Creative Live card; do I need wires from card to MOBO?

Old December 11th 05, 10:51 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

Default Creative Live card; do I need wires from card to MOBO?

I just installed a Creative Labs Live card. I thought being in the PCI slot
it would have sound immediately upon being installed. I have no sound when
attempting to play music off the HDD. I notice there are pins for on the
card, one of which I know is for connecting the card to a CD rom, but am I
supposed to also be connecting some wire from the card to the MOBO?

Old December 11th 05, 11:35 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

Wilson wrote:
I just installed a Creative Labs Live card. I thought being in the PCI slot
it would have sound immediately upon being installed. I have no sound when
attempting to play music off the HDD. I notice there are pins for on the
card, one of which I know is for connecting the card to a CD rom, but am I
supposed to also be connecting some wire from the card to the MOBO?

No. If the motherboard has onboard sound then it may still be in use.
Try disabling it in the BIOS.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from
Old December 12th 05, 01:57 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

Well, I uninstalled my new ATI radeon and removed it from the MOBO
physically and then reinstalled the sound card. It came right up with no
problems at all. I had noticed that the new video card installed several
things under the Sound Properties in Windows Device Properties.

I will now try to reinstall the video card now that I have the sound card
working right. But I think I am going to have to get a less demanding video
card. This ATI radeon x800 256 bit is probably not going to work well with
my old Asus MOBO.

. ..

Old December 12th 05, 08:22 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 16:51:42 -0600, "Wilson" wrote:

I just installed a Creative Labs Live card. I thought being in the PCI slot
it would have sound immediately upon being installed. I have no sound when
attempting to play music off the HDD. I notice there are pins for on the
card, one of which I know is for connecting the card to a CD rom, but am I
supposed to also be connecting some wire from the card to the MOBO?

Did you remember to plug in the speakers?