AGP card to drive DVI@1600x1200 and VGA@1280x1024?

Old April 7th 07, 03:58 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Grant Edwards

Default AGP card to drive DVI@1600x1200 and VGA@1280x1024?

On 2007-04-07, Benjamin Gawert wrote:
* Grant Edwards:

I've confirmed that the DVI-D max resolution on the MSI 5200
card is 1280x1024. I've found quite a few other 5200 and 6200
cards where the max is 1600x1200. Only the mid/high-end cards
(6600 and up) will do 1920x1200 on DVI outputs.

Nope.

So you're calling me a lier? Point me to specs for a 6200 card
that does 1920x1200.

All Radeon and Geforce cards (even the oldest Radeon 7000 or
Geforce256) does 1920x1200 via DVI.

No, they dont.

The exception are several crap Geforce FX5200 and FX5500 cards
which contain a buggy BIOS that doesn't support reduced
blanking correctly and thus limits their DVI output to
1600x1200... All other Geforce and Radeon cards are just
fine...

Check the specs for EVGA's 6200 and 6600 cards. They're all
speced to only 1600x1200 for the digital output:

http://www.evga.com/products/moreinf...9-T6&family=17
http://www.evga.com/products/moreinf...1-LX&family=17

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! My BIOLOGICAL ALARM
at CLOCK just went off... It
Old April 7th 07, 06:28 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Benjamin Gawert

* Grant Edwards:

I've confirmed that the DVI-D max resolution on the MSI 5200
card is 1280x1024. I've found quite a few other 5200 and 6200
cards where the max is 1600x1200. Only the mid/high-end cards
(6600 and up) will do 1920x1200 on DVI outputs.

Nope.

So you're calling me a lier?

What's your problem? All I said is that your statement is wrong. I don't
know if you are a liar or just don't know it better (which is nothing
bad at all!), and honestly I don't care. But still your statement is wrong.

Point me to specs for a 6200 card
that does 1920x1200.

That's easy. Here you a
http://www2.pny.com/6200-256MB-AGP-P1724C15.aspx
http://www2.pny.com/6200-128MB-AGP-P1723C15.aspx

Just as examples...

All Radeon and Geforce cards (even the oldest Radeon 7000 or
Geforce256) does 1920x1200 via DVI.

No, they dont.

Please get a clue first. They do. Otherwise the bulk of ATI Radeon
7000/7500 I have running at work with HP 24" flat screens (1920x1200)
wouldn't exist. Besides that I ran (and still run) lots of different
cards from old Geforce256 over several GF2MX (some of which are still in
use) up to Quadro FX5500s on 24" TFTs from EIZO, DELL and HP (all
1920x1200). I also have several Radeon cards and an Abit Siluro FX5200
that does run 1920x1200 over DVI...

Besides that I know what these GPUs can do. One of the advantages of my
employee is that we buy GPUs from ATI and Nvidia for embedded
applications and thus have access to the manufacturer documentation.

The exception are several crap Geforce FX5200 and FX5500 cards
which contain a buggy BIOS that doesn't support reduced
blanking correctly and thus limits their DVI output to
1600x1200... All other Geforce and Radeon cards are just
fine...

Check the specs for EVGA's 6200 and 6600 cards. They're all
speced to only 1600x1200 for the digital output:

http://www.evga.com/products/moreinf...9-T6&family=17
http://www.evga.com/products/moreinf...1-LX&family=17

Yes, they list 1600x1200 as maximum. But they also list a 300W PSU as
requirement. Now you think that this card never will run with a 250W
PSU, right? Surprise, these cards *do* run with a 250W PSU. So what?

You should be aware that these "requirements" often are made with the
intention to limit support costs. Thus it's quite common to recommend a
oversized PSU even when the gfx card is a low-end model that doesn't
need much juice. It's also possible that they listed 1600x1200 as max
resolution to avoid support requests (DVI with reduced blanking is much
more sensible to problems than without reduced blanking, often certain
combinations of card, cable and monitor don't work correctly together),
or it's also possible that they artificially crippled the card (which I
don't believe but then I never had to deal with EVGA because they are
not very common here in Germany). No matter what listing 1600x1200 is
really poor because higher resolution monitors are very common today.
Why don't you ask their tech support?

However, all Geforce 6 GPUs which have integrated TDMS transmitters are
capable of 1920x1200. And I don't know of any card maker who cripples
the cards artificially to not support reduced blanking.

Benjamin
Old April 7th 07, 09:50 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Grant Edwards

On 2007-04-07, Benjamin Gawert wrote:

However, all Geforce 6 GPUs which have integrated TDMS transmitters are
capable of 1920x1200.

I'm aware of that. However, I wasn't asking about GPUs, I was
asking about boards. I was asking about boards. As evidenced
by the test results earlier in this thread, there are plenty of
boards who's GPUs are speced for 1920x1200 but the boards still
aren't within spec even at 1600x1200.

And I don't know of any card maker who cripples
the cards artificially to not support reduced blanking.

Buying a board that's spec'ed with a max resolution of
1280x1000 or 1600x1200 and planning to run it at 1920x1200
seems pretty foolish.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! I'm reporting for
at duty as a modern person. I
Old April 7th 07, 11:07 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Benjamin Gawert

* Grant Edwards:

However, all Geforce 6 GPUs which have integrated TDMS transmitters are
capable of 1920x1200.

I'm aware of that.

Obviously not.

However, I wasn't asking about GPUs, I was
asking about boards. I was asking about boards.

The boards are basically the same. They differ in size, they differ in
color, they have different heat sinks, sometimes they also differ in
component placement, but they still are the same standard layout from
Nvidia. Almost all of them also contain the same standard Nvidia BIOS,
and if it's modified the modifications are usually only regarding clock
rates.

As evidenced
by the test results earlier in this thread,

If you are talking about the article on playtool, then take it with a
grain of salt because it contains several errors.

there are plenty of
boards who's GPUs are speced for 1920x1200 but the boards still
aren't within spec even at 1600x1200.

Again: the boards have absolutely no influence on the max resolution via
DVI. The only three things that decide how high your DVI port can go are
the TDMS (or the GPU with built-in TDMS), the gfx card BIOS and the OS
driver. That's it.

And I don't know of any card maker who cripples
the cards artificially to not support reduced blanking.

Buying a board that's spec'ed with a max resolution of
1280x1000 or 1600x1200 and planning to run it at 1920x1200
seems pretty foolish.

Nope. Of course it requires some background knowledge to know why it's
not, and also some experience with how certain gfx board makers put
together the data on their website.

Benjamin