Cinemaster question

Old July 9th 03, 12:23 AM
- Bobb -

Default Cinemaster question

So, if I had PowerDVD already working (on the transplant) before the card,
then I don't need this card ? and it's useless to this system ? OK. I'll
yank it back out and send it along with the old DVD player to an older
system (and then they'll need to get some Cineplayer software (like my
PowerDVD) ) ?

Has the technology changed so that the function of the old card is now maybe
built into the newer DVD players ?

Thanks for the insight.

Bobb

"Edward J. Neth" wrote in message
igy.com...
It is designed to do the DVD decoding -- it works in tandem with supported
DVD decoder software as a co-processor to your CPU.

Chances are it is designed to work only with the software that the system
came with - it probably will not work in tandem with any more modern DVD
decoder software.

"- Bobb -" wrote in message
Old Dell Dimension R400 (Pentium 2) got replaced by an Optiplex, SO I

took
a few of
the cards out of the R400 and put them in another PC. Dell user has no
manuals to help me out.

here's the question:
Transplant PC has a DVD in there using PowerDVD.

One of the cards I transplanted into this PC is a Cinemaster (Ravisent =
manufacturer) card. OK, I installed it - and a ribbon cable to the STB
Velocity 128 card. Windows 2000 found and loaded a driver (cinemst2
v5.0.2183.1) and device manager shows that it's OK. Yeah, so what do I

DO
with it ? Is it an accelerator ? Or is its purpose to EXPORT video ?
It has what looks like a composite out (single RCA jack). Do I need some
software that it came with originally, or by simply playing a DVD will

it
"kick in" and improve my onboard video ?

I've been looking for info, but not finding any BASIC info - like ---

what
is
this, what does it do, etc.

Anyone heard of it ? know its purpose ? Will it work with ANY DVD

player
/
OS ?

Thanks.

Old July 9th 03, 05:21 PM
- Bobb -

First of all, none of this is critical, I'm just trying to learn why...

Update to the situation:

When this thread started, from the R400 , I put this STB Nvidia ZX 8mb into
the clone as well as the Cinemaster (rather than using the ASUS CUSL system
board onboard VGA as I had been doing). After seeing that it wasn't gonna
help me, I pulled the cinemaster card and left JUST the Nvidia card in. I
then viewed the Eric Clapton Unplugged DVD . Doing this using the Nvidia
without the Cinemaster card caused the screen to "get messed up". It wasn't
refreshing while playing the DVD. In PowerDVD, there is a "control panel".
If the window with Clapton playing was "over any part of the control panel"
and I then moved Clapton a bit, it wouldn't reveal the control panel. That
"old part of the screen" would just show "whatever was last there" , until
I rolled the mouse over it, then it would reveal the control panel a piece
at a time.(like using an eraser in reverse)

I did go get the latest Nvidia driver - same thing.
This is my first use of a AGP card (4x - 8mb) and I'm wondering:

What do you think?

Is the problem the AGP card , that I need the Cinemaster as WELL as the STB
card (they had a ribbon cable between them with the ends labelled DVD ,
GRAPHIC. ) ??

Or a motherboard problem / AGP problem ?

I have no manuals for any of the STB,Cinemaster cards. Tough finding info
at websites - online jpg of the card shows another model - it doesn't look
like mine.

I just pulled the AGP and Cinemaster and I'm back using onboard VGA -
Clapton DVD works fine. Control panel for PowerDVD works fine.

Yeah, I know - if it ain't broke - don't fix it. Just want to learn the
reasons why so that I can use this stuff /DVDplayer in another PC. (I've got
a few extra PC's and a few nieces who would use them and would like a DVD
too)

bobb

=