2 beeps on startup and no HDD LED - P4 Asus p4c800 - E delux

Old December 24th 03, 03:48 AM
Gkenney

Default 2 beeps on startup and no HDD LED - P4 Asus p4c800 - E delux

Hi all,

I just finished building a new rig based on a P4 3.2g and Asus P4C800 -E
deluxe MB with 1g of memory (Kingston Hyper X).

I've been working with the configuration for the last day or so and I
finally decided to put my old Herc Game Theater sound card in (I was using
the onboard audio).

Now during the post I get two quick beeps (I seem to remember only getting
one before). In the manual 2 beeps is a Parity Error. Not sure what that
is? Where would I go to look for a problem?

Also can seem to get the HDD led to work on the front panel. I've slipped
the thing on and off a couple of times and the light still doesn't work. I'm
pretty sure I've got it on the right connector.

Any thoughts or help on these two issues?

Old December 24th 03, 02:21 PM
Ralph Mowery

I just finished building a new rig based on a P4 3.2g and Asus P4C800 -E
deluxe MB with 1g of memory (Kingston Hyper X).

I've been working with the configuration for the last day or so and I
finally decided to put my old Herc Game Theater sound card in (I was using
the onboard audio).

Now during the post I get two quick beeps (I seem to remember only getting
one before). In the manual 2 beeps is a Parity Error. Not sure what that
is? Where would I go to look for a problem?

Also can seem to get the HDD led to work on the front panel. I've slipped
the thing on and off a couple of times and the light still doesn't work.

I'm
pretty sure I've got it on the right connector.

Check the BIOS to see if you have the Parity off. It has to do with the
memory type.

If you have not tried it, turn the plug for the light for the hard drive
around. It is a LED and they only work when powered one way. It does not
harm them if they are reversed, but they will not light up.

Old December 24th 03, 02:27 PM
GKenney

I got some advice over in the Asus group. I looks like this MB will beep
softly once at POST for every USB device you have attached. Which makes
sense now. It was only beeping once, then I added my Herc Gaming Theater rig
(which is also a USB hub). Right after that is when the problem occurred. It
is also documented in the Asus FAQ.

I did check my bios though as you suggested and it looks like everything is
set right.

Old December 24th 03, 07:49 PM
GKenney

Also, I turned the plug around and works fine. I was so intent on getting it
on the right two male ends that I did not notice that I put it on backwards!

Thanks again,

Glenn

[...]

Windows xp sometimes hangs on startup Shiva General 3 February 11th 05 07:50 PM
Freeze on startup Von Heler General 1 June 1st 04 12:53 AM
Black screen at startup - and NOTHING happens Ann Petersen Overclocking AMD Processors 6 December 15th 03 06:12 PM
Long (2 min. beep) during normal startup (GA-8IGX) UsualNoise General 1 August 6th 03 11:50 PM