How to put a STOP to continuing printing?

Old October 30th 03, 02:08 AM
del

Default How to put a STOP to continuing printing?

Running XP with a HP Deskjet 970 Cxi, and on occasion, it screws up
somehow and starts printing garbage out.

Stopping this is a pain. Cancelling the job does little or nothing.

Anyone know what I can look for in Taks Manager to actually halt the
process?

Thanks,

del
Old October 30th 03, 05:10 AM
Bob Headrick

"del" wrote in message
Running XP with a HP Deskjet 970 Cxi, and on occasion, it screws up
somehow and starts printing garbage out.

Stopping this is a pain. Cancelling the job does little or nothing.

Anyone know what I can look for in Taks Manager to actually halt the
process?

How are you canceling the job? If you press the "X" key on the printer it
should cancel the current job - actually stop the printing, the remainder of
the job will still be sent to the printer which may take a few minutes if it is
a very large job.

XP (unlike Win 98) does a pretty good job of canceling jobs - first "pause
printing" then "cancel all print jobs" (or just the specific one).

Regards,

Old October 30th 03, 03:43 PM
Zuri

I found that the best way to stop these garbage printing by doing the
following:

1. Cancel any printing job for that printer
2. Turn off the printer
3. Restart the printer spool (control panel -- administrative tools
-- Services --- Print Spooler, click on it and you will see the
restart at the top center part of the screen
4. Restart the computer
5. Check that the printer does not have any job in queue, if it does,
cancel it, and restart the printer spool again.
6. Turn the printer on

It should solve the problem.

Good luck.

Old November 2nd 03, 09:00 PM
JP Roberts

The XP driver really sucks and with the kind of help we get from HP, who
have not bothered to issue a specific driver for my 895 cxi the best we can
do is never to buy HP again.

Back to your point. Of course, nobody has the time to restart a computer and
such and such things only to cancel a printing job.

The only practical advice is the following (it works for my 895cxi, which
worked like a charm under Windows 98, pushing the off button was enough to
kill any job immediately):

..- Do not push the off button on the printer - this will only make things
worse!
..- Before clicking on "cancell all jobs", make sure the printer is printing
and if there is no paper, put some scrap paper in. Then, and only while the
machine is actually printing, click on "cancell all jobs" as many times as
necessary - normally once or twice will be enough.

My two cents,

JP Roberts

Old November 3rd 03, 12:45 AM
Old Nick

On Sun, 2 Nov 2003 22:00:13 +0100, "JP Roberts" wrote
something
.......and in reply I say!:

The XP driver really sucks and with the kind of help we get from HP, who
have not bothered to issue a specific driver for my 895 cxi the best we can
do is never to buy HP again.

Yeah. That's what I did. Now I have an _Epson_! :-
Until I do the other one,this one means nothing
Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music

!!
")
_/ )