Since powersupply burnt out motherboard, what to do with components?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 9th 03, 08:35 PM
S.Heenan

Default Since powersupply burnt out motherboard, what to do with components?

Krow wrote:
Hi All

Since my last post about hoovering vs. powersupply; where for some
reason my computer power supply took a 'power surge' or some sort
(while off) and caused a burning smell, and popping sound *later
testing resulted in smoke*; I took the computer to the shop, and the
guy there said that the entire thing was a write-off.

He said that the motherboard had been fried/burnt. However, what I do
want to know is, how did he tell? I have looked at the motherboard
closely, and have not seen any signs of 'damage' (then again, I'm just
looking by eye) Also, would it have affected the Memory, the PCI
Modem, the CPU (AMD-K6II 450) and the CD-Rom drive, floppy drive? How
would I test them?

Would I be able to install them on to a new motherboard in the same
case (with new power supply) if they were unaffected?

Many thanks in advance for any help or advice

If this is the same shop which quoted you £100-200 for a new power supply,
I'd purchase a £50 Enermax or Sparkle and install it myself. It's quite
unlikely all of your hardware has been damaged. Even if your motherboard is
kaput, it shouldn't hurt a decent power supply.
--
Winerr 012 - Cash Underflow - Credit Card Number Will Be Assimilated