How to Share DSL Connection in a Gigabit Home Network?

Old December 16th 04, 01:14 PM

Default How to Share DSL Connection in a Gigabit Home Network?

I am planning to connect three of my home computers together. So far, I
have got a DSL modem (from the ISP), and a LinkSys Gigabit switch
(EG008W). And I am planning to get a hardware firewall sometime soon.
But when I read the manual of the gigabit switch, I realize that it is
not a router, and it doesn't do DHCP. This means I probably will have
"some problem" to share an internet connection among my computers.

According to my friend, I am supposed to be able to get around with
this problem by assigning a static IP address to each computer in my
home network. But I am trying to get away from doing this.

According to the box-art of the gigabit switch, I am supposed to use a
router between the DSL modem and the gigabit switch. I guess I should
look for a firewall/router that can do DHCP (I have already decided to
get a hardware firewall anyway; I may as well get one that can also
serve as a router). And all the computers will be connecting to the
gigabit switch instead of connecting to the router. This "seems" to be
the way to go.

My question is:

- Will the use of a router work in the way that I
mentioned above? This is in the sense that all the
computers in my home network will be able to share
the DSL connection at the same time, and that I
don't need to assign a static IP address to each
of time. Here, I am assuming that the router has
firewall and DHCP functionality.
Thanks in advance for any info or advice.

Jay Chan

Old December 16th 04, 01:46 PM
kony

On 16 Dec 2004 05:14:07 -0800, wrote:

[...]

Just about any cheap consumer-grade router will do DHCP
these days. Primary issue is then how sophisticated you
need a firewall to be, if you can settle for the basic
function inherant from the router then you only need one
piece of inexpensive equipment. These days a wired or
wireless can be found for under $30 if you keep an eye out
for sales/rebates in the US.

My question is:

- Will the use of a router work in the way that I
mentioned above?

Yes, I have one running in similar configuration, providing
the DHCP function for some PCs on a Gigabit network segment.
I wanted static IP for the boxes so I assigned it through
the router at the MAC level, but there's no need to do that
if you don't "need" static IPs, can just let the default
setting for DHCP do it's thing.

This is in the sense that all the
computers in my home network will be able to share
the DSL connection at the same time, and that I
don't need to assign a static IP address to each
of time.

Correct, you could do it either way but without any specific
reason to change the default auto/DHCP configuration you
might as well use it.

Here, I am assuming that the router has
firewall and DHCP functionality.
Thanks in advance for any info or advice.

Yes, though as I briefly mentioned above, if you have
specific advanced firewall (or other) needs then you would
have to investigate those feature sets more. For your
described uses just about any of them will do the job.
Old December 16th 04, 04:05 PM
John McGaw

[...]

Which modem? Which ISP? For example, if you were a BellSouth DSL
customer they would have provided you with a new Westell modem which has
quite an effective router built in. IIRC All of the current Westells
have the router function built in and some even have rudimentary
firewalls too although some ISPs may intentionally disable these
functions in modems provided to their customers. When I upgraded my
modem to a Westell I put my NetGear router back into the box and haven't
looked back since.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Old December 17th 04, 12:06 AM
DaveW

You need to buy a Linksys BEFSR41 4-Port Router, which is probably the most
sold router for home use in the world, and one of the most reliable. I have
installed many of them successfully.

--
DaveW

oups.com...

Old December 17th 04, 09:50 AM
John Smithe

A couple of router features you may wany to investigate a

1. NAT or Network Address Translation
2. Port Forwarding

A router should provide these two features.
Old December 17th 04, 02:33 PM
General Schvantzkoph

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 05:14:07 -0800, jaykchan wrote:

[...]

Any router will have a DHCP server, all you to do is hook up the router to
the DSL modem and to your switch, hook your PCs to the switch and enable
the DHCP server on the router (home routers all use a browser based
configuration tool, you point your brouser to 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1
depending on router brand and the rest will be self explanatory).

Old December 17th 04, 02:54 PM

Thanks everyone who has replied.

Now, all I need is a low cost few port router that has DHCP and "good
enough" firewall functionality (NAT, stateful packet inspection, port
forwarding), and I will be all set.

I don't recall seeing extra network port in my Westell DSL modem that
the ISP has provided. I believe it only has just enough ports for
connecting to the wall outlet and to one PC. I will double-check when
I get back home. If I find that it has extra network port, I will use
it for now until I find a good router that has firewall functionality.
Thanks again.

Jay Chan

Old December 20th 04, 01:57 PM

The typical Westell that is being supplied by ISPs has
both an ethernet and a USB port -- either of which can be
used for connecting but not both together.

Yes, mine is like that. It has one ethernet port and one USB port.

The ethernet port should have router functionality unless
the ISP has had it disabled on those modems Westell
manufactured for it. The settings needed for router
functions should be buried in the "expert mode"
"configuration" area. Once that is set up all that
should be needed is a hub or switch.

I was not aware that the ethernet port is a part of a built-in router.
I will look it up when I get home and try to locate the "expert mode"
to see if I can find DHCP functionality there. I will also check to see
if it can serve as a firewall.

Thanks for the tip.

Jay Chan