Can I run IDE Drives and SATA Drives Together?

Old November 10th 04, 03:41 PM
Harry Putnam

"C.Read" writes:

In my case I use the SATA 1 for boot up, which requires the driver disk
during the windows install process. It is important to set up the Array for

Not to derail this thread but:
C.Read,
Can you elaborate a little on what you mean about the `requires a
driver disk' part?

I'm running 2 SATA and 1IDE [no raid config] (its on K8V SE mobo).
I've had some problems switching my OS from 1SATA to 1IDE, although it
did boot in either place. sometimes it seems the boot sequence
doesn't see the SATA drives until booted. I've used no special
drivers at boot up but maybe that is the problem...

Old November 10th 04, 03:48 PM
Harry Putnam

Rob writes:

Install/Copy the SATA driver files into a directory on the IDE drive and

[...]

Rob, Are these drivers something that comes with the drives or
something winxp has on the cd.... I have 2 SATA drives installed on
K8V SE mobo, on sata1 and sata2 (both masters) [no raid]. And an IDE
on IDE1 [also master].

I didn't get any drivers but these were installed in a shop onto this
system. They are WD200gb sata ... maybe I can get the drivers you
mention from the website?

I can boot an os on sata1 or ide1 but don't do anything about special
drivers.

It seems like ghosting stuff across would have some problems too, and
I think I may be having them....
Old November 10th 04, 06:50 PM
Rob

Harry Putnam wrote:

Rob writes:

Install/Copy the SATA driver files into a directory on the IDE drive and

[...]

Rob, Are these drivers something that comes with the drives or
something winxp has on the cd.... I have 2 SATA drives installed on
K8V SE mobo, on sata1 and sata2 (both masters) [no raid]. And an IDE
on IDE1 [also master].

I didn't get any drivers but these were installed in a shop onto this
system. They are WD200gb sata ... maybe I can get the drivers you
mention from the website?

I can boot an os on sata1 or ide1 but don't do anything about special
drivers.

It seems like ghosting stuff across would have some problems too, and
I think I may be having them....

I know the SATA drivers are on the disk that comes packed with ASUS
boards that have nVidia chip sets. I would suspect the same with their
VIA boards. If not, the Promise driver for SATA/RAID is on the ASUS web
site. If a partition is ghosted from the IDE and the driver has not
been installed then things will probably hang when you attempt to boot
from the SATA drive!! I had no problem using Ghost to transfer my
system from IDE to SATA, nor did I need to add any special drivers for
that process.
Rob
Old January 5th 05, 01:46 AM

I have a P4S8X and have been running a single IDE drive for a couple
years. Now I want to install a single 250 GB SATA drive as extra
storage but I can't get the system to see the hard drive. I have
installed the updated Promise drivers and IDE drivers for Win XP but I
can't even get the FastTrack Utility to come up by hitting Ctrl-F -
FastTrack doesn't even see the drive connected. To make it worse, when
the drive is connected (to controller and power) my system grinds to a
crawl even though the drive isn't recognized in either the BIOS or in
Windows. Once I disconnect power from the drive everything goes back
to normal.

I'm wondering if I have a defective drive, but I have no way of using
Maxtor's diag tool since it supposedly won't recognize any drive
connected to an onboard controller. Does anyone have any similar
experience to mine? Am I missing some necessary item/action to get
this drive recognized and installed? PLEASE HELP!

Mike

Old January 6th 05, 04:17 PM
Dick

Had the4 same issue of adding another hd and not having XP recognize it. Got
a copy of Boot IT (freware program for single user). Booted from it and then
told it to check the drives; saw the ne one; told it to format that drive;
rebooted into XP; went to My Computer and it saw the drive; clicked on the
drive and it asked if windows should format it? (yes). Drive is now usable.

oups.com...