Widescreen resolution for 1680x1050

Old January 12th 05, 12:25 AM
Manfred Pressler

Default Widescreen resolution for 1680x1050

Hi all ,
can somebody please tell me if the Leadtek 6600 GT AGP is able to make
a 1680x1050 resolution !
I would like to buy the new Dell 2005FPW TFT and this tft has this
native setting.

Thanks
Manfred
Old January 12th 05, 03:31 AM
gimp

Manfred Pressler wrote:
Hi all ,
can somebody please tell me if the Leadtek 6600 GT AGP is able to make
a 1680x1050 resolution !
I would like to buy the new Dell 2005FPW TFT and this tft has this
native setting.

i have the same question.... i checked the release notes of nVidia's
latest drivers an they don't mention that resolution... but then i know
people are using that monitor on PCs.... surely some must have nVidia
cards...?
Old January 12th 05, 06:42 AM
RaceFace

If you're using the DVI connection on the monitor, your video card MUST have
a dual-link DVI connector on it, to support that large a resolution. I know
my eVGA 6800GT has a dual-link (DVI-I) plug.

Check Leadtek's site for manuals and specs and such, to find out if the card
has a dual-link connector.

Old January 12th 05, 11:58 AM
Manfred Pressler

RaceFace schrieb:
If you're using the DVI connection on the monitor, your video card MUST have
a dual-link DVI connector on it, to support that large a resolution. I know
my eVGA 6800GT has a dual-link (DVI-I) plug.

Check Leadtek's site for manuals and specs and such, to find out if the card
has a dual-link connector.

Hi ,
thx for your answer.Does that mean that if my videocard has an DVI-I
connector i could choose that resolution ?
My Leadtek has an DVI-I connector but when i looked into the inf-file
from Nvidia reference driver there is no 1680x1050 resolution avaiable.

Manfred
Old January 12th 05, 01:56 PM
RaceFace

"Manfred Pressler" wrote in message
Hi ,
thx for your answer.Does that mean that if my videocard has an DVI-I
connector i could choose that resolution ?
My Leadtek has an DVI-I connector but when i looked into the inf-file from
Nvidia reference driver there is no 1680x1050 resolution avaiable.

Manfred

Yes, if you have a DVI-I connector, you can support that resolution. Hm.. I
don't know why that resolution wouldn't be in the inf file. Unless of
course your current monitor is limiting the choices you get somehow. But
that shouldn't limit what is available in the inf file.

Of course, the inf file may only list the default resolutions supported - if
your monitor supports different ones, those probably would also be
selectable.

Old January 12th 05, 03:55 PM
J. Clarke

RaceFace wrote:

"Manfred Pressler" wrote in message
Hi ,
thx for your answer.Does that mean that if my videocard has an DVI-I
connector i could choose that resolution ?
My Leadtek has an DVI-I connector but when i looked into the inf-file
from Nvidia reference driver there is no 1680x1050 resolution avaiable.

Manfred

Yes, if you have a DVI-I connector, you can support that resolution. Hm..
don't know why that resolution wouldn't be in the inf file. Unless of
course your current monitor is limiting the choices you get somehow. But
that shouldn't limit what is available in the inf file.

Of course, the inf file may only list the default resolutions supported -
if your monitor supports different ones, those probably would also be
selectable.

Uh, I think you have a misconception about DVI-I. DVI-I has nothing to do
with dual link, DVI-I means that the analog signals are also present on the
connector.

http://www.datapro.net/techinfo/dvi_info.html
http://www20.graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041129/tft_connection-06.html

According to nvidia the only models that support dual-link DVI are the
6800DDL series intended for use in Macs and some of their QuadroFX
workstation boards.

In answer to the original question 1680x1050 should be within the
capabilities of single-link DVI--as to getting the resolution, it may be
necessary to use powerstrip http://entechtaiwan.net/util/ps.shtm.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old January 12th 05, 05:58 PM
Les

"Manfred Pressler" wrote in message
Hi all ,
can somebody please tell me if the Leadtek 6600 GT AGP is able to make
a 1680x1050 resolution !
I would like to buy the new Dell 2005FPW TFT and this tft has this native
setting.

Thanks
Manfred

If its not there, just add it via the built in nvidia custom resolution
option.

My Leadtek 6800GT supports massively higher resoltions than my monitor can
display which is a max of 1600*1200 (well for a laugh I did once try
2048x2048 but it would only display at 60Hz and it hurt my eyes!)

--
Les
AMD64 3200+

Old January 13th 05, 12:09 AM
gimp

RaceFace wrote:
If you're using the DVI connection on the monitor, your video card MUST have
a dual-link DVI connector on it, to support that large a resolution.

.... a single DVI connection will work even with 23" 1920x1200 LCDs, only
if you go above that (eg. with the apple 30" display) will you need dual
link.

Old January 13th 05, 10:36 AM
Manfred Pressler

Les schrieb:
"Manfred Pressler" wrote in message

Hi all ,
can somebody please tell me if the Leadtek 6600 GT AGP is able to make
a 1680x1050 resolution !
I would like to buy the new Dell 2005FPW TFT and this tft has this native
setting.

Thanks
Manfred

If its not there, just add it via the built in nvidia custom resolution
option.

My Leadtek 6800GT supports massively higher resoltions than my monitor can
display which is a max of 1600*1200 (well for a laugh I did once try
2048x2048 but it would only display at 60Hz and it hurt my eyes!)

Hi Les ,
of course youre right :-) i found that option when i look a little more
exactly to my driver settings tab.
Thank you very much for helping me

Manfred
Old January 13th 05, 04:39 PM

... a single DVI connection will work even with 23" 1920x1200 LCDs,
only
if you go above that (eg. with the apple 30" display) will you need

dual
link.

Only if you reduce the blanking. Otherwise the spec only support
1600x1200.

Eric