible problem and thus skip the flash?
How about instead of posting pointless crap like that actually try to do
some good, like post something helpfull?

Best Wishes
Thomas

The idea of newsgroups as a helpful place went away long time ago. It is
now a place to make others problems worse by annoying the hell out of them.

As for your points about the memory devices etc with no drivers, mine
say the same. I had to point the system to my 2.45 nforce2 files so that
a file nvmemctl.cat could be installed for the ultra400 when it was
found as new hardware. Don't know about the red blobs. Is it possible
you upgraded to 1007, as I did, for the SATA BIOS upgrade?

Old October 17th 03, 07:00 AM
BigFNDeal

Try the Demoulous Uber Bios 1007. This may work better for you. I am waiting
for my IOSS BIOS Savior to flash mine.

--
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe rev2.0 Demoulous Uber Bios 1005 SATA Enhanced
Athlon XP 1700+ T'bred B running 11.5x168 (1.93 GHz) @ 1.65volt

Old October 17th 03, 07:22 AM
Marty L. Williams

I have a Rev 1.04; the multiple devices are normal and they are not
suppose to have drivers. I have 5 entries also. Had them from day one.

I'm using the SATA driver version 1.0.0.29

I went from 1004Uber to 1007 w/o any problems.

Don't know about the red blob.

Ta...
Marty L. Williams

Old October 17th 03, 12:27 PM
Tocapet

This is not meant to be a flame, just help. On the Asus website, you can
usually find out what mods were made in any bios version and decide from
that if you want it. Also, there is a version for A7N8X Deluxe ver 2.0 and
ANOTHER version for the ver 1.4 boards. Be sure you DLed the right one.

Old October 17th 03, 01:15 PM
David Walker

Now when I boot I get by memtest, but when I get to scanning IDE
devices I get a red color-blob all over the screen and then I get the
next bios screen.

Never seen that - sorry.

System still boots though, but the first boot after the flash I got a
bunch of win pop-ups saying "PCI memory found" and now I have 4
"NVIDIA nForce2 Memory Controller" entries in addition to the "NVIDIA
nForce2 Ultra 400 Memory Controller". Is this right or indicative of
a problem? (All 5 devices says there's no driver installed for it).

Yeah, mine did that. Everything seems to work still, so I never thought
much more about it.

What drivers should I use for the SATA controller with this bios?
(Only using the SATA controller for 2 optical drives, no RAID).

I have 1.0.0.22 from Silicon Image - i've had it ages though so can't
remember where I got it from. I just run a single drive on the SATA.

Just had to add that I seem to have some other problem as well.
Now when I boot (disabled quick boot) all mem is checked and it looks OK,
it's reported as 200MHz and Dual-Chan.. but after POST the reporter always
says "Memory test failed - now booting from OS".

Mine has always said that - I only ever hear it after reflashing the BIOS
though since I disable it straight away. Just turn it off and ignore it.

David