A computer components & hardware forum. HardwareBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » HardwareBanter forum » General Hardware & Peripherals » Printers
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

What's the oldest printer you still use these days?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old April 8th 19, 09:22 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.printers,comp.periphs.printer,comp.periphs.printers
Ant[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 710
Default What's the oldest printer you still use these days?

My colony still uses a HP LaserJet 6P connected to a 2008 15" MacBook
Pro with parallel - USB adapter. I had to install Gutenprint's printer
drivers in Mac OS X (Leopard v10.5.8 and El Capitan v10.11.6) to use it.
I still have my HP PhotoSmart 8450 inkjet printer. They both mostly work
with a few minor annoying issues (e.g., paper feeds).

Thank you for reading and hopefully answering.
--
Quote of the Week: "If you're an ant, and you're walking along across
the top of a cup of pudding, you probably have no idea that the only
thing between you and disaster is the strength of that pudding skin."
--Jack Handey from Saturday Night Live
Note: A fixed width font (Courier, Monospace, etc.) is required to see this signature correctly.
/\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://aqfl.net & http://antfarm.home.dhs.org /
/ /\ /\ \ http://antfarm.ma.cx. Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail.
| |o o| |
\ _ /
( )
  #2  
Old April 8th 19, 11:01 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.printers,comp.periphs.printer,comp.periphs.printers
GlowingBlueMist[_9_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 53
Default What's the oldest printer you still use these days?

On 4/8/2019 3:22 PM, Ant wrote:
My colony still uses a HP LaserJet 6P connected to a 2008 15" MacBook
Pro with parallel - USB adapter. I had to install Gutenprint's printer
drivers in Mac OS X (Leopard v10.5.8 and El Capitan v10.11.6) to use it.
I still have my HP PhotoSmart 8450 inkjet printer. They both mostly work
with a few minor annoying issues (e.g., paper feeds).

Thank you for reading and hopefully answering.


I have a HP LaserJet 4100 I inherited when I retired that I still use
almost daily.

Nice being able to get around 10000 pages per cartridge.
I have even been able to locate a few new cartridges that were donated
to Habitat for Humanity and the Salvation Army stores for around $3 to
$5 bucks so I don't have to deal with the mess of refilling the old ones
or paying retail for new ones, so far.

None of those dreaded drop dead IC chips in these toner cartridges
trying to kill off the old beast so the age of a sealed toner cartridge
is not a problem.

The beast works just fine with the latest Windows 10 Pro or when using
my VMware Workstation virtual versions of XP, W7, W8 machines.
  #3  
Old April 9th 19, 12:07 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Bob Eager[_5_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5
Default What's the oldest printer you still use these days?

On Mon, 08 Apr 2019 15:22:40 -0500, Ant wrote:

My colony still uses a HP LaserJet 6P connected to a 2008 15" MacBook
Pro with parallel - USB adapter. I had to install Gutenprint's printer
drivers in Mac OS X (Leopard v10.5.8 and El Capitan v10.11.6) to use it.
I still have my HP PhotoSmart 8450 inkjet printer. They both mostly work
with a few minor annoying issues (e.g., paper feeds).

Thank you for reading and hopefully answering.


I use two HP LaserJet 4M+ machines, manufactured in 1993.
  #4  
Old April 9th 19, 12:10 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.printers,comp.periphs.printer,comp.periphs.printers
Ant[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 710
Default What's the oldest printer you still use these days?

In alt.comp.periphs.printers GlowingBlueMist wrote:
On 4/8/2019 3:22 PM, Ant wrote:
My colony still uses a HP LaserJet 6P connected to a 2008 15" MacBook
Pro with parallel - USB adapter. I had to install Gutenprint's printer
drivers in Mac OS X (Leopard v10.5.8 and El Capitan v10.11.6) to use it.
I still have my HP PhotoSmart 8450 inkjet printer. They both mostly work
with a few minor annoying issues (e.g., paper feeds).

Thank you for reading and hopefully answering.


I have a HP LaserJet 4100 I inherited when I retired that I still use
almost daily.


Nice being able to get around 10000 pages per cartridge.
I have even been able to locate a few new cartridges that were donated
to Habitat for Humanity and the Salvation Army stores for around $3 to
$5 bucks so I don't have to deal with the mess of refilling the old ones
or paying retail for new ones, so far.


None of those dreaded drop dead IC chips in these toner cartridges
trying to kill off the old beast so the age of a sealed toner cartridge
is not a problem.


The beast works just fine with the latest Windows 10 Pro or when using
my VMware Workstation virtual versions of XP, W7, W8 machines.


Nice. Did Windows include drivers for it already or did you have to find
and download them?

--
Quote of the Week: "If you're an ant, and you're walking along across
the top of a cup of pudding, you probably have no idea that the only
thing between you and disaster is the strength of that pudding skin."
--Jack Handey from Saturday Night Live
Note: A fixed width font (Courier, Monospace, etc.) is required to see this signature correctly.
/\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://aqfl.net & http://antfarm.home.dhs.org /
/ /\ /\ \ http://antfarm.ma.cx. Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail.
| |o o| |
\ _ /
( )
  #5  
Old April 9th 19, 05:12 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Ant[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 710
Default What's the oldest printer you still use these days?

Bob Eager wrote:
On Mon, 08 Apr 2019 15:22:40 -0500, Ant wrote:


My colony still uses a HP LaserJet 6P connected to a 2008 15" MacBook
Pro with parallel - USB adapter. I had to install Gutenprint's printer
drivers in Mac OS X (Leopard v10.5.8 and El Capitan v10.11.6) to use it.
I still have my HP PhotoSmart 8450 inkjet printer. They both mostly work
with a few minor annoying issues (e.g., paper feeds).

Thank you for reading and hopefully answering.


I use two HP LaserJet 4M+ machines, manufactured in 1993.


Nice. Where do they connect to?
--
Quote of the Week: "If you're an ant, and you're walking along across
the top of a cup of pudding, you probably have no idea that the only
thing between you and disaster is the strength of that pudding skin."
--Jack Handey from Saturday Night Live
Note: A fixed width font (Courier, Monospace, etc.) is required to see this signature correctly.
/\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://aqfl.net & http://antfarm.home.dhs.org /
/ /\ /\ \ http://antfarm.ma.cx. Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail.
| |o o| |
\ _ /
( )
  #6  
Old April 9th 19, 06:54 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.printers,comp.periphs.printer,comp.periphs.printers
GlowingBlueMist[_9_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 53
Default What's the oldest printer you still use these days?

On 4/8/2019 6:10 PM, Ant wrote:
In alt.comp.periphs.printers GlowingBlueMist wrote:
On 4/8/2019 3:22 PM, Ant wrote:
My colony still uses a HP LaserJet 6P connected to a 2008 15" MacBook
Pro with parallel - USB adapter. I had to install Gutenprint's printer
drivers in Mac OS X (Leopard v10.5.8 and El Capitan v10.11.6) to use it.
I still have my HP PhotoSmart 8450 inkjet printer. They both mostly work
with a few minor annoying issues (e.g., paper feeds).

Thank you for reading and hopefully answering.


I have a HP LaserJet 4100 I inherited when I retired that I still use
almost daily.


Nice being able to get around 10000 pages per cartridge.
I have even been able to locate a few new cartridges that were donated
to Habitat for Humanity and the Salvation Army stores for around $3 to
$5 bucks so I don't have to deal with the mess of refilling the old ones
or paying retail for new ones, so far.


None of those dreaded drop dead IC chips in these toner cartridges
trying to kill off the old beast so the age of a sealed toner cartridge
is not a problem.


The beast works just fine with the latest Windows 10 Pro or when using
my VMware Workstation virtual versions of XP, W7, W8 machines.


Nice. Did Windows include drivers for it already or did you have to find
and download them?

Windows 10 did not have the drivers for or automatically discover the
printer when first installed.

Mine has an Ethernet adapter in it so I used the manual method and
choose the IP address (or port) of the printer.

I had to use the Microsoft Update method, which took quite a while to
download the drivers. After that there were 2 sets of Hewlett Packard
and one HP directory of drivers. I found the LaserJet 4100 driver in
the HP directory which I installed.
  #7  
Old April 9th 19, 09:18 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Bob Eager[_5_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5
Default What's the oldest printer you still use these days?

On Mon, 08 Apr 2019 23:12:43 -0500, Ant wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:
On Mon, 08 Apr 2019 15:22:40 -0500, Ant wrote:


My colony still uses a HP LaserJet 6P connected to a 2008 15" MacBook
Pro with parallel - USB adapter. I had to install Gutenprint's
printer drivers in Mac OS X (Leopard v10.5.8 and El Capitan v10.11.6)
to use it.
I still have my HP PhotoSmart 8450 inkjet printer. They both mostly
work with a few minor annoying issues (e.g., paper feeds).

Thank you for reading and hopefully answering.


I use two HP LaserJet 4M+ machines, manufactured in 1993.


Nice. Where do they connect to?


They're on the network.

The server that drives them is running FreeBSD and CUPS. There are three
Windows 7 machines which print through that (and many FreeBSD machines).
Driver for Win 7 is easily downloaded from Microsoft but I haven't tried
Windows 10 yet.
  #8  
Old June 2nd 19, 04:11 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Yeechang Lee[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default What's the oldest printer you still use these days?

Bob Eager wrote:
The server that drives them is running FreeBSD and CUPS.


Is CUPS, given that it is open source, immune to the Windows problem
of newer OS versions no longer supporting older printers?

--
geo:37.783333,-122.416667
  #9  
Old June 2nd 19, 10:54 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Bob Eager[_5_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5
Default What's the oldest printer you still use these days?

On Sat, 01 Jun 2019 20:11:12 -0700, Yeechang Lee wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:
The server that drives them is running FreeBSD and CUPS.


Is CUPS, given that it is open source, immune to the Windows problem of
newer OS versions no longer supporting older printers?


Well, it's running a 1993 LaserJet or two.

As long as you have a PPD file..
  #10  
Old June 3rd 19, 02:49 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Gernot Hassenpflug[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 43
Default What's the oldest printer you still use these days?

Bob Eager writes:

On Sat, 01 Jun 2019 20:11:12 -0700, Yeechang Lee wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:
The server that drives them is running FreeBSD and CUPS.


Is CUPS, given that it is open source, immune to the Windows problem of
newer OS versions no longer supporting older printers?


Well, it's running a 1993 LaserJet or two.

As long as you have a PPD file..


In some cases, no: CUPS removed the SCSI library, so that would need to
be compiled separately if you want to use printers through an Adaptec
card or some other SCSI interface. At least that is my understanding
(testing an old ALPS with SCSI interface).
--
NNTP on Emacs 25.2 from Windows 7
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why is it taking days to copy 80gigs from internal to external USBdrive takes days [email protected] Storage (alternative) 4 February 24th 08 04:24 PM
Re.: Canon BJC 5500 Printer *Untested* 3 days left Alan Erskine Printers 0 October 15th 03 11:17 AM
Re.: Canon BJC 5500 Printer *Untested* 3 days left Alan Erskine Printers 0 October 15th 03 11:17 AM
FS: Canon BJC 5500 Printer *Untested* 3 days left Tosh Man Printers 4 October 13th 03 01:21 PM
FS: Canon BJC 5500 Printer *Untested* 3 days left Tosh Man Printers 0 October 13th 03 05:56 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 HardwareBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.