Back to Nvidia- what drivers?

Old April 15th 04, 07:39 PM
Martin Francis

Default Back to Nvidia- what drivers?

Swapped my Hercules 9600SE (aiieee!) for a Gainward GF4 Ti4600 GS today-
more than doubled my 3dmark01 score in doing so- and now i'm wondering what
drivers to use. I can't figure out which driver version I have at the
moment, but it's the ones provided on the CD so I assume nothing recent.
Anyone any recommendations/anecdotes?

--
- Martin Francis

"Two hundred channels, and nothing but cats"
- Jasper

Old April 15th 04, 08:08 PM
John Lewis

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 18:39:39 +0000 (UTC), "Martin Francis"
m wrote:

Swapped my Hercules 9600SE (aiieee!) for a Gainward GF4 Ti4600 GS today-
more than doubled my 3dmark01 score in doing so- and now i'm wondering what
drivers to use. I can't figure out which driver version I have at the
moment, but it's the ones provided on the CD so I assume nothing recent.
Anyone any recommendations/anecdotes?

45.23 may still be the best for the GF4 series, but I advise
experimenting (with appropriate System Restore points).

56.72 is the latest driver release and has quite a few UI bells and
whistles. Seems pretty stable on my FX5900, but can't vouch for the
GF4.

John Lewis

Old April 15th 04, 08:40 PM
Mr. Brian Allen

45.23 may still be the best for the GF4 series, but I advise
experimenting (with appropriate System Restore points).

That's what I use on my 4800. Very stable and great framerates.

Old April 15th 04, 10:20 PM
Flow

If you wanna play new games like Conan and Farcry you need 45.23 minimum.
Everything older will give you corrupted images etc,well at least on my
system.
Compared to 41.09(the fastest for GF4 cards) you wont loose much fps or
3dmark2001se scores.
I found the 53.03 a bit blurry in games,and the 52.16 are not very stable,
beyond these drivers it's a wildcard but prolly will cost you a performance
decrease.
After you uninstall current drivers execute regedit and search for keyword
nvidia.
Delete those found to avoid problems after installing different drivers.
Also a util called nastyfileremover is handy to detect leftover nvidia files
on your comp
which could corrupt a different driver install.

"Mr. Brian Allen" schreef in bericht

Old April 16th 04, 12:17 AM
DaveW

With that 4600 card use the 45.23 driver for stability. The 5x.xx drivers
are too unstable with it.

--
DaveW

"Martin Francis" m wrote in
message ...

Old April 16th 04, 08:56 AM
HelixStalwart

45.23 for performance, or 56.72 for newest games

I have tried both on a 4600ti 128Mb and prefer the 45,23

See http://www.driverheaven.net/cleaner/ for a utility to clean out
old nVidia driver installs - works a treat and is free!
Old April 16th 04, 06:11 PM
duralisis

Martin Francis wrote:

Swapped my Hercules 9600SE (aiieee!) for a Gainward GF4 Ti4600 GS today-
more than doubled my 3dmark01 score in doing so- and now i'm wondering what
drivers to use. I can't figure out which driver version I have at the
moment, but it's the ones provided on the CD so I assume nothing recent.
Anyone any recommendations/anecdotes?

--
- Martin Francis

"Two hundred channels, and nothing but cats"
- Jasper

56.64/56.72 work just spiffy. Stable and great IQ.