A7V333 and bios 1017 issue

Old July 9th 03, 08:44 PM
Dead

Default A7V333 and bios 1017 issue

Hi,

I've been using the 1008 bios on my A7V333-RAID for a long time. I
recently updated to 1017 and ever since then, when I'm booting I don't
get the "hit del to enter setup" message. It says to hit tab to show
post screen or alt+f2 to enter setup. Hitting alt+f2 does nothing.
Hitting tab entered setup the first few times I rebooted but now it
does nothing. Any ideas? I might try going back to 1008, updating
didn't solve the problem I was hoping it would anyway.

Thanks.
Old July 10th 03, 02:07 AM
Paul

Look under the Boot tab in the CMOS setup utility. There you will find the
"Full Screen Logo" option. With it enabled you will see the pretty picture with
the "Hit Tab to show post screen". I think that by the time you are actually
able to hit the tab, your chance to hit Del is already past. You still should
be able to hit the Del key to enter back into the CMOS setup utility even with
the Logo screen being displayed.

Paul

Old July 11th 03, 04:11 AM
Dead

Sorry. part of my description was inaccurate. I've done some testing
and found out some more details.

I used "aflash" to update the bios. When I'm booting I get the
messages 'press tab for post screen' but the second one actually says
'press alt + f2 to enter EZ Flash utility'. I tried this and it went
into aflash even though my aflash floppy diskette was not in the
drive. Somehow aflash got stored in memory somewhere, it seems. I also
can hit Del to get into the bios setup now, even though it doesn't
give that onscreen as an option anymore. I do get the full screen logo
picture and that's the same screen that gives the tab and alt+f2
messages. It used to say Del to enter bios setup but now only says the
alt+ f2 for ez flash.

So I guess I'm wondering how to get aflash out of there and have it
revert back to the 'tab to show post screen' and 'press del to enter
bios setup' options on the fancy logo screen. When I first boot up,
before it even shows the colorful logo screen, there is a milisecond
where I can see a line of white text in the top-left corner of the
screen, as if its loading something, maybe aflash. Then it proceeds to
the logo and giving me the two options.

The last time I updated my bios I used Asus Update, I should have used
it this time too.

Thanks for replying.

- Sean

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 21:07:44 -0400, "Paul"
wrote:

Look under the Boot tab in the CMOS setup utility. There you will find the
"Full Screen Logo" option. With it enabled you will see the pretty picture with
the "Hit Tab to show post screen". I think that by the time you are actually
able to hit the tab, your chance to hit Del is already past. You still should
be able to hit the Del key to enter back into the CMOS setup utility even with
the Logo screen being displayed.

Paul

.. .

Old July 12th 03, 02:25 AM
Paul

Response inline...
"Dead" wrote in message
Sorry. part of my description was inaccurate. I've done some testing
and found out some more details.

I used "aflash" to update the bios. When I'm booting I get the
messages 'press tab for post screen' but the second one actually says
'press alt + f2 to enter EZ Flash utility'. I tried this and it went
into aflash even though my aflash floppy diskette was not in the
drive. Somehow aflash got stored in memory somewhere, it seems. I also
can hit Del to get into the bios setup now, even though it doesn't
give that onscreen as an option anymore. I do get the full screen logo
picture and that's the same screen that gives the tab and alt+f2
messages. It used to say Del to enter bios setup but now only says the
alt+ f2 for ez flash.

Asus may have change the labeling around a little in this BIOS. I have not gone
to it yet as the version I am using is just find for me right now. I also have
turned off the Logo screen per instructions in my last response to you. The
Delete key should still work to get you back into CMOS setup utility. I am
pretty sure Asus would not have change this at all.

So I guess I'm wondering how to get aflash out of there and have it
revert back to the 'tab to show post screen' and 'press del to enter
bios setup' options on the fancy logo screen. When I first boot up,
before it even shows the colorful logo screen, there is a milisecond
where I can see a line of white text in the top-left corner of the
screen, as if its loading something, maybe aflash. Then it proceeds to
the logo and giving me the two options.

When the computer first comes on and the video adapter starts outputing video,
it usually reports what type of adapter it is (and mine shows how much video
memory is installed as well). Then when BIOS initializes enough to start
"talking" to the graphics card it switches the screen to display either 1) the
POST information or 2) the Full Screen Logo. The choice is yours and is
configurable in CMOS.

The last time I updated my bios I used Asus Update, I should have used
it this time too.

It really does not matter what you used to get the new firmware into the BIOS.
Once it is there, it will execute the instructions the BIOS programmers have
instructed to do. So if you use EZ-flash , Asus Update or aflash utility, you
end up with the same information in your BIOS flash prom and it will do what it
is supposed to do (unless you have a bad flash and then the board usually does
nothing).

Paul

wrote:

Look under the Boot tab in the CMOS setup utility. There you will find the
"Full Screen Logo" option. With it enabled you will see the pretty picture

with
the "Hit Tab to show post screen". I think that by the time you are actually
able to hit the tab, your chance to hit Del is already past. You still

should
be able to hit the Del key to enter back into the CMOS setup utility even

with
the Logo screen being displayed.

Paul

.. .

Old July 17th 03, 12:29 PM
Baldrick

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 03:11:28 +0000, Dead wrote:

snip
So I guess I'm wondering how to get aflash out of there and have it
revert back to the 'tab to show post screen' and 'press del to enter
bios setup' options on the fancy logo screen. When I first boot up,
before it even shows the colorful logo screen, there is a milisecond
where I can see a line of white text in the top-left corner of the
screen, as if its loading something, maybe aflash. Then it proceeds to
the logo and giving me the two options.

snip

As far as I know, the EZflash utility ships as part of the bios. I don't
know if it's even possible to "get rid of it".

baldrick