4850 really heats up my PC case...

Old July 26th 08, 11:37 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)

Default 4850 really heats up my PC case...

Could a better heatsink really help????

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04) Linux 2.6.26
Old July 26th 08, 11:42 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)

Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) wrote:

Could a better heatsink really help????

Outside temperature is about 32 degree Celsius...

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04) Linux 2.6.26
^ ^ 18:40:01 up 2:49 0 users load average: 1.00 1.02 1.17
? ? (CSSA):
Old July 26th 08, 12:31 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Clas Mehus

On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 18:42:42 +0800, "Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)"
wrote:

Could a better heatsink really help????

Outside temperature is about 32 degree Celsius...

PC's get hot, and it might not be a problem at all. What are the
temperatures in your pc? Normaly, if everything is stable, you don't
need to put much attention to it. What you can check a bit closer, are
the temperatures on your HDD('s). HDD-temperature can be read through
SMART with software such as HDD Health, HDD Monitor, SpeedFan and lot
of others. You need to enable SMART in BIOS.

And yes, videoboards today get really hot, and this is basicly a part
of the design....

--
Clas Mehus
- "Den som har flest prylar när han dör vinner..."
Old July 26th 08, 02:06 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)

PC's get hot, and it might not be a problem at all. What are the
temperatures in your pc? Normaly, if everything is stable, you don't
need to put much attention to it.

Well, the system runs fine. But compared to 8088 PCs...
What you can check a bit closer, are the temperatures on your HDD('s).
And yes, videoboards today get really hot, and this is basicly a part

The two are indeed conducting all heat to the metal case...

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04.1) Linux 2.6.26
Old July 26th 08, 05:53 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
James McTavish

"Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)" wrote in
:

Could a better heatsink really help????

Coulde if it vents the heat outside of the case like the HSF on the 4870.
They put a crap HSF on the 4850 which is odd considering the 3870 comes
with a nice HSF that vents heat outside of the case. The below HSF will fit
the 4850 and will really cool the 4850 down but it still doesn't vent heat
outside of the case.

Old July 26th 08, 11:05 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
bandit

wrote:

Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) wrote:

Could a better heatsink really help????

Outside temperature is about 32 degree Celsius...

Did you do the manual fan settings ?

Cause it should help with heat after you bring the temp. down on
video card it will be putting out less heat in the case

And I had to do it again after I updated my drivers on my 4870

here's how if you haven't already done it

AMD's Radeon HD 4000 series graphics cards are impressive on most
fronts, but, they're a touch hotter than most users would like -
particularly the single-slot Radeon HD 4850.

The heat-factor isn't helped by AMD's lacklustre automatic fan
control. Up until now, users have been unable to manually control the
speed of their fans.

That, however, is no longer the case as a forum user going by the name
of bretware over at Guru3D has provided a useful workaround that'll
let users manually control their card's fan speed, and consequently
lower temperatures.

According to bretware, a user needs to follow these simple steps:

1. In Catalyst Control Centre, make sure clock and memory settings are
correct and turn on Overdrive
2. Create a Catalyst Control Centre profile called "fanspeed"
3. Navigate to C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE\ and you'll
find an XML file titled "fanspeed", open the file in Notepad or your
preferred editor. The file should resemble the following:
4. If Using XP its in folder C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Local
Settings\Application Data\ATI\ACE

Feature name="FanSpeedAlgorithm_0"
Property name="FanSpeedAlgorithm" value="Manual" /
/Feature
Feature name="FanSpeedRPMTarget_0"
Property name="Want" value="0" /
/Feature
Feature name="FanSpeedPercentTarget_0"
Property name="Want" value="65" /

4. As shown above, change the "FanSpeedAlgorithm" value to Manual and
the "FanSpeedPercentTarget" value to 65 (or your preferred fan speed
in percentage)
5. Save the file and reload the "fanspeed" profile in Catalyst Control
Centre.

If you're unable to locate the XML file, you may be required to set
your operating system to show hidden/system files.

Bretware adds that "you may have to select the profile everytime you
start the computer, but it will work until there is a fix or better
info so i can figure how to change the auto target temp".

Old July 27th 08, 05:37 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)

4. If Using XP its in folder C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Local
Settings\Application Data\ATI\ACE

Feature name="FanSpeedAlgorithm_0"
Property name="FanSpeedAlgorithm" value="Manual" /
/Feature
Feature name="FanSpeedRPMTarget_0"
Property name="Want" value="0" /
/Feature
Feature name="FanSpeedPercentTarget_0"
Property name="Want" value="65" /

I have set it to "100".

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04.1) Linux 2.6.26
^ ^ 12:34:01 up 20:43 2 users load average: 1.01 1.07 1.48
? ? (CSSA):
Old July 27th 08, 05:38 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)

Couldn't quite find it in Hong Kong's Golden Computer Center... maybe I
look harder next time...

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04.1) Linux 2.6.26
^ ^ 12:35:01 up 20:44 2 users load average: 1.00 1.06 1.44
? ? (CSSA):
Old July 27th 08, 05:48 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)

Is there a one-slot solution?

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04.1) Linux 2.6.26
^ ^ 12:46:01 up 20:55 2 users load average: 1.06 1.03 1.22
? ? (CSSA):
Old July 27th 08, 10:20 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
James McTavish

"Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)" wrote in
:

I have set it to "100".

100 would sound like a vacuum cleaner. 40 - 45% is all you need to drop the
temps about 20c.

Asus 4850 KCB Ati Videocards 7 July 22nd 08 12:06 AM
Driver for 4850 Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) Ati Videocards 5 July 2nd 08 09:02 AM
HD 4850 going on sale William Ati Videocards 0 May 30th 08 09:57 PM
Hp 4850 jimwest Scanners 1 September 21st 06 10:44 PM
Why game menu heats GPU more than game play? Lou Ati Videocards 1 June 9th 04 06:05 PM