8.7 drivers out

Old July 22nd 08, 12:32 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
bandit

Default 8.7 drivers out

http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html

8.7 Catalyst for 4850/70 are here!!!
Old July 22nd 08, 08:14 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Carl

Thank you!
Old July 22nd 08, 10:56 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)

Carl wrote:
Thank you!

x2

BUT, should we stick with the hotfix driver for the mean time? You
know.... just in case ....

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04) Linux 2.6.26
Old July 22nd 08, 11:13 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Richie Rich

bandit wrote in
:

http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html

8.7 Catalyst for 4850/70 are here!!!

I'm using 8.7 beta driver for a while now. Thing is when I tried to go back
to those 8.6 hotfix drivers they would'nt install correctly due to
something that beta driver did. Hope these official 8.7 drivers install ok.
Old July 22nd 08, 06:05 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
William

"Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)" wrote in message
Carl wrote:
Thank you!

x2

BUT, should we stick with the hotfix driver for the mean time? You
know.... just in case ....

That is what I was wondering. Is this a good update to the HD4870? I see
nothing in the release that improves the performance of the 4870, addresses
the high-heat settings, or helps any of the games I play.

I would like to know what other people are experiencing before I install it.

William

Old July 22nd 08, 11:49 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
First of One[_2_]

The "high-heat settings" will never be "addressed" by ATi. Because the fan
speed schedule is temperature-based, you can be sure the card is running at
the temperature that the ATi engineers intended. If in your opinion, the
default operating temperature is too high, force a faster fan speed. Don't
expect ATi to ever change it.

acquisition...

Old July 23rd 08, 05:06 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)

That is what I was wondering. Is this a good update to the HD4870? I see
nothing in the release that improves the performance of the 4870, addresses
the high-heat settings, or helps any of the games I play.

Set the fan to always work at 100% speed.

I would like to know what other people are experiencing before I install it.

I finally installed 8.7. So far, it's ok.

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04) Linux 2.6.26
^ ^ 12:04:01 up 1:43 0 users load average: 1.02 1.07 1.02
? ? (CSSA):
Old July 23rd 08, 06:17 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
William

"First of One" wrote in message
The "high-heat settings" will never be "addressed" by ATi. Because the fan
speed schedule is temperature-based, you can be sure the card is running
at the temperature that the ATi engineers intended. If in your opinion,
the default operating temperature is too high, force a faster fan speed.
Don't expect ATi to ever change it.

I set it to 33% and the temperature runs around 58 c. It's just noticeable
in my super-quiet Antec Sonata case.

While I was looking around in the ACE user directory for the fanspeed fix, I
took a look inside of Profiles.xml and noticed settings for "Full Screen3D",
such as gamma, brightness, and contrast on all three colors. CCC doesn't
break out the colors for 3D. I've been fighting a red hew in the blacks in
Crysis and was looking for a red gamma setting. I set it to .9 and it looks
good so far. Unfortunately the change gets overwritten if I do anything in
CCC.

William

Old July 23rd 08, 06:51 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
First of One[_2_]

You are just running a single card, right? I would recommend you ditch CCC
altogether and use ATi Tray Tools (ATT) to control all functions. The only
thing ATT lacks is robust Crossfire support.

acquisition...

Old July 23rd 08, 01:49 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)

First of One wrote:
You are just running a single card, right? I would recommend you ditch CCC
altogether and use ATi Tray Tools (ATT) to control all functions. The only
thing ATT lacks is robust Crossfire support.

does this ATT work in 64-bit Vi$ta?

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04) Linux 2.6.26
^ ^ 20:47:01 up 10:26 0 users load average: 1.00 1.02 1.00
? ? (CSSA):