installing RedHat 9 Linux on systems with nVidia cards

Old July 24th 03, 07:03 PM
Keith Clark

Default installing RedHat 9 Linux on systems with nVidia cards

I just upgraded my home system with a new mobo, CPU, RAM and video card
(went from P3 to P4 2.4C ).

The mobo is an Asus P4P800 Deluxe and the video card is an MSI
FX5600VTDR.

So because there were so many new components I backed up my home
directory to a CD-RW and elected to do a clean install.

BUT - the RedHat 9 installer doesn't detect the video card properly - it
loads a VESA driver which hoses both of my monitors so I have to install
in text mode.

OK, that's no biggie - the thing that ticks me off is you get to the end
of the install, I select the proper video card in the XFree86 setup
screen (there IS a setting for nVidia 5600 cards), select a text login
to be safe. When the system boots and I check XF86Config, instead of the
nVidia driver built in to XFree86, I see it's configured for the Vesa
driver. WTF? Of course I can edit the config file in 2 seconds to change
"VESA" to "nv".

But why doesn't the installer configure this properly? As many nVidia
cards as there are, I would have expected RedHat to have caught this.

I'm sure others have run into this, yes?

--Keith

Old July 26th 03, 04:14 AM
Sir Al

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 11:03:12 -0700
Keith Clark wrote:

BUT - the RedHat 9 installer doesn't detect the video card properly - it
loads a VESA driver which hoses both of my monitors so I have to install
in text mode.

But why doesn't the installer configure this properly? As many nVidia
cards as there are, I would have expected RedHat to have caught this.

I'm sure others have run into this, yes?

Yes, many OS's don't detect nvidia card properly. However, my Geforce4 got detected properly with Red Hat 9, so I can't say.