DISPLAY ADAPTER/DRIVERS/INFO WANTED

Old August 17th 03, 02:56 PM
kony

Default DISPLAY ADAPTER/DRIVERS/INFO WANTED

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 13:34:35 GMT, "Stephen Jaye"
wrote:

Howdy To All,

I wish to purchase an older PCI display adapter w/correct drivers, or
download correct drivers for present card, I'm ressurecting an old Micron
P166 running Win95 for a disabled retiree. Video card label reads CKA
18507, present identifier and BIOS (appears to have been flashed) is S3 86C
395/396/397 ver. 2.1d.29G+. Can anyone out there point me in the right
direction for downloading drivers, or sell me their old display adapter?
Device manager says this card is a Creative SavageS4 blaster, but the
drivers I downloaded from Creative's website are incorrect and the card's ID
label isn't a Creative #. Methinks the previous owner atempted to improve
performance in an unconventional way. Thanks In Advance!

What makes you think it's been flashed? It displays video when you
turn the system on, right? If so, it likely has the right BIOS, or at
least "close enough". That would suggest that it's some variant of
their Savage4.

Look at the markings on the GPU (main chip). It should read something
like:

S3 family name
86CImportant number

Take that important number, and go here, select it in the "ID" column:
http://ranger.s3graphics.com/swlib/?license=accept

Dave
Old August 17th 03, 03:26 PM
Stephen Jaye

Dave,

Thank you for the URL, I"ve finished downloading and will try to properly
install the adapter card. I felt the BIOS was flashed as the drivers I
downloaded from Creative's website were incorrect- they were ver. 1.02 and,
of course, wouldn't install. I was simply going by the info presented in
Device Manager before I formatted the hard disk. Also, the video driver
disks supplied with this old "gimme PC" were for Diamond Stealth- most
likely the adapter had been replaced at some time. It was all very
confusing; a big "Thanks again" for putting me on the right track! I'm one
of those guys that hoards their OEM software, so this foray into
resurrecting PCs is new to me.

I'll post my results for you.

Stephen