Displaying the Screen Upside-Down

Old May 4th 04, 07:55 PM
Richard Alexander

Default Displaying the Screen Upside-Down

A co-worker accidentally ran across this effect, and I found generally
how and why it happened on the Web (thanks, Google). Certain video
chipsets can be set to display the entire screen upside-down when
certain keystrokes are entered on the keyboard. The purpose appears to
be to correct an issue in which changing the resolution of the screen
causes the screen to invert. The keystrokes are either "CNTRL and ALT
(turn off Num Lock) ANY ROW OF NUMBERS ON THE NUMBER PAD (123, 456 or
789)," or "CNTL-PGUP" or "CNTL-PGDN" or "CNTL-UPARROW" or
"CNTL-DOWNARROW." There is also supposed to be a way to set the screen
sideways, though I haven't seen it.

So far, I've only found one model of computer for which this works.
Dell has a sub-compact, black desktop computer that features a
removeable CD and floppy drive. It also apparently uses the affected
chipset. For the record, my FIC AU13 is not affected.
Old May 4th 04, 08:29 PM
John Donson

om...
:
: So far, I've only found one model of computer for which this works.
: Dell has a sub-compact, black desktop computer that features a
: removeable CD and floppy drive. It also apparently uses the affected
: chipset. For the record, my FIC AU13 is not affected.

LOL. Thanks. This knowledge might lead to having some fun at work. ;-)

(Doesn't work on my pc, though. Tried all the combinations)

Old May 5th 04, 04:19 AM
Richard Alexander

"John Donson" wrote in message ...

[snip]

LOL. Thanks. This knowledge might lead to having some fun at work. ;-)

That's what my co-worker said.

(Doesn't work on my pc, though. Tried all the combinations)

So far, I've only found it to work on Dells. It should work on any
computer using the Intel 82845G chipset.
Old July 12th 04, 03:31 PM

Glad to have found this post! I just fixed this problem for someone
experiencing an upside-down screen after accidentally pressing unknown
keys on the keyboard. Such a crazy issue! The computer was a PDS
Infinity BR2 with the Intel 82845G chipset. With num-lock off, holding
Ctrl-Alt-1-2-3 caused the screen to be upside-down, Ctrl-Alt-4-5-6
caused the screen to go sideways, and Ctrl-Alt-7-8-9 caused the screen
to be normal.