6200 cipset

Old April 9th 07, 06:02 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
GuessWho

Default 6200 cipset

I have a Fusion nVidia 6200 8x AGP card with the following resolution
details:

Maximum Digital Resolution at 32-bit color: 1600 x 1200 @ 60Hz*

* Supports up to 1920 × 1440 @ 60Hz on fl at panel displays that support
reduced blanking

I currently use a Sony 19" CRT monitor from the d-sub but I am contemplating
getting a 22" WS LCD and use the DVI output and a web search hasn't turned
up anything useful.

I was wondering if this is some kind of trick to compensation for the lack
of true 1920 support on this card.

Do all new flat panels support this reduced blanking? What are the effects
of using it? Is it specified somewhere in the LCD specs? Looking through
some of the offerings on Newegg, there is nothing apparent about reduced
blanking.

TIA,

Wayne

Old April 9th 07, 07:41 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
SoCalCommie

For starters, most 22" wide-screen displays max out at 1680 x 1050 (16:10) -
I haven't seen any 22" displays that resolve 1920 x 1080 and, even if one
did, it would probably co$t more than a 37" 1080p monitor! I have a 22" Dell
($276 from Dell) that works with an nVidia 7900GT, nVidia 6600GT (both
running 93.71 drivers which support your card), and a ATI AIW 9600XT AGP
(running 8.221 drivers) no problemo... I also have a Westy LVM-37w1 1080p
monitor that only cost me $1510 in November of '05 - I believe the newer w3
can be had for less than $1000.

SoCalCommie

"Behind every great fortune is a crime." - Honore de Balzac

Old April 9th 07, 11:15 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
GuessWho

"GuessWho" wrote in message

[...]

I know that 22" LCD monitors are usually 1680x1050 and I didn't mean to
suggest that the monitors I'm interested in were 1920. The card I have has a
stated resolution of 1600x1200 which is less than the 1680 resolution of
most WS 22" monitors.

Reduced blanking will allow my card to support up to 1920x1440. The point of
the OP was to find out what reduced blanking is and how I know if the
monitor I'm interested in supports this feature(?).

Wayne

Old April 9th 07, 11:37 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

GuessWho wrote:
[...]

There is a section here which explains reduced blanking.

http://www.playtool.com/pages/dvicompat/dvi.html

Basically, normal blanking is present, to be compatible with potential
use of DVI with a CRT. Blanking is the time for horizontal or vertical
flyback. An LCD doesn't have a beam and there is no flyback process.
For an LCD, just getting the pixels across the cable is enough. Thus
reduced blanking removes the large chunks of "unused" capacity on the
cable. And the above playtool article claims that some older panels
don't support reduced blanking, for whatever reason.

Last night I was checking some product web pages, to get some idea of
how the manufacturers quote this stuff. As near as I could determine,
the stated resolution limit seems to be with normal blanking, as a
1600x1200 60Hz resolution would be about 162MHz on the cable.

I'm going to punt, and point you at a thread like this. How your
hardware works, is all a function of the driver. When I look in
the Forceware Nview manual, reduced blanking is not discusses,
and I don't really know what would happen if you used the custom
resolution box to set the resolution. While in theory, the driver
could use reduced blanking, I don't know if there is enough info
in the EDID or monitor info, to allow this directly and with no fuss
or not. And I don't have a DVI monitor to test it on (mine is VGA).

More guys having fun he

http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion...t13116-50.html

Powerstrip (entechtaiwan.com) is a shareware tool for setting custom
resolutions, but even it must be subject to how the driver works.
Their FAQ page is here.

http://www.entechtaiwan.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=7

Paul

Old April 10th 07, 12:23 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
DaveW[_2_]

That underpowered video card will NOT support the Native Resolution of the
22" LCD (1920 x 1440).

--

DaveW

___________

Old April 10th 07, 10:51 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
GuessWho

"Paul" wrote in message ...
GuessWho wrote:
[...]

Thanx Paul.

I did find the playtool link before I posted but it wouldn't come up. I
found out later in the day that our local Roadrunner provider had been
having an intermittent problem throughout the day. This was likely the
reason it wouldn't come up because I got to the site fine a few minutes ago.

Wayne

geforce 6200 jinxy Nvidia Videocards 0 November 24th 06 01:29 AM
GF2 vs 6200 AGP [email protected] Nvidia Videocards 3 August 27th 06 08:20 PM
6200 AGP SomeOne Nvidia Videocards 10 March 4th 05 12:27 AM
6200 AGP Jimbo Nvidia Videocards 0 March 2nd 05 10:00 PM
6200 AGP DaveL Nvidia Videocards 0 February 23rd 05 06:09 PM