BFG 6800 Ultra OC reports insufficent power

Old March 31st 07, 03:52 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
David Showers

Default BFG 6800 Ultra OC reports insufficent power

Bought card off EBAY with a Zalman cooler, ntune reports 425/1100 and
provides very good display. Problem is that on power up to Windows
NVIDIA reports insufficent power warning & suggests that card will
have reduced POWER, I don't see that. I have a 600W "X" power supply
with minimal power drain.

Thanks,
David

Old March 31st 07, 04:53 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One[_2_]

This is the AGP version with dual 4-pin Molex connectors, right?

1. Make sure the two connectors are coming off of different rails.
2. Make sure the connectors are seated snugly.
3. If you are using a splitter, adapter or extender cable, make sure it is
not defective. (Try it in a different location in your case, like going into
an optical drive.)

Old March 31st 07, 10:17 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
David Showers

I have done suggested things by 1st reply. My motherboard is an ABIT
AV8, could this be the problem?

It is an AGP motherboard. The video card has two molex power
connectors on the end; I have powered both separately from an Ultra
600W power Supply.

Thanks,
David
Old April 1st 07, 12:44 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
DaveW[_2_]

Do you have the additional separate power cable connected to the video card
as required? The motherboard's AGP bus CANNOT supply adequate power on it's
own for the requirements of that card.

--

DaveW

Old April 1st 07, 10:18 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One[_2_]

Verify the card's clock speed *in 3D* with a third-party utility like
Lavalys Everest. (Leave Everest running in the background, then Alt-Tab out
of the game.) If the clock speeds are nominal, then chalk it up to a system
quirk and stop investigating.

Make sure you don't have the card plugged into a "fan-only" power connector.
I am not certain if Ultra power supplies have those; I know some Antecs do.