proliant 3000 - loud

Old June 3rd 05, 01:07 PM
coffi

Default proliant 3000 - loud

Hi,
i use my proliant 3000 very well, but the machine is so loud. Is there a
way to control the fans?

Best Regards

coffi

Old June 3rd 05, 07:53 PM
Guy Macon

coffi wrote:

i use my proliant 3000 very well, but the machine is so loud. Is there a
way to control the fans?

There are two good ways to address this:

[1] put it in another room or in it's own closet.

[2] Find some quiet 3-wire (with tach) fans that have roughly the same
air-handling capacity, and replace the current set.

Old June 3rd 05, 08:20 PM
NuTCrAcKeR

[1] put it in another room or in it's own closet.

i remommend this option, unless you are trying to use it as a "desktop"
machine, and have it wedged under your desk.

- lc

Old June 3rd 05, 08:55 PM
coffi

Hi,
the second way is the way to go. But the compaq fans use 4 wire. Is it a
problem to use it without the fours?

I test at this time without the redudant fans. At my Stsem they have
black frames. And its a silent. It is Ok to use it without this fans? Ok
when one of the fans will be broken the system overheat but else?

Is there a way to check the state of the fans from linux?

coffi

Old June 3rd 05, 09:41 PM
NuTCrAcKeR

HP System Managment Agents, and the System Management Homepage.

Its really a 3 wire fan, with a 4 pin connector, If you look closely, you
will notice that there is only 1 black wire that goes to the fan, and that
there is a "loop" from one header pin to another.

Truely, its more trouble than its worth. Its a server, designed to work 24x7
in a datacenter environment. Noise is never a consideration.

if you want a quiet system, just use a PC, not a server.

- LC

Old June 3rd 05, 10:00 PM
coffi

yes its true, but at our little office, we have a small room for server
and copy machine, and this is a passage romm to an other romm and its
very exhausting to close the door ;-)

thx for your minds.

coffi

Old June 3rd 05, 11:45 PM
Guy Macon

coffi wrote:

the second way is the way to go. But the compaq fans use 4 wire. Is it a
problem to use it without the fours?

Compaq fans use three wires and look like they have 5 wires.
One of the wires goes up an inch or so and then loops back

I test at this time without the redudant fans. At my Stsem they have
black frames. And its a silent. It is Ok to use it without this fans? Ok
when one of the fans will be broken the system overheat but else?

Unless the 3000 is a lot different from my 5500, if you don't
run redundant fans and a fan fails, it will shut down instead of
overheating. How important is not having it shut down to you?

Is there a way to check the state of the fans from linux?

With a microphone hooked to a sound card? grin

Old June 4th 05, 01:50 AM
NuTCrAcKeR

you need a min of 3 fans for a 3000 or 5500 to work. If you add the
redundant fan option to either, you need to disable the fan in the back. the
post message will say that you are running in an unsupported config, and do
the F1 prompt ...

- LC