Weird problem on Radeon 8500

Old August 20th 03, 03:21 AM
Gordon E. Parmelee III

Default Weird problem on Radeon 8500

Hi all,
Was hoping someone might be able to tell me what my video cards problem
is. I have the original Radeon 8500. Sent it in a few weeks ago for repairs
and since getting it back, it will on occassion go nuts. Screen will go
from the normal display to colored lines - both vertical and horizontal and
the mouse pointer becomes a large, off colored box in a contrasting color.
I am experiencing this problem in both Windows XP and also Windows ME. I
have attempted to reinstall drivers, reinstall both os'es fresh and still
the same problem. Happens randomly and a various times, sometimes just as
windows opens, other times just after a reboot when BIOS info should be
showing. Any help or ideas would be GREATLY appreciated.

--
Gordon E. Parmelee III
ICQ # 7586386

Old August 20th 03, 03:39 AM
Barry Watzman

It really sounds like they replaced a bad card with a bad, or even a
badder, card. You need to send it back again.

I'm having problems with my own 8500 (the one I'm using right now) and
have applied for an RMA. This will be the 3rd AIW that I've had to
return (although I've owned over a dozen of them). However, the
previous two were replaced with perfectly good cards, and the turnaround
time was very fast (less than 10 days round trip).

Old August 20th 03, 05:18 PM
Frank

"Gordon E. Parmelee III" wrote in
message k.net...

| Hi all,
| Was hoping someone might be able to tell me what my video cards
problem
| is. I have the original Radeon 8500. Sent it in a few weeks ago for
repairs
| and since getting it back, it will on occassion go nuts. Screen will
go
| from the normal display to colored lines - both vertical and
horizontal and
| the mouse pointer becomes a large, off colored box in a contrasting
color.
| I am experiencing this problem in both Windows XP and also Windows ME.
| have attempted to reinstall drivers, reinstall both os'es fresh and
still
| the same problem. Happens randomly and a various times, sometimes
just as
| windows opens, other times just after a reboot when BIOS info should
be
| showing. Any help or ideas would be GREATLY appreciated.

If you can, try the card in a different PC. I had the same problems
which turned out to be a bad mainboard.

--
Tampa Bay

Old August 21st 03, 04:58 AM
Vance McNeil

You didn't mention what resolution you are running it in.
I run on 1152x864 on a 19"
It looked much sweeter at (a) higher resolution(s) but it kept crapping out
and causing visual weirdness.

So you might try it on a lower resolution and see if it keeps acting up.
Especially if your memory/processor are not ample enough in power/size.

Old August 23rd 03, 08:00 PM
Gordon E. Parmelee III

I've run it at anything from 800x600 on up to 1280x1024 on a 17" Monitor.
Also retried in my main system...same thing happens. The system it currently
resides in is an Epox 8KTA3+ with an AMD 1400 cpu and 512 mb ram. Main
system is an ASUS A7N8X dlx with an amd 2500+ 'barton' core and 1gb of OCZ
Gold PC3200 dual channel, and 19" Sony monitor.
While the vid card was in rma, I still had one system up and runnin so it
didn't affect much other than my son was unable to game since I don't want
alot of 'crap' on my primary system (used mainly for work). Just recently
went out and got a Geforce 5200 Ultra for his sytem (price made it
worthwhile).