Asus 4850

Old July 17th 08, 02:02 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
KCB

Default Asus 4850

This card works very well with FEAR and COD4, but when I try any Source
games it will run for 10-20 seconds then go blank screen. I've tried
the 8.5, 8.6, 8.6 hotfix, and 8.7 beta drivers. All of them do the same
thing. The monitor shows no signal and I have to shutdown then restart
the computer. I've not run into any other problems, other than the
Source games. Anybody else run into this?
My system:
WinXP SP3
MSI socket 939 motherboard
Athlon 64 X2 4200+
1 GB (2x512) Corsair XMS PC3200
Antec EA 650 PSU

Old July 17th 08, 02:53 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)

This card works very well with FEAR and COD4, but when I try any Source
games it will run for 10-20 seconds then go blank screen. I've tried
the 8.5, 8.6, 8.6 hotfix, and 8.7 beta drivers. All of them do the same

Use the hotfix driver:
http://support.ati.com/ics/support/d...tionID=3 5298

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04) Linux 2.6.26
Old July 17th 08, 09:52 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Richie Rich

"KCB" wrote in
:

This card works very well with FEAR and COD4, but when I try any Source
games it will run for 10-20 seconds then go blank screen. I've tried
the 8.5, 8.6, 8.6 hotfix, and 8.7 beta drivers. All of them do the same
thing. The monitor shows no signal and I have to shutdown then restart
the computer. I've not run into any other problems, other than the
Source games. Anybody else run into this?
My system:
WinXP SP3
MSI socket 939 motherboard
Athlon 64 X2 4200+
1 GB (2x512) Corsair XMS PC3200
Antec EA 650 PSU

What's your monitor? Sounds like it might be a vsync issue and the game is
trying to use a frequency that your monitor can't do. I use 8.7b driver on
Vista64 and the Source games run perfect for me. Try uninstalling the
Source games and do a fresh install.
Old July 18th 08, 03:14 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
KCB

"Richie Rich" wrote in message
"KCB" wrote in
:

[...]

That's what I thought, so I unchecked the EDID and set max refresh to 75
in the CCC. I also used the launch options in CS:S to set 1280x96x75.
That didn't help either. I did a complete wipe and re-install of Steam
and all games, and that didn't help. This morning I started researching
some of the BIOS settings for the motherboard. When I set the PCIE
Reset Delay to [Enabled], I was able to play for about 10 minutes
(thought I had it), but then it bombed out again. I'm going to do a
complete driver uninstall again, chipset and all, and reinstall again.
I'll post back my results tomorrow. I really thought about a new
motherboard, but good socket 939 motherboards are hard to find.

Old July 20th 08, 02:31 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
KCB

"KCB" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

There are 3 different motherboard drivers, and the original seems to be
the most stable with the 4850, along with the ATI hotfix drivers.

I noticed ASUS had finally put drivers on there site based on the Cat
8.5s. Maybe I'll try them next.

Yesterday, playing CS:S lasted about 10 minutes. I played COD4 for
about an hour without any problems, and finished 2 levels in FEAR
without a hitch. After that, I played HL2M, and got through about 4
maps before it locked up.

Can you hear your fan? Mine rarely comes on, spins up for a few moments
then shuts off again. I'm starting to wonder if it's heat issue,
although the temps reported don't seem out of line.

Old July 20th 08, 06:38 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
?Utf-8?B?aG9uZXlzYnVubnk=?=

"KCB" wrote in
:

Can you hear your fan? Mine rarely comes on, spins up for a few moments
then shuts off again.

When the PC first comes on you will hear the fan ramp up and then it
settles down. Once Windows loads it uses what it is set to in an .xml file.
They have set the fans to a low speed 28% to keep them quiet. There is a
way to make them run at your own speed setting. Look it up on google. I
have mine at 45%. It's strange though that COD4 plays fine and HL2 games
don't so I don't think it is a heat issue.
Old July 20th 08, 11:12 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
bandit

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 17:38:02 GMT, "?Utf-8?B?aG9uZXlzYnVubnk=?="
wrote:

"KCB" wrote in
:

Can you hear your fan? Mine rarely comes on, spins up for a few moments
then shuts off again.

When the PC first comes on you will hear the fan ramp up and then it
settles down. Once Windows loads it uses what it is set to in an .xml file.
They have set the fans to a low speed 28% to keep them quiet. There is a
way to make them run at your own speed setting. Look it up on google. I
have mine at 45%. It's strange though that COD4 plays fine and HL2 games
don't so I don't think it is a heat issue.

AMD's Radeon HD 4000 series graphics cards are impressive on most
fronts, but, they're a touch hotter than most users would like -
particularly the single-slot Radeon HD 4850.

The heat-factor isn't helped by AMD's lacklustre automatic fan
control. Up until now, users have been unable to manually control the
speed of their fans.

That, however, is no longer the case as a forum user going by the name
of bretware over at Guru3D has provided a useful workaround that'll
let users manually control their card's fan speed, and consequently
lower temperatures.

According to bretware, a user needs to follow these simple steps:

1. In Catalyst Control Centre, make sure clock and memory settings are
correct and turn on Overdrive
2. Create a Catalyst Control Centre profile called "fanspeed"
3. Navigate to C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE\ and you'll
find an XML file titled "fanspeed", open the file in Notepad or your
preferred editor. The file should resemble the following:

Feature name="FanSpeedAlgorithm_0"
Property name="FanSpeedAlgorithm" value="Manual" / change to this
if it dont work Automatic
/Feature
Feature name="FanSpeedRPMTarget_0"
Property name="Want" value="0" /
/Feature
Feature name="FanSpeedPercentTarget_0"
Property name="Want" value="65" /

4. As shown above, change the "FanSpeedAlgorithm" value to Manual and
the "FanSpeedPercentTarget" value to 65 (or your preferred fan speed
in percentage)
5. Save the file and reload the "fanspeed" profile in Catalyst Control
Centre.

If you're unable to locate the XML file, you may be required to set
your operating system to show hidden/system files.

Bretware adds that "you may have to select the profile everytime you
start the computer, but it will work until there is a fix or better
info so i can figure how to change the auto target temp".

Old July 22nd 08, 12:06 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Mark[_13_]

"bandit" wrote in message
Up until now, users have been unable to manually control the
speed of their fans.

??? SmartDoctor that comes with the Asus 4850 has manual fan control
(as well as configurable automatic settings)
http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...artdoctor+4850

Heatsink for 4850 Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) Ati Videocards 10 July 3rd 08 10:39 PM
Driver for 4850 Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) Ati Videocards 5 July 2nd 08 09:02 AM
HD 4850 going on sale William Ati Videocards 0 May 30th 08 09:57 PM
Hp 4850 jimwest Scanners 1 September 21st 06 10:44 PM
WorldMark 4850 ... [email protected] Intel 3 April 19th 06 11:54 AM