Problem upgrading Abit BX6 rev 2 CPU

Old August 14th 03, 09:55 PM
Mike

Default Problem upgrading Abit BX6 rev 2 CPU

Hi,
I got hold of a Celeron 700 (128/66/1.7) in an attempt to slightly
juice up
my second computer, an old Abit BX6 rev 2, which was running a Celeron
433.
I successfully updated the BIOS to the most recent version, but when I
put
in the new CPU, the screen stays black on bootup.
Do I need to adjust the BIOS settings for the new chip while the 433
is still in? Shouldn't I be able to boot to the BIOS setup screen
using the new chip?
Or have i just been sold a dud CPU? Any way to check?
Thnx,
Mike
Old August 15th 03, 02:02 AM
kony

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 00:37:08 +0200, wrote:

Since that's a BX chipset, slot 1 motherboard, you must be using a
slotket... Is it a Coppermine-compatible slotket?

I don't think so: AB-RS370. And it has no jumpers.

I just Googled it... doesn't look to be coppermine compatible. If
you're handy with a soldering iron you "might" be able to mod it, but
if it has one of the voltage ID lines wrong (the one used for PPGA but
not for coppermine, or vice-versa(?), it can fry the processor. Using
modding guides on the 'net you can "most likely" modify that slotket
to work though if the ebay slotkets are cheap enough they might be
worth the time-savings alone.

There's lots of stuff out there about modding this slotket for dual
celeron use - is that the same thing?

No, only the PPGA Celerons like the old one can even run in dual
config, that's not going to help at all doing that mod.

Also, if you need set it to 1.8V, you might as well try running the
chip at 100MHz FSB, the odds are good that it'll stabily run 1GHz @
1.8V

Do you think this slotket would support my chip? I've seen one on
ebay.
http://www.stevetech.com/stsinet/prods/S370-DL.html

Yes, that looks like exactly what you need to get it working, but if
you wanted to try overclocking you'll need do that in the motherboard
BIOS since the slotket doesn't "appear" to have FSB jumpers, though
it's hard to tell from the pic... at any rate the BIOS FSB settings
should work as well as those on the slotket.

Other possible, good slotkets include an IWill (something or other),
an Abit Slotket III (or !!!), and an MSI Master 6905 (be sure it's the
MASTER version).

Also that Asus slotket appears to use the newer slot-1 mounting rail
type with a springy-think in the middle to catch the tabs, if your
board uses the older style of rails with two fixed parts, only having
tiny notches or holes at the top, the Asus slotket may not be what you
want. The Abit Sloket !!! is the best for compatibility, is encased
in what looks similar to the full-casing used on the Intel SECC
processors and likewise uses two spring-tabs on itself rather than a
fixed tab.

Although now that I look at it again, the Asus slotket might have the
ability to use it's tabs flipped over, so they could also be used with
the older-style slot-1 rails... i don't know for sure, never tried it.

Dave

AMD Problem Sean General 9 September 17th 03 01:20 AM
Startup/Shutdown Problem Girgath General 5 August 8th 03 05:45 AM
Weird CD reading problem Devang Devani General 1 July 12th 03 03:09 AM
Problem with built-in sound when upgrading Jon Greene General 4 July 10th 03 10:41 PM
Advice on lockup problem grendel General 1 July 7th 03 05:39 AM