Under reporting 4 gigs of RAM in XP?

Old April 24th 08, 03:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Warren[_2_]

Default Under reporting 4 gigs of RAM in XP?

I put 2 2 gig sticks in my new laptop, and the BIOS reports 4 gigs, but
XP reports only 3 gigs. Now, I know that XP can't recognize 4 gigs, but
I have heard that XP should report anywhere between 3.0 to 3.5 gigs (not
sure which numbers are accurate). Is it different for every machine? or
might there be another issue? or are the "Above 3.0 gig" numbers I have
hear inaccurate? the machine is a VAIO VGN-FZ190 that I *upgraded* to XP
(from Vista, blech).

--
HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/ The Sushi FAQ ...((((º
HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/sushiotaku/ The Sushi Otaku Blog
Old April 24th 08, 04:49 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Michael Cecil

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 10:34:17 -0400, Warren
wrote:

I put 2 2 gig sticks in my new laptop, and the BIOS reports 4 gigs, but
XP reports only 3 gigs. Now, I know that XP can't recognize 4 gigs, but
I have heard that XP should report anywhere between 3.0 to 3.5 gigs (not
sure which numbers are accurate). Is it different for every machine? or
might there be another issue? or are the "Above 3.0 gig" numbers I have
hear inaccurate? the machine is a VAIO VGN-FZ190 that I *upgraded* to XP
(from Vista, blech).

3.0 to 3.5 is right. You said it reports 3.0. That's within the given
range.

You can check the full amount of RAM by checking the what the BIOS says
during boot or on one of the BIOS screens.
--
Michael Cecil
http://macecil.googlepages.com/index.htm
Old April 24th 08, 08:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Conor[_2_]

In article , Warren
says...
I put 2 2 gig sticks in my new laptop, and the BIOS reports 4 gigs, but
XP reports only 3 gigs. Now, I know that XP can't recognize 4 gigs, but
I have heard that XP should report anywhere between 3.0 to 3.5 gigs (not
sure which numbers are accurate). Is it different for every machine? or
might there be another issue? or are the "Above 3.0 gig" numbers I have
hear inaccurate? the machine is a VAIO VGN-FZ190 that I *upgraded* to XP
(from Vista, blech).

Yes it is different for every machine and it depends on how much
hardware you have installed and how much RAM there is on your graphics
card.

If you'd have kept with Vista, it'd have reported 4GB....

--
Conor

looking good either. - Scott Adams
Old April 24th 08, 08:14 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Warren[_2_]

Conor wrote:
In article , Warren
says...
I put 2 2 gig sticks in my new laptop, and the BIOS reports 4 gigs, but
XP reports only 3 gigs. Now, I know that XP can't recognize 4 gigs, but
I have heard that XP should report anywhere between 3.0 to 3.5 gigs (not
sure which numbers are accurate). Is it different for every machine? or
might there be another issue? or are the "Above 3.0 gig" numbers I have
hear inaccurate? the machine is a VAIO VGN-FZ190 that I *upgraded* to XP
(from Vista, blech).

Yes it is different for every machine and it depends on how much
hardware you have installed and how much RAM there is on your graphics
card.

If you'd have kept with Vista, it'd have reported 4GB....

That was why I originally got the 4 gigs, hoping I might see a
performance increase. But Vista seems to be teh suck no matter what you
throw at it, hence the upgrade to XP

Old April 24th 08, 10:44 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
DaveW[_5_]

The exact amount that the 32 bit version of XP reports on each motherboard
varies from 3.0 to 3.25, depending on the manufacturer.

--
--DaveW

m...

Old April 25th 08, 01:54 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Ian D

"DaveW" wrote in message
. ..
The exact amount that the 32 bit version of XP reports on each motherboard
varies from 3.0 to 3.25, depending on the manufacturer.

--
--DaveW

It also depends on the amount of PCIe video memory. With 256 MB or
less you may get 3.5 GB reported. Of course, unless applications are
large address aware, and the /3GB switch is set in boot.ini, they will
only be able to access 2 GB.

ID

Old April 25th 08, 02:15 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
DevilsPGD[_2_]

In message "Ian D"
wrote:

"DaveW" wrote in message
The exact amount that the 32 bit version of XP reports on each motherboard
varies from 3.0 to 3.25, depending on the manufacturer.

--
--DaveW

It also depends on the amount of PCIe video memory. With 256 MB or
less you may get 3.5 GB reported. Of course, unless applications are
large address aware, and the /3GB switch is set in boot.ini, they will
only be able to access 2 GB.

Just to clarify, that's up to 2GB per process, so you may still benefit
from all addressable memory, just not from any single application.