NF7-S V2.0 hang problem in windows XP

Old October 26th 03, 01:50 AM
Bp_968

Default NF7-S V2.0 hang problem in windows XP

After about 2-3 hours of sitting idle, when I return to my system and
attempt to load something new it will "hang" for 1-2 minutes before it
loads the program (IE, explorer, outlook, etc). It will continue to
do this until I reboot the system. It also becomes unstable, so even
if you were patient enough for the 1-2 min hangs you often are forced
to hard boot it anyway. I've run this exact set of components on my
older gigabyte board and a newer gigabyte board with no problems.
I've flashed the Abit to the latest BIOS, updated my drivers, and
formated and reinstalled XP twice. All with no effect. I have also
tried different RAM chips in the off chance it didn't like my RAM.

any suggestions other than RMA?

Ben

Old October 26th 03, 02:02 PM
Skid

Try turning off the power-saving options in display
properties/screensaver/power. Turn off hard disks: Never. System standby:
Never. Uncheck enable hibernation. Check the bios to see if you have any
similar options enabled there.

If none of that helps, it may be a memory leak from a screensaver or an app
running in the background. Try turning them all off. If that eliminates the
problem you can try them one at a time to see which one is the culprit.

om...

Old October 26th 03, 02:19 PM
dr_hardware

"Bp_968" wrote in message
om...
After about 2-3 hours of sitting idle, when I return to my system and
attempt to load something new it will "hang" for 1-2 minutes before it
loads the program (IE, explorer, outlook, etc). It will continue to
do this until I reboot the system. It also becomes unstable, so even
if you were patient enough for the 1-2 min hangs you often are forced
to hard boot it anyway. I've run this exact set of components on my
older gigabyte board and a newer gigabyte board with no problems.
I've flashed the Abit to the latest BIOS, updated my drivers, and
formated and reinstalled XP twice. All with no effect. I have also
tried different RAM chips in the off chance it didn't like my RAM.

any suggestions other than RMA?

Ben

What size PSU do you have? Is the 4 pin +12v P4 connector plugged in to the
MB? It doesn't sound like a MB problem, per se.