Can't boot SATA Raid-0 (But could install) -- Does anyone have this working ??

Old June 2nd 04, 03:01 PM
Scott K

Default Can't boot SATA Raid-0 (But could install) -- Does anyone have this working ??

I had a nicely running system with my gigabyte motherboard and a single
ide drive. I re-allocated my ide drive to another system and purchased
2 IBM Hitachi Deskstar 7K250 250GB Serial ATA drives.

I configured them as a single raid 0 drive: Configs fine.
I installed windows xp media edition on there (had to do a f6 install
to add the driver, as expected), all seemed to go well.

My issue is now when I am trying to boot the system for the first time
without using the cd-rom. If I have no cd in the drive, I just get a
message saying cd-boot and nothing happens.

I have SATA selected for my first bios option (scsi/sata/raid)
and I have cdrom as first boot, and hdd-0 as second.

my cd drive is primary master, no other ide devices. I disabled the
ide raid setup and the second ide controller.

I also tried several different options and nothing seems to work.
I updated the bios to the latest for my board (f5).

Any ideas ?? Does this just not work ??

Gigabyte GA-8INXP motherboard revision 1.0, BIOS F5
Intel 3.06 P4 with Hyperthreading
1 Gig Corsair DDRAM TWINX1024-3200LLPT (2 sticks of 512 each)
ATI Radeon 9700pro
Sony DVD Burner

Thanks so much for any help!

- Scott
Old June 2nd 04, 03:25 PM
SimonG Ltd.

"Scott K" wrote in message
om...
[...]

SNIP

You don't have a HDD-0 . . . . that is not a valid boot option . . . isn't
there one for SCSI as the first boot device ?

cheers, SimonG

Old June 2nd 04, 03:47 PM
Richard Dower

Try this:

Boot Order: Floppy/CD-ROM/SCSI

I have the same motherboard and it works, ensure the Onboard H/W SATA
controller is enabled and it's set to "RAID" not "BASE".

om...

Old June 2nd 04, 03:49 PM
Richard Dower

"SimonG Ltd." wrote in message

You don't have a HDD-0 . . . . that is not a valid boot option . . . isn't
there one for SCSI as the first boot device ?

Yup...your boot order has to be set to boot from SCSI. SATA is not available
in the BIOS for boot order.

HDD-0 refers to an IDE hard drive, not SATA...that's why it won't boot.

Old June 2nd 04, 07:58 PM
Scott K

Hi Richard & All,

Thanks for the suggestions, but it still is not booting for some reason.

I don't have a floppy on this machine so I set the boot order to

Boot Devices:
first - cdrom
second - scsi
third - none.

I tried setting the boot order at the top boot order bios setting to SCSI,
then to SATA with the same boot options as listed above. Just get the "Boot
from CD" message either way.

The OS installed fine on this configured raid unit, so I know I am
accessing the disk just fine, the issue is getting them to boot from
it.

Thanks, I think this is progress, but I am still not at the solution yet ...

- Scott

"Richard Dower" wrote in message ...
Try this:

Boot Order: Floppy/CD-ROM/SCSI

I have the same motherboard and it works, ensure the Onboard H/W SATA
controller is enabled and it's set to "RAID" not "BASE".

om...

Old June 3rd 04, 01:45 PM
Scott K

I have the settings correct now -- Thanks SimonG and Richard
(&gigabtye)!

*** BUT ...

The machine starts up with the bios and I see the sata raid config,
then
I get a screen with the pc interrupt settings and the last message it
says is
"Boot Cd Rom"

All looks normal up to this point, I am not sure why I see the boot cd
message
when I have no cd in the drive.; but --
THEN the system pauses over 3 minutes!! And seems to do nothing!!

Once that 3 minute sleep time is up, the machine boots windows xp in
about 5
seconds, and everything works fine; so I think the drives are hooked
correctly
and all.

My settings now a
SATA/RAID/SCSI Boot Order --- set to "SATA"
First Boot Device --- CDROM
Second Boot Device --- SCSI
Third Boot Device --- None.

There are no messages printed during that 3 minutes and
nothing is happening: no disk access, just nothing.

Thanks for all the great help, seems like there may be just 1 more
step to get this lag time out ...

Dimitris -- Yes I have SiI3112A chip. Do you think this 3 minute
pause
could be a symptom of the defective chip ??
I only spend a few minutes with the machine booted up last night, but
everything seemed fine, it's a fresh windows xp install, and I just
adjusted
a few settings in there. But nothing failed once things booted up and
the machine seemed zippy. I just need to get rid of that 3 minute
boot pause!

BTW: I also mailed gigabyte support as I posted to the net yesterday,
and
support was very helpful - getting me the answer to use the scsi
setting also.
It's nice to see a company stand behind their products like that!
BTW2: Was that documented somewhere? I thought I had read all the
documentation
and I can't remember ever seeing anything that suggested to use the
scsi setting.

Thanks again to All!

- Scott

Dimitris wrote:
Your mobo has the SII3112A chip for sata controller. Some of them were
defective. You cant do nothing else but to return your motherboard.
Except maybe to buy a PCI sata controller.

Old June 3rd 04, 06:52 PM
Dimitris

Dimitris -- Yes I have SiI3112A chip. Do you think this 3 minute
pause
could be a symptom of the defective chip ??
I only spend a few minutes with the machine booted up last night, but
everything seemed fine, it's a fresh windows xp install, and I just
adjusted
a few settings in there. But nothing failed once things booted up and
the machine seemed zippy. I just need to get rid of that 3 minute
boot pause!

Thanks again to All!

- Scott

Er no if winxp have boot and run i think it is something with the
cdroms. What if you set first boot device to scsi?
Old June 3rd 04, 07:34 PM
Richard Dower

Well, i have the same mobo and i am also using the Sil3112A with the latest
drivers, from the webiste...do you have the latest?

I run my WD Raptor in BASE as i have a single drive, no lag or delay
booting.

m...