will this ram work with this mobo/cpu? psu question

Old October 4th 07, 11:30 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Joel

Default will this ram work with this mobo/cpu? psu question

The ram specs on the mobo I am fixing to buy just says "DDR2" so I really
don't know what one I should buy. Here is my list of what I am fixing to
buy.

RAM (guess it takes ddr2 pc2-5300--i dont know for sure) $68

http://computers.pricegrabber.com/la...13/search=DDR2

CPU $194

http://computers.pricegrabber.com/pr...Core%202%20Duo

MOBO $100

http://computers.pricegrabber.com/mo...ds/m/24358005/

Also, will this psu support at least 3 ide devices? All I see about it is
sata, which I surely need.

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...tCode=10006757

Old October 4th 07, 01:03 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
GT[_3_]

"Joel" wrote in message
.. .
The ram specs on the mobo I am fixing to buy just says "DDR2" so I really
don't know what one I should buy. Here is my list of what I am fixing to
buy.

RAM (guess it takes ddr2 pc2-5300--i dont know for sure) $68

http://computers.pricegrabber.com/la...13/search=DDR2

CPU $194

http://computers.pricegrabber.com/pr...Core%202%20Duo

MOBO $100

http://computers.pricegrabber.com/mo...ds/m/24358005/

Follow the manufacturer details link on the mobo link you posted and:

4 x DIMM, max. 16GB, DDR2 667 / 533, non-ECC, un-buffered memory
Dual channel memory architecture.

I would suggest you go for some 667 speed stuff instead of the 533 you have
chosen, but the RAM you have listed is OK for that board. You have 4 slots
available, so filling 2 of them as you have planned is OK, but your maximum
RAM configuration without throwing any away would be 10GB. How long are you
planning to run this PC? Highly unlikely that this limit would be a problem!

Old October 4th 07, 01:15 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

Joel wrote:
The ram specs on the mobo I am fixing to buy just says "DDR2" so I really
don't know what one I should buy. Here is my list of what I am fixing to
buy.

RAM (guess it takes ddr2 pc2-5300--i dont know for sure) $68

http://computers.pricegrabber.com/la...13/search=DDR2

CPU $194

http://computers.pricegrabber.com/pr...Core%202%20Duo

MOBO $100

http://computers.pricegrabber.com/mo...ds/m/24358005/

Also, will this psu support at least 3 ide devices? All I see about it is
sata, which I surely need.

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...tCode=10006757

For Asus motherboards, you can actually download the manual and have a look.
Check the section on memory, and see if there are any hints. Some of the
manuals are better than others, at answering pre-sales questions.

http://support.asus.com/download/dow...Language=en-us

When you go to an individual product page, there can be a "QVL" or qualified
vendor list of memories. The first link here, is a list of all the motherboards,
while the second link is for P5NSLI. Clicking the QVL link on the second
page, shows qualified RAM at DDR2-533 and DDR2-667. The 667 == PC2-5300.

http://www.asus.com/products2.aspx?l1=3&l2=-1
http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1...&mo delmenu=1

Your CPU is FSB1333. Your motherboard goes up to FSB1066. So in fact, your
choice of CPU and motherboard don't mesh properly. Find another motherboard
or find another CPU.

The CPU Support page is here. You can actually view results by a specific
processor, such as your E6750, and see what motherboards support it.

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/c...Language=en-us

The page for P5N-SLI is here. If you could find an older E6700, that
would work, but it might be more expensive. If you still want the E6750,
then look for another board.

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/c...Language=en-us

These are the power supply specs for CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX ATX12V V2.2 550W
That supply will not only run your three IDE drives, it will also
start your car in the morning :-) I much prefer to get this info off a label
on the side of the supply, but so far I don't see that kind of label on
this unit.

,+5VSB@3A
http://www.jonnyguru.com/PSU/VX550W/Dscn3257.jpg

There is enough 12V current there, for an 8800GTX if you want. The
supply has a 2x3 PCI Express power and a 2x4 (splittable) PCI Express power,
so in fact the supply even has the connectors to connect to an 8800GTX.

A review for the power supply is here. It is built by ChannelWell (CWT), and
they make supplies for Antec as well. That means, when you get it, it'll
smell a bit (chemical smell).

http://www.jonnyguru.com/review_details.php?id=135

Paul
Old October 5th 07, 03:42 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Joel

Thanks alot guys. But what's it gonna hurt running a fsb slower than the
cpu? How's it gonna hurt the cpu? The cpu just slows down without any
damage-inducing results, right?

Old October 5th 07, 04:37 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

Joel wrote:
Thanks alot guys. But what's it gonna hurt running a fsb slower than the
cpu? How's it gonna hurt the cpu? The cpu just slows down without any
damage-inducing results, right?

Correct.

For an E6750 2.66GHz/FSB1333/4MB L2 dual core, the math would be:

2.66 * (1066/1333) = 2.13GHz.

It means the processor would only run at 0.8 of normal speed.

HTH,
Paul
Old October 5th 07, 09:38 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
~misfit~[_6_]

Somewhere on the interweb "Paul" typed:
Joel wrote:
Thanks alot guys. But what's it gonna hurt running a fsb slower
than the cpu? How's it gonna hurt the cpu? The cpu just slows down
without any damage-inducing results, right?

Correct.

For an E6750 2.66GHz/FSB1333/4MB L2 dual core, the math would be:

2.66 * (1066/1333) = 2.13GHz.

It means the processor would only run at 0.8 of normal speed.

HTH,
Paul

In which case it makes sense to save money and buy a CPU that runs at a
similar speed and is designed for a 1066 FSB.
--
TTFN

Shaun.

Old October 6th 07, 05:58 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Joel

Joel wrote:
Thanks alot guys. But what's it gonna hurt running a fsb slower
than the cpu? How's it gonna hurt the cpu? The cpu just slows down
without any damage-inducing results, right?

Correct.

For an E6750 2.66GHz/FSB1333/4MB L2 dual core, the math would be:

2.66 * (1066/1333) = 2.13GHz.

It means the processor would only run at 0.8 of normal speed.

HTH,
Paul

In which case it makes sense to save money and buy a CPU that runs at a
similar speed and is designed for a 1066 FSB.
--
TTFN

Shaun.

Shaun, would you believe me if I told you that the cpu 1333 on that
zipzoomfly website was the same price as the cpu 1066? No lie.........well,
it was $3 different in price...but whose counting $3? Not me.........Also,
I want to get all my parts from the same site so they come at the same
time..and zipzoomfly has free shipping

Old October 6th 07, 02:17 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
bandit

Joel wrote:
[...]

well if you want a little better motherboard that will support you're
CPU better have a look at this one its only about $28.00 more

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...uctCode=247123