Apple Desktop Monitor

Old May 13th 10, 07:59 PM posted to comp.os.apple,alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

Default Apple Desktop Monitor

I was given a desktop Apple case and monitor, It comes up fine when I
add to it my USB mouse and keyboard. I notice the monitor connects
with a DVI connector. I wanted to try the monitor one of my MS XP SP3
systems, but I see right off that my DVI connector does not match -
the Apple connector is larger than my connector.

Is there an adapter to make them match? Will my MS machine work then
with this monitor? The monitor is a nice flat-screen.

Duke
Old May 13th 10, 08:36 PM posted to comp.os.apple,alt.comp.hardware
Paul

wrote:
I was given a desktop Apple case and monitor, It comes up fine when I
add to it my USB mouse and keyboard. I notice the monitor connects
with a DVI connector. I wanted to try the monitor one of my MS XP SP3
systems, but I see right off that my DVI connector does not match -
the Apple connector is larger than my connector.

Is there an adapter to make them match? Will my MS machine work then
with this monitor? The monitor is a nice flat-screen.

Duke

Example of a solution.

http://www.gefen.com/pdf/EXT-DVI-2-ADC.pdf

You can see here, that pin 1 and pin 2, carry power to the monitor.
That is why the Gefen box has a 24 volt power supply. I don't know
exactly what the USB cable would be doing, but it does make a
nice source of +5V if that voltage happens to be needed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Display_Connector

You also have to consider the native resolution of the monitor, and
whether your video card supports it or not. Running at the native
resolution, gives the nicest results.

Paul
Old May 13th 10, 09:04 PM posted to comp.os.apple,alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

On Thu, 13 May 2010 15:36:57 -0400, Paul wrote:

Example of a solution.

http://www.gefen.com/pdf/EXT-DVI-2-ADC.pdf

You can see here, that pin 1 and pin 2, carry power to the monitor.
That is why the Gefen box has a 24 volt power supply. I don't know
exactly what the USB cable would be doing, but it does make a
nice source of +5V if that voltage happens to be needed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Display_Connector

Well I sure learned something today! It was laziness on my part that
I did not Google the subject. Sorry about that.

You also have to consider the native resolution of the monitor, and
whether your video card supports it or not. Running at the native
resolution, gives the nicest results.

Paul

Hi Paul and thanks.

Yes, I understand about native resolutions, and had dealt with them. I
can check to see what the resolution is for that monitor, and I will.

Old May 14th 10, 04:03 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Tinkerer

"Paul" wrote in message
I was given a desktop Apple case and monitor, It comes up fine when I
add to it my USB mouse and keyboard. I notice the monitor connects
with a DVI connector. I wanted to try the monitor one of my MS XP SP3
systems, but I see right off that my DVI connector does not match -
the Apple connector is larger than my connector.

Is there an adapter to make them match? Will my MS machine work then
with this monitor? The monitor is a nice flat-screen.

Duke

Example of a solution.

http://www.gefen.com/pdf/EXT-DVI-2-ADC.pdf

You can see here, that pin 1 and pin 2, carry power to the monitor.
That is why the Gefen box has a 24 volt power supply. I don't know
exactly what the USB cable would be doing, but it does make a
nice source of +5V if that voltage happens to be needed.

Probably not the case, but could the 24 volts for the monitor be provided
from the USB supply via some kind of step up transformer within the unit?
--
Tinkerer

Old May 14th 10, 04:52 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

Tinkerer wrote:
"Paul" wrote in message
[...]

Too many watts. USB is only good for 5V @ 500mA. 2.5W would not run a 30W monitor,
which might be a typical spec for a small LCD monitor.

Paul
Old May 14th 10, 05:17 PM posted to comp.os.apple,alt.comp.hardware
Paul

wrote:
On Thu, 13 May 2010 19:55:54 -0400, Paul wrote:

Yeh, I have used this article in the past,
Apple makes an adapter for DVI computer to ADC monitor.

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-M8661LL-..._ptcn_edpp_url

This adapter seems to NOT have power either.

That is my mistake. I think the adapter turns out to be inside
the main "blob". The "blob" has pins for an AC power cord, so
the "blob" plugs into the wall.

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/image...03fea110.L.jpg

I agree, but it causes me to wonder if my video cards and their
present drivers will support the Apple monitor. No point in spending
money for an adapter if my present computers won't support the
monitor.

Thanks for your input.

Duke
Paul

You can get virtually any resolution you want, within reason.
Powerstrip, from entechtaiwan.com can be used. Mainly, that
works with ATI or Nvidia based video cards (and is less likely
to work with things like the GPU inside a laptop). Also, the
ATI and Nvidia control panels, may have provisions for custom
resolution settings.

The horizontal, vertical, front porch, back porch, are all supposed
to be programmable in hardware. This may be more evident, when using
Linux to run the computer hardware. Frequently, people are able to
achieve different and more useful results, while using Linux to drive a
monitor.

In Windows, the limitation could be hard coded ones in the driver.
Some manufacturers of integrated GPUs, choose to not update
their drivers, to support new resolutions when needed. The
limitation may not be fixed by the hardware itself. It is
likely, that a couple hardware registers, hold the setting
for the number of pixels on horizontal and vertical.

A certain vintage of PC video cards, have out-of-spec DVI
outputs. The Wikipedia article on DVI, states what the
top resolution is for single link DVI. There are some
video cards, where the driver, on purpose, won't allow the
highest values to be used. It is because the hardware pad
drivers can't run fast enough, to support that resolution,
and the user would see "colored snow" if they allowed it.
Some cards may pass, some cards may fail. To "cover their tracks",
the drivers blocked the upper resolutions. And one driver writer
error, actually blocked a particular lower resolution value as
well, due to an arithmetic error. The vintage of card,
might be a DVI connector on something around the FX5200 era.
A couple of web sites tested this, using a Tektronix storage
scope and eye diagram software, to do pass-fail testing
of DVI outputs. Those sites have not done comparable
testing, in recent times (likely because all the cards
would pass, and they'd have no article to write).

For example, this card reaches 141MHz, short of the full 165MHz.
The orange signal, is not allowed to touch the three blue
compliance regions. Some cards only make it to 135MHz.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/the-tf...w-1128-18.html

This page shows some "eye failures", where the signal touches the
dark blue regions. The eye diagram software loaded into the scope,
is supposed to automatically adjust for correct amplitude, so there
should be no need for manual adjustments while doing these tests.
(And that is to prevent operator error, from screwing up the
pass or fail.) I've run similar software at work, and it's loads
of fun (I wasn't doing DVI though). Other I/O standards also
have eye diagrams like that, that must be met.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/the-tf...w-1128-11.html

So if a PC card lacks a certain resolution, it could be
the driver preventing you from seeing an out-of-spec output.
But equally well, it could just be lazy driver maintainers,
who don't want to support wide LCD screens, on old video
devices. If Powerstrip supports your hardware, that would be
the solution of last resort, after you've thoroughly checked
your video card drivers (and Googled for hacks to them).

Paul
Old May 18th 10, 11:30 AM
basumayra0910 basumayra0910 is offline
Junior Member

wow ...

its a nice info ..

i just like the monitor very much ...

thanks for posting the topics here .........