Asus P5B Deluxe WiFi-AP Boot UP Help?

Old October 30th 06, 12:50 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
AJ

Default Asus P5B Deluxe WiFi-AP Boot UP Help?

I've had a raid zero config set up and it was working fine until I went to
use the Mitsumi 7 in 1 media card reader. Now my system will only boot
when the Compact Flash card is in the media reader slot. WTF! The problem
with this is it takes forever to boot into Windows XP Pro. I've truned off
all boot up devices in the BIOS(latest ver. 0711) with exception to Raid0
drives. Also I tried to disable the Card reader device but to no avail.
I've even tried all settings back to default but can't get going unless I
plug in any Compact flash card. Am I missing something here? I'm using
Asus P5bDeluxe wi-fi AP, Intel E6700 core2duo, 1G OCZ Gold DDR2-800, Asus
EN7600gt video card, Mitsumi 7in 1 Media reader with floppy, SonyDL DVD
Burner, Creative XFI. AJ

Old October 31st 06, 05:53 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

AJ wrote:

I've had a raid zero config set up and it was working fine until I went to
use the Mitsumi 7 in 1 media card reader. Now my system will only boot
when the Compact Flash card is in the media reader slot. WTF! The problem
with this is it takes forever to boot into Windows XP Pro. I've truned off
all boot up devices in the BIOS(latest ver. 0711) with exception to Raid0
drives. Also I tried to disable the Card reader device but to no avail.
I've even tried all settings back to default but can't get going unless I
plug in any Compact flash card. Am I missing something here? I'm using
Asus P5bDeluxe wi-fi AP, Intel E6700 core2duo, 1G OCZ Gold DDR2-800, Asus
EN7600gt video card, Mitsumi 7in 1 Media reader with floppy, SonyDL DVD
Burner, Creative XFI. AJ

I've heard of this happening before, but no simple workaround.
The BIOS USB mass storage code module, is seeing the devices
the card reader offers, then likely probes the card reader,
waiting for a "drive" to "become ready". Unplugging the USB card
reader is one solution, and only plugging it in when needed.
As in, place the device in an external enclosure. This is easier
if it uses a conventional USB cable.

I guess the USB code in the BIOS, doesn't realize that the
card reader should be ready immediately (since there
is no "spinup time" on a memory card). But being a USB
mass storage piece of code, it is probably tuned for
USB connected hard drives, and so it dutifully waits
for the timeout interval, hoping to see one of the
slots on the card reader, become ready.

There are devices like this, a USB switch. With this, you
could effectively disconnect the USB card reader, and by
pushing the button, access it when needed. A device like
this would avoid wear and tear on a USB connector. Now,
the trick is, to find a product like this that lives in
a hard drive tray.

Maybe one of these could be mounted in a drive tray, if you
are good with drill and dremel. Only push the button, to
select your card reader, when you need it. Leave card reader
deselected, to support fast rebooting.

Fuji PLUS MMI PW-121A 2 To 1 USB Switch Vertical/push Button.

Paul
Old October 31st 06, 10:52 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Bubba

Can't you just change the boot device order in BIOS?

Old October 31st 06, 10:54 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
AJ

Thanks Paul---I hope the next bios update for addresses the issue on this
relatively new motherboard---until then I will disconnect the $19 piece of
equipment. It's not worth waiting on the boot time to scan the CF disks.
I've never seen this on any other Asus Board---I've previously owned Asus
P4c800dlx, P4t-E, Cusl2, P2b, TX97E, etc....

Old November 1st 06, 02:49 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
AJ

Been there, done that...
no go