A7N8X DLX BIOS Update - How???

Old December 1st 03, 11:48 PM
Paul

Default A7N8X DLX BIOS Update - How???

Hi,

I've been trying this evening to update the BIOS from 1003 to the
lastest 1007.

I can't get the flash utility to run by pressing ALT+F2 at POST so
ended up making a boot disk containing the latest version of
AWDFLASH.EXE (8.24b) and the new BIOs 1007.

Although I can now run the flash utility I can't get it to write the
new BIOS. I managed to backup the existing BIOS, but the system just
seems to lock up when I press 'Y' to initiate the writing of the new
BIOS to the chip. =-s

When I do use the boot disk I cannot see my HD's at all so I can't
copy the AWDFLASH.exe utility and new BIOS to the root of the C:\
drive and have instead been using these directly from the boot floppy.

I'm running Windows Home XP
A7N8X Delux Revsion 2 board - yes I did get the correct BIOS version.

Please help! Really stumped as to why it won't work or why I can't
gain access to my HD's when using the boot disk. There's nothing I can
find in the FAQ's on the Asus website that is of any use.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Old December 1st 03, 11:57 PM
AJ

I can't get the flash utility to run by pressing ALT+F2 at POST so
ended up making a boot disk containing the latest version of
AWDFLASH.EXE (8.24b) and the new BIOs 1007.

In the BIOS you must have "allow update" on. Or it won't let you
change the BIOS. I keep it "off" so bad programs can't mess with it.
------------
When your PC gives a little they give a lot.
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/disco
Old December 2nd 03, 12:13 AM
Paul

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 18:54:28 -0500, "RonK" wrote:

Try with the boot-sector antivirus in bios is disabled.

Already disabled.
Old December 2nd 03, 12:14 AM
Paul

On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 23:57:44 GMT, AJ wrote:

In the BIOS you must have "allow update" on. Or it won't let you
change the BIOS. I keep it "off" so bad programs can't mess with it.

I just had a good look at my current BIOS - this option is nowhere to
be found? =-s
Old December 2nd 03, 01:12 AM
RonK

Have you tried the Asus Update. It will be on the Asus disk or you can
download it from Asus. It will download and flash your bios from within
windows. I have flashed my Asus A7V8X with it twice with no problems.

here's the link:
http://www.asus.com/support/download...odelName=Tools

Old December 2nd 03, 08:12 AM
Matt

"Paul" wrote in message
Hi,

I've been trying this evening to update the BIOS from 1003 to the
lastest 1007.

I can't get the flash utility to run by pressing ALT+F2 at POST so
ended up making a boot disk containing the latest version of
AWDFLASH.EXE (8.24b) and the new BIOs 1007.

Have you got the disk in the drive when you press ALT+F2?

You have to have it in for it to proceed.

Old December 2nd 03, 04:53 PM
Paul

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 20:12:07 -0500, "RonK" wrote:

Have you tried the Asus Update. It will be on the Asus disk or you can
download it from Asus. It will download and flash your bios from within
windows. I have flashed my Asus A7V8X with it twice with no problems.

Thanks, I did see that when I was looking through the User Manual late
last night and was intending to look into it as a possible solution
today. However, the problem has now been solved following another post
here. ;-)
Old December 2nd 03, 04:56 PM
Paul

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 08:12:26 -0000, "Matt"
wrote:

I can't get the flash utility to run by pressing ALT+F2 at POST so
ended up making a boot disk containing the latest version of
AWDFLASH.EXE (8.24b) and the new BIOs 1007.

Have you got the disk in the drive when you press ALT+F2?

You have to have it in for it to proceed.

Homer Simson voice on

DOH!

Homer Voice off

LOL. What a fool. Clearly I should have read the instructions a little
closer regarding the use of ALT+F2! You guessed it - I never had the
disk in the drive.

Still a little miffed/confused as to why it would not work by using
the boot disk method. Still it's all sorted now - Thanks very much,
really appreciate that. Now running with BIOS 1007. ))

Old December 2nd 03, 06:27 PM
Matt

wrote:

I can't get the flash utility to run by pressing ALT+F2 at POST so
ended up making a boot disk containing the latest version of
AWDFLASH.EXE (8.24b) and the new BIOs 1007.

Have you got the disk in the drive when you press ALT+F2?

You have to have it in for it to proceed.

Homer Simson voice on

DOH!

Homer Voice off

LOL. What a fool. Clearly I should have read the instructions a little
closer regarding the use of ALT+F2! You guessed it - I never had the
disk in the drive.

Still a little miffed/confused as to why it would not work by using
the boot disk method. Still it's all sorted now - Thanks very much,
really appreciate that. Now running with BIOS 1007. ))

Heh heh no worries it happened to me when I first tried to flash the bios.

I guess thats what instructions are for eh?!?