Hey Nvidia!

Old April 16th 04, 03:58 AM
teqguy

Irrat8ed wrote:

Dude, I have! Then he really gets rough with me. I mean, he's like
"Okay, I'll just dump this KY jelly down the drain if that's how you
want to play" and I'm like "Let's be rational about this" and then
he's like "I don't care how it goes but it's going" and I'm like
"I'll take the KY" and he's like "you know, I think I'd like it dry
today" and I'm like "please just a little" and he's like" I already
poured it out!" He just doesn't care...even though he says he does.
I feel so trapped.

"Irrat8ed" wrote in message
news
Can I have a least a ****in' month to enjoy my new video card
before you guys put out one that's twice as fast! Skunks! New
Nvidia 6800! And I read a thing in MaximumPC magazine about how
Doom 3 with need 2GB of RAM

run really nicely. I think spending around $3000 to play Doom 3 the

"right
way" is ****ed. So...I'll need a new $900 processor, a $250 mobo,
$500 video card, 2 gigs of RAM for about $600...maybe a nice 10,000
rpm hard drive and a god damn 1000 watt power supply to run all
this ****. Hey, optimize this **** to run on a 6 month old $1500
box you laying-in-bed-with-the-hardware-companies assholes.

After testing the devbuild, this is what I'm prescribing:

Minimum requirements for Doom III:

Processor: 1.4Ghz Intel Pentium III or AMD Athlon

RAM: 256MB (512mb if you're running XP)

Video Card: 64mb OpenGL 1.3

or 128mb DirectX 9.0

Hard drive space: 3GB

Additional notes:

If you choose to run the engine in OpenGL mode, you will not have such
features as bump mapping, dynamic lighting, or advanced pixel shading.

(This basically means the game will look like ****, but will run at
high fps.)

Recommended requirements:

Just empty your wallet and sign over the deed to your house when you
buy the game.

If you guys ran the alpha or beta builds of DIII, you will notice you
aren't running in DirectX9... but rather OpenGl.

Performance WILL significantly increase when you run the retail version
of the game with DirectX 9 and I'll explain why:

Don't let big, bad DirectX 9 fool you... sure it has advanced pixel
shading and all of these cinematic optimizations, but it's really
gentle and sympathetic.

If you've played FarCry, you've noticed there isn't a much of a
polygonal look... similar to the original Tomb Raider, etc, the list
goes on.

This is because of an optimization made in DX9 called Bump Mapping.

Look at a 3D globe.

To render such a model conventionally would require millions of
polygons, and thousands to extruding areas.

With polybump/bump mapping, polygons are replaced with points on a
linear plane.

These points are shaded to give the appearance of a 3d look... but are
actually one dimensional.

This cuts down on the amount of polygons (with textures, mind you)
rendered, while adds the ability to add realistic shading, dynamic
lighting, particle effects, and overall a realistic and cinematic look.

Fire up FarCry and look at the water... those aren't polygons you're
looking at.

Old April 16th 04, 09:33 AM
Nada

"Irrat8ed" wrote:
Can I have a least a ****in' month to enjoy my new video card before you
guys put out one that's twice as fast! Skunks! New Nvidia 6800! And I
read a thing in MaximumPC magazine about how Doom 3 with need 2GB of RAM to
run really nicely. I think spending around $3000 to play Doom 3 the "right
way" is ****ed. So...I'll need a new $900 processor, a $250 mobo, $500
video card, 2 gigs of RAM for about $600...maybe a nice 10,000 rpm hard
drive and a god damn 1000 watt power supply to run all this ****. Hey,
optimize this **** to run on a 6 month old $1500 box you
laying-in-bed-with-the-hardware-companies assholes.

I hear ya. I'm thinking of joining the crazy Japanese LN2 cult that
are hydrocarbonated in the moon playing the pirated Russian version of
Duke Nukem Forever. They have ****ing rocket scientists from Black
Mesa there controlling the LAN parties.
Old April 16th 04, 06:21 PM
duralisis

Irrat8ed wrote:

Can I have a least a ****in' month to enjoy my new video card before you
guys put out one that's twice as fast! Skunks! New Nvidia 6800! And I
read a thing in MaximumPC magazine about how Doom 3 with need 2GB of RAM to
run really nicely. I think spending around $3000 to play Doom 3 the "right
way" is ****ed. So...I'll need a new $900 processor, a $250 mobo, $500
video card, 2 gigs of RAM for about $600...maybe a nice 10,000 rpm hard
drive and a god damn 1000 watt power supply to run all this ****. Hey,
optimize this **** to run on a 6 month old $1500 box you
laying-in-bed-with-the-hardware-companies assholes.

You sound very tense!

Here's how NVidia does product releases. They have a cycle that they
try to adhere to. Every 1 year, there's a major new product release
(NV3x, NV4x). This is a fundemental architecture change.

Then 6 months after you get a card revision (NV35, NV45..., etc.). This
is a beefed up, and usually much more efficient and optimized chip.
Better RAM, etc.

In between you have minor releases, like the 5200 and 5600 following the
5800/U release did. And before that the GF4-TI4600 was later followed
by a TI4800/SE just as the FX's were about to come out.

You don't have to buy every new card. You get to choose where you want
to cut in line, stay there for a while (be happy, play games, get karma)
then later move up.

I've been sticking with a GF3 TI200 for going on 2+ years now! I'm
getting an interim 5600 today as a "small" upgrade (and cheap). But my
next major card will probably be the NV40's little brother, or whatever
comes after the 6800 (6600, TI-6200, whatever).

Come June or whever D3 decides to move it's ass, you shouldn't need to
upgrade anything much more than a video card. So long as your PSU is
good. A 6800 will only have 1 power connector and 12 pipes, but still
all the shadowing-tech pimp inside for Doom 3. So you don't need to
mortgage the house again...