Help!!! Need a MB "bracket" for my Asus M2NPV-VM-AM2 board.

Old May 14th 08, 10:01 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
TM

Default Help!!! Need a MB "bracket" for my Asus M2NPV-VM-AM2 board.

In the M2NPV-VM Manual, it's called a "retention module base."

It's the square-ish plastic bracket thing that attaches to the motherboard
(around the CPU) with four screws. It's what I attach the heatsink and fan
to.

After almost two years of service, my CPU temps on this board went crazy
last night. I shut down right away, but when I tried to reboot this
a.m........NADA.

It turns out that one of the plastic "ears" of the aforementioned bracket
broke, and the HSF was just sorta dangling inside my case. So, at a minimum,
I guess I burned up my CPU. But I need this &%#@*!# bracket first before
replacing that.

If anyone knows a good online source for replacing it, or even telling me
what this thing is commonly called, I would really appreciate the help. (The
local Frys Electronics was a no go.)

Thanks again, all!

Old May 14th 08, 10:43 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

TM wrote:
[...]

Maybe something like this ? It isn't exactly the same, but it is supposed
to work with a stock cooler. You may find more sources by looking for
"AM2 retention" as keywords.

Thermalright AM2 RM Retention Bracket (Rev. B)
http://www.heatsinkfactory.com/therm...b-p-16446.html

Paul

Old May 14th 08, 10:50 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
TM

"Paul" wrote in message
TM wrote:
[...]

Perfect! And quick, too! Thanks a lot, Paul!

Old May 14th 08, 11:42 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
bandit

On Wed, 14 May 2008 14:01:45 -0700, "TM" wrote:

[...]

Have a look at this

or if you just want a after market cooler

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ame=Socket+AM2
Old May 17th 08, 11:51 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
TM

"bandit" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks. But the part is out of stock at newegg. And I have a small A/V-type
slimline case, so aftermarket coolers are out.

Old May 17th 08, 11:56 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
TM

"Paul" wrote in message
TM wrote:
[...]

Well....I got my retention bracket today from heatsinkfactory.com, but it's
NOT the one pictured in the above link, and won't work.

If anybody cares about any of this, Abit (of all sources!) carries the part.

http://www.uabit.com/WebStore/index....68fq7qprg6 77

Old May 18th 08, 06:41 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Alfred Kaufmann

Go to the Asus forum for your motherboard and there are probably a few
users there that have upgraded to a heatsink that requires this
retention mechanism to be removed. If you are lucky some one may
offer to send you the one they took out. I sent mine to some guy in
England. :-)

Al

On Sat, 17 May 2008 15:51:57 -0700, "TM" wrote:

.. .

Old May 18th 08, 06:56 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
TM

Wow...great idea. I wish I'd thought of it before I ordered from Abit. I may
try this anyway...for a spare.

"Alfred Kaufmann" wrote in message
news
Go to the Asus forum for your motherboard and there are probably a few
users there that have upgraded to a heatsink that requires this
retention mechanism to be removed. If you are lucky some one may
offer to send you the one they took out. I sent mine to some guy in
England. :-)

Al

On Sat, 17 May 2008 15:51:57 -0700, "TM" wrote:

. ..

Old May 18th 08, 07:24 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
TM

The Abit part actually looks like a stock AM2 bracket, manufactured by
"AMCO," same as the Asus. AND, as I'm writing this, I get an email from
heatsinkfactory.com, explaining that they mistakenly sent a "Rev. C" bracket
instead of the correct "Rev. B" one (which they're shipping here tomorrow).

So it looks like I'll be swimming in these things.....

"Alfred Kaufmann" wrote in message
Good luck getting the Abit part to fit the Asus motheboard. :-(
Al

On Sun, 18 May 2008 10:56:38 -0700, "TM" wrote:

Wow...great idea. I wish I'd thought of it before I ordered from Abit. I
may
try this anyway...for a spare.

"Alfred Kaufmann" wrote in message
news
Go to the Asus forum for your motherboard and there are probably a few
users there that have upgraded to a heatsink that requires this
retention mechanism to be removed. If you are lucky some one may
offer to send you the one they took out. I sent mine to some guy in
England. :-)

Al

On Sat, 17 May 2008 15:51:57 -0700, "TM" wrote:

m...