Problem in Upgrading

Old January 15th 04, 05:20 PM
philo

Default Problem in Upgrading

"P.Singh" wrote in message
Hi

I have an older Dell Pentium II 350mhz computer with me. I recently got a
400 PII for free. as my computer manual said that I could go till 450 I
plonked the new cpu in.

But my system still shows it as a PII 350. is there anyway, i can change

the
settings so that my system reconizes it. I tried thru the normal bios but
there no such thing there. i just read that I need to go into maintenance
mode. As i don't have much info on this, I am afraid to blow it up

you need to change the frequency and multiplier jumpers

that info should be in your motherboard manual

if not...just get a flashlight and some reading glasses
and you will see that the info is marked right on the motherboard

just make a selection that adds up to 450mhz

just as an example 75mhz X 6 =450

Old January 16th 04, 05:33 AM
kony

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 04:53:13 -0500, "P.Singh"
wrote:

Hi

I have an older Dell Pentium II 350mhz computer with me. I recently got a
400 PII for free. as my computer manual said that I could go till 450 I
plonked the new cpu in.

But my system still shows it as a PII 350. is there anyway, i can change the
settings so that my system reconizes it. I tried thru the normal bios but
there no such thing there. i just read that I need to go into maintenance
mode. As i don't have much info on this, I am afraid to blow it up

I would be thankful if someone can help me with my problem. Also when i
check the system properties in windows, it shows my older cpu as a PII
having stepping 2 while if i put the new one it shows step 1. I can't seem
to make head - or - tail out of it.

Thankyou in advance to anyone who can help me solve these problems.

P.Singh

You ought to try updating the BIOS. Most likely this is a cosmetic
problem, that the motherboard simply doesn't know what to call the new
CPU. Intel PII at 350MHz and above are all multiplier-locked (except
for very rare engineering samples) so there should be no multiplier
changes needed. What you might do is boot to maintenance mode (or
whatever it's called, I forget the exact terminology) where you move a
jumper, boot the system to a special bios menu, save the settings,
power off then return the jumper to normal position. I don't recall
the exact jumper position either but it should definitely be in the
motherboard manual, is on the lower-right quadrant of the board, IIRC.

You can also run a simple utility that will report the CPU speed and
more, WCPUID:
http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA002.../download.html

Old January 16th 04, 11:39 PM
~misfit~

philo wrote:
"P.Singh" wrote in message
Hi

I have an older Dell Pentium II 350mhz computer with me. I recently
got a 400 PII for free. as my computer manual said that I could go
till 450 I plonked the new cpu in.

But my system still shows it as a PII 350. is there anyway, i can
change the settings so that my system reconizes it. I tried thru the
normal bios but there no such thing there. i just read that I need
to go into maintenance mode. As i don't have much info on this, I am
afraid to blow it up

you need to change the frequency and multiplier jumpers

that info should be in your motherboard manual

if not...just get a flashlight and some reading glasses
and you will see that the info is marked right on the motherboard

just make a selection that adds up to 450mhz

just as an example 75mhz X 6 =450

Umm, crap. The PII 400 is designed to run on a 100MHz FSB and the multiplier
is internally locked at 4x.

There is probably a set of switches or jumpers. They will be limited to 66
or 100MHz FSB and the multiplier switches/jumpers will probably only go as
high as 4.5x.. This is a Dell we're talking about here.

I doubt it's set in BIOS but it could be.
--
~misfit~

Old January 17th 04, 03:20 AM
philo

"~misfit~" wrote in message
philo wrote:
"P.Singh" wrote in message
[...]

yes, of course .

i was looking at the part where he said the board could
take up to a 450cpu...i missed the 400mhz cpu part...

Problem upgrading HDD Jeff General 9 August 20th 05 09:37 PM
Problem in Display of ASUS MotherBoard A7V266-MX S S Robert General 0 January 12th 04 06:30 AM
Freezing, lock up, unresponsive problem. James General 5 September 5th 03 02:54 PM
Problem upgrading Abit BX6 rev 2 CPU Mike General 3 August 15th 03 10:18 AM
Problem with built-in sound when upgrading Jon Greene General 4 July 10th 03 10:41 PM