WD data lifeguard tools on a HDD with data on it

Old October 11th 05, 01:25 PM
Peter

You posted a link to Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS (CD) NOT Data
Lifeguard Tools 11

"Diagnostic" and "Tools" are different programs, but thanks anyway

What about that:
http://support.wdc.com/download/?cxml=n&pid=999&swid=1

Old October 11th 05, 01:48 PM
Greg

Peter

Unfortunately Data Lifeguard Tools 11 for Windows will only let me
install a new drive by partitioning and formatting which I don't want
to do.

Joep

Once this is taken care of and if this was the issue, Windows can now access
the backup boot sector and the non formatted message disappears.

I followed your instructions but Windows will still not see the data

I will try a Linux boot CD to recover data by copying it somewhere else
and report the results

Old October 11th 05, 01:50 PM
Greg

Any suggestions on data recovery software to use?

I will install it and report the results

Old October 11th 05, 01:57 PM
Peter

Any suggestions on data recovery software to use?

I will install it and report the results

How much do you value data on that drive?
Or is that just an exercise?

Old October 11th 05, 02:35 PM
Greg

Peter wrote:
Any suggestions on data recovery software to use?

I will install it and report the results

How much do you value data on that drive?
Or is that just an exercise?

I would like to get some of the files back if I can. Most are backed up
but there are some I would like.

I am not prepared to spend a lot of money to purchase software if I
don't know it will work. I have noticed a lot of the tools have a demo
version which allows the identification of files which may be
recoverable.

Any reccomendations?

Old October 11th 05, 02:44 PM
Peter

How much do you value data on that drive?
Or is that just an exercise?

I would like to get some of the files back if I can. Most are backed up
but there are some I would like.

I am not prepared to spend a lot of money to purchase software if I
don't know it will work. I have noticed a lot of the tools have a demo
version which allows the identification of files which may be
recoverable.

Any reccomendations?

With information you have supplied I cannot recommend any tools.

Next time, make sure you backup ALL of the files you like to have back; not
just SOME.

Old October 11th 05, 02:49 PM
Greg

Peter wrote:
With information you have supplied I cannot recommend any tools.

Next time, make sure you backup ALL of the files you like to have back; not
just SOME.

You are right, backing up is the best solution always. Data recovery
software is a last resort.

I will try some out and report the results

Old October 11th 05, 07:08 PM
Rod Speed

Greg wrote
Rod Speed

You posted a link to Data Lifeguard Diagnostic
for DOS (CD) NOT Data Lifeguard Tools 11

"Diagnostic" and "Tools" are different programs, but thanks anyway

All there is is listed on that same page.

What you claim is supplied with hard drives in some
situations is just what is listed on that web page.

Old October 12th 05, 04:47 AM
Greg

Rod Speed wrote:
Greg wrote
Rod Speed

You posted a link to Data Lifeguard Diagnostic
for DOS (CD) NOT Data Lifeguard Tools 11

"Diagnostic" and "Tools" are different programs, but thanks anyway

All there is is listed on that same page.

What you claim is supplied with hard drives in some
situations is just what is listed on that web page.

I saw listed:
Data Lifeguard Tools 11 for Windows
Data Lifeguard Tools 11 for DOS
Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS (Floppy)
Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS (CD)
Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows

I could not see Data Lifeguard Tools 11 for DOS (CD).

I have tried the Data Lifeguard Tools 11 for DOS but my floppy drive is
not working properly, which I why I am looking for the CD version.

Old October 12th 05, 04:55 AM
Greg

I asked for the logfile to be posted in our forum.
sorry - my mistake

Anyway, at first glance the partition table and boot sector look fine.

I am hoping this is a good sign

Make sure this is not a Windows problem that may result in behavior as you describe it: Windows may have trouble accessing the entire disk and can not reach the backup boot sector. SP4 is allright, you may need to edit the registry as well:

To enable EnableBigLba in the Windows registry, perform the following steps:
a.. Start a registry editor (e.g., regedit.exe). In Windows, click on Start-Run, enter "regedit".
a.. Navigate to the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Serv ices\atapi\Parameters
registry subkey.
a.. From the Edit menu, select New, DWORD Value.
a.. Enter the name EnableBigLba, then press Enter.
a.. Double-click the new value, set it to 1, then click OK.
a.. Close the registry editor.
a.. Restart the machine for the change to take effect.

Once this is taken care of and if this was the issue, Windows can now access
the backup boot sector and the non formatted message disappears.

Booting up windows said the disk needed to checked for consistency and
then started deleting "orphaned file segments"

In case that was bad, I re-started and next time skipped disk checking.

Should I boot up and allow the disk to be checked and all the "orphaned
file segments" to be deleted? I am worried that they are actually the
files I want.

If this did not resolve the issue you may need a Linux boot CD to recover
data by copying it somewher else.

Linux reports: mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on
/dev/hdb1

missing codepage or other error

If that does not work you need a file recovery tool.

I have partially scanned the drive and the only files found so far are
in the last folder that I put on the drive.

Not sure what to do next