ECS K7VTA3 -- does thermal shutdown work?

Old January 11th 04, 01:20 AM
larrymoencurly

Default ECS K7VTA3 -- does thermal shutdown work?

What's supposed to happen when the thermal shutdown of an ECS K7VTA3
v. 8 mobo (Athlon/Duron) kicks in? Does the computer shut down
completely, or does it just slow the CPU way down?

I have the mobo's BIOS thermal shutdown set to 60C, but nothing seemed
to change when that temperature was exceeded, even to 72C (BIOS
reading, external thermometer read 69C). The computer operates
normally with the CPU that hot, and the CPU is rated for at least 85C.
I realize that Motherboard Monitor can shut down a computer if it
gets too hot, but it's a Windows program, and I don't trust Windows
nearly as much as I trust the BIOS.

I have another ECS AMD mobo, a K7S5A Pro v. 5, and it doesn't have any
thermal protection in the BIOS, so I have a hardware thermostat to
shut it down. Am I going to have to install the same thing in the
K7VTA3 for thermal protection?

How come AMD cpus don't have thermal shutdown protection ?? Orbital Defence Overclocking AMD Processors 14 September 11th 04 08:38 AM
CPU Temperature Nel General 34 August 17th 04 10:29 PM
CPU Temperature Nel Overclocking 31 August 17th 04 10:29 PM
Thermal Paste working its way out due to thermal expansion rates Harry Muscle Overclocking AMD Processors 2 October 11th 03 07:57 AM
Intel thermal pad or Arctic Silver? kony General 3 July 4th 03 12:35 AM