Is this PNY Geforce 6600 GT graphics card defective?

Old July 29th 06, 05:16 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
altcomphardware

Default Is this PNY Geforce 6600 GT graphics card defective?

I have an AMD XP 2500+, 1GB DDR333 RAM and a PNY Geforce 6600GT.

When I test out some games with it, the system either reboots, crashes
to Windows or hangs. Occasionally artifacts are visible if a lot of
light effects are present. Unfortunately, the screenshot button doesn't
work in the game so I have not been able to save them. If you guys want
to see it then let me know, I'll try to get it with a digital camera.

When I tried updating with the latest drivers, I couldn't even get into
Windows - just a black screen. I had to use the "Last Known Working
Configuration" to get in.

Is there a stress test I can download which will show if the card is
faulty or not? IIRC although 3DMark stresses the graphics card, it
doesn't do so for long, and it doesn't detect if artifacts are present.
The results with 3D Mark were dismal, I got less than 1FPS for all the
tests. Is this to be expected?

Old July 29th 06, 11:06 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
altcomphardware

Default Is this PNY Geforce 6600 GT graphics card defective? (Kony, Paul, other regulars please help)

Hi guys. I have uploaded a picture of my 3D marks sco

http://rapidshare.de/files/27490726/...sults.JPG.html

My PSU is an Antec Smartpower 350W PSU.

The reboots tend to be preceeded by a freeze of around 10 seconds. One
thing strange I noticed about the reboots was that either the keyboard
or mouse wouldn't work after the reboot (sometimes both). A total PC
power off and restart would fix the problem.

The Geforce 6600GT is supposed to require a 300W PSU. I have 1 IDE HDD,
1 DVD+/-RW, 1 PCI/IDE card, 1 PCI Gigabit card and 1 SB Audigy.

Please let me know if you think the card is defective. I have a few
more days until I lose my right to return the card.

If you want me to do any other tests, please let me know too.

Old July 30th 06, 02:36 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On 29 Jul 2006 09:16:47 -0700, "altcomphardware"
wrote:

I have an AMD XP 2500+, 1GB DDR333 RAM and a PNY Geforce 6600GT.

What motherboard and PSU make AND model?

When I test out some games with it, the system either reboots, crashes
to Windows or hangs.

These are three distinctly different things and probably
more than one problem causing them.

You need to not lump all games together, take ONE game that
is known to work properly with it's newest patches and a
6600GT card, and which video driver (generally I would
suggest trying a late 8x.xx series driver, no older and not
a 9x.xx series.

You might try one of the 3DMark benchmarks too or instead,
or looping some benchmark demo... but again it has to be
known stable with your hardware and driver, as games are
rushed in development and quite a few need patches to work
on a lot of hardware.

Reinstall DirectX9c. It doesn't matter if you already had
it installed... just do it.

If it's possible the sound is crashing it, disable the sound
or try other sound drivers.

Is the CPU or video card overheating?

Try to isolate each, run Prime95's Torture Test, large
in-place FFTs setting for at least a few hours to see if the
CPU produces errors. If it does you must rectify that
problem before you can determine whether the video card is
ok or not (as mentioned above, you may easily have more than
one problem).

Occasionally artifacts are visible if a lot of
light effects are present.

Could be overheating, the driver, power supply, or game
bugs. Could even be vaulty or ESD damaged memory on the
card but this seems less likely than any of the former
possibilities.

What video card did your system use previously?
Did you try playing any of the same games and did they have
any problems if so?

Unfortunately, the screenshot button doesn't
work in the game so I have not been able to save them. If you guys want
to see it then let me know, I'll try to get it with a digital camera.

Maybe if other things don't work, this could be useful but
for the time being, take a multimeter and measure the PSU
voltages under heavy load (like when gaming and running the
Prime95 Torture test), or if you don't have a multimeter nor
access to one, at least note the system temps reported by
software.

You might also leave the case open (does it have good
airflow??) and point a strong desk fan at the center to see
if it resolves anything.

When I tried updating with the latest drivers, I couldn't even get into
Windows - just a black screen. I had to use the "Last Known Working
Configuration" to get in.

you didn't even mention the games you're having trouble with
but that might be information better suited to a gaming
forum where far more people are familiar with problems any
particular game might have with or w/o patches, drivers,
etc.

Is there a stress test I can download which will show if the card is
faulty or not? IIRC although 3DMark stresses the graphics card, it
doesn't do so for long, and it doesn't detect if artifacts are present.
The results with 3D Mark were dismal, I got less than 1FPS for all the
tests. Is this to be expected?

That seems very odd, to get only 1FPS. I'd wonder if the
video card is overheating though instability from bad power
would also cause a similar pausing and downclocked speed -
lower average performance.

Try an older 3DMark, 2001 and 2003. One of not both can be
set to loop mode, and by only setting it to run on high
detail, the demanding tests, you will keep as much load on
the video card as possible, minimize the CPU as a
bottleneck... or vice versa, choose low detail and low
resolution to put most load on CPU in a 3D environment.
Old July 30th 06, 10:27 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Sleepy

"altcomphardware" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

try the previous offical drivers (as kony suggest) 84.21. they're in the
archive section of www.nvidia.com and set AGP speed to 4x (I find 8x to show
up graphical glitches though it doesnt crash my machine. fast-writes OFF is
also best for stability. and if you mean you've recently changed cards then
thoroughly uninstalling the old drivers is a must and it helps to reinstall
the motherboard drivers (including the AGP port driver). google for
coolbits.reg and use it - it unlocks hidden parts of the display control
panel and check your temps - 50s when idling up to 65c when gaming is
normal.

good luck.

Old July 30th 06, 10:48 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

In article . com,
"altcomphardware" wrote:

Hi guys. I have uploaded a picture of my 3D marks sco

http://rapidshare.de/files/27490726/...sults.JPG.html

My PSU is an Antec Smartpower 350W PSU.

The reboots tend to be preceeded by a freeze of around 10 seconds. One
thing strange I noticed about the reboots was that either the keyboard
or mouse wouldn't work after the reboot (sometimes both). A total PC
power off and restart would fix the problem.

The Geforce 6600GT is supposed to require a 300W PSU. I have 1 IDE HDD,
1 DVD+/-RW, 1 PCI/IDE card, 1 PCI Gigabit card and 1 SB Audigy.

Please let me know if you think the card is defective. I have a few
more days until I lose my right to return the card.

If you want me to do any other tests, please let me know too.

And from your other post, you have "AMD XP 2500+, 1GB DDR333 RAM".
One thing missing, is what motherboard you are using.

Entry #39 in the table here is beating your pants off :-)
By 1356 points to your 269 points. And he is using an "XP 1900+".

http://www.techimo.com/forum/t161088.html

The very first question is, did you remember to uninstall the
drivers for the old video card ? That has caused me grief in
the past (so much grief, that in one case the only way I could
get a new video card to work right, was an OS reinstall). When
the old video card is still in the computer, you uninstall
the video driver. Then, you are ready to come up at 640x480
driverless with the new card. Followed by installing
whatever minimum DirectX version the new card needs, and the
new video card driver. (Assumes the chipset AGP driver is in
good shape and is up to date.) The best order of install is
AGP chipset driver first, video card driver second, and DirectX
can be either before or after or as many times as you like.

If the chipset and graphics card drivers were not installed
properly, I'd be surprised if 3DMark06 would run properly.
It could be that texture acceleration is not enabled. Run
Dxdiag from the directx9 install, and see what it reports.
(I'd recommend the taskbar options popup of Powerstrip from
entechtaiwan.com, but it has a limited trial period now. At
least I cannot run it any more.)

http://www.windowsresource.net/guides/hardware.php

I'll reserve comment on the artifacts, until you are
sure the drivers are all in place and everything is
working properly. Artifacts can mean the card is bad,
with say a lot of blocks or colored squares could mean
some bad video card RAM. If the problem is occasional,
it could be GPU temperature, and maybe you'd be seeing
it as the card gets warmed up by the 3DMark test run.
(Does the video card heatsink look solid to you ? Is
it tilted or does it look like it is out of place ?
I don't know anything about utils that can display
GPU temp, but that would be one thing worth checking
if you can find a util to do that.)

The freeze for 10 seconds, followed by the restart, doesn't
sound like a power problem. It sounds like the OS is
crashing because of a driver problem or something.
Is anything recorded in the Event Viewer ? If you
disable automatic restarts on a crash, what info is
displayed on the blue screen ?

In terms of your hardware power situation, I don't think
you are in trouble there. I found a picture of the label
on the side of a SmartPower 350W, and you can compare
my numbers to what is printed on the label on yours:

3.3@22A 5V@21A 12V1@10A 12V2@15A +5VSB@2A (3.3V&5V power 130W)
http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/...smartpower_350

I have an Nforce2 board with a 3200+ on it, and my measured
combined power is about 100W on 3.3V&5V. Which is less than
the 130W limit. And my board uses the 5V rail for CPU power.

AFAIK, the 6600GT draws 12V@4A in 3D mode, via the motherboard
power cable. I think that would be coming from the 10A output
(12V1). Again, I don't think you have enough other loads, to
exceed the 10A limit.

So, you could have a bad card. But first you have to clean uo
the software problems. In the interest of time, find a spare
hard drive. Disconnect all other hard drives in the
system (making notes of where they were connected), get out
your Windows install CD, and reinstall. Plop on the drivers
from the motherboard CD, which should give you chipset
drivers. Install the video card drivers from the video card
CD. Now, you can shut down and connect whatever disk has
the installer for 3DMark etc. Run Dxdiag and your other
tests, and see if things are any different.

By using a clean install, you may find that texture acceleration
is enabled and your score is better. If you are still seeing
artifacts and time is running out, return the card just in
case. Who knows how well video card memories are tested...

Paul
Old July 30th 06, 12:04 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
altcomphardware

Thanks for helping Paul :-)

Don't know what alt.comp.hardware would be without you & kony :-D

And from your other post, you have "AMD XP 2500+, 1GB DDR333 RAM".
One thing missing, is what motherboard you are using.

Motherboard is an Abit NF7.

Entry #39 in the table here is beating your pants off :-)
By 1356 points to your 269 points. And he is using an "XP 1900+".

http://www.techimo.com/forum/t161088.html

How embarassing! The result discrepancy *has* to be due to a problem,
right? Not variability between graphics card manufacturers, etc.

The very first question is, did you remember to uninstall the
drivers for the old video card ? That has caused me grief in
the past (so much grief, that in one case the only way I could
get a new video card to work right, was an OS reinstall). When
the old video card is still in the computer, you uninstall
the video driver. Then, you are ready to come up at 640x480
driverless with the new card. Followed by installing
whatever minimum DirectX version the new card needs, and the
new video card driver. (Assumes the chipset AGP driver is in
good shape and is up to date.) The best order of install is
AGP chipset driver first, video card driver second, and DirectX
can be either before or after or as many times as you like.

At first I didn't uninstall the drivers for my old Sapphire Ati Radeon
9800 Pro. It artifacts so badly I can't see anything even in Windows,
and my motherboard doesn't have onboard graphics.

I have uninstalled it through "Add/Remove Software", but as we all know
Windows tends to be quite sloppy in clearing up old files.

If the chipset and graphics card drivers were not installed
properly, I'd be surprised if 3DMark06 would run properly.
It could be that texture acceleration is not enabled. Run
Dxdiag from the directx9 install, and see what it reports.
(I'd recommend the taskbar options popup of Powerstrip from
entechtaiwan.com, but it has a limited trial period now. At
least I cannot run it any more.)

I will follow your advice later on to try it on a fresh Windows
install.

http://www.windowsresource.net/guides/hardware.php

I'll reserve comment on the artifacts, until you are
sure the drivers are all in place and everything is
working properly. Artifacts can mean the card is bad,
with say a lot of blocks or colored squares could mean
some bad video card RAM.

The patterns I saw was checkerboarding, with very distinct and well
separated squares.

If the problem is occasional,
it could be GPU temperature, and maybe you'd be seeing
it as the card gets warmed up by the 3DMark test run.
(Does the video card heatsink look solid to you ?

It is asymmetric so it is hard to tell. My Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro's
heatsink moves a *bit* when you push it around, so isn't a bit of give
of the heatsink expected? Granted the Radeon was busted, which was why
I dared to push the heatsink around.

Is
it tilted or does it look like it is out of place ?
I don't know anything about utils that can display
GPU temp, but that would be one thing worth checking
if you can find a util to do that.)

The freeze for 10 seconds, followed by the restart, doesn't
sound like a power problem. It sounds like the OS is
crashing because of a driver problem or something.
Is anything recorded in the Event Viewer ? If you
disable automatic restarts on a crash, what info is
displayed on the blue screen ?

Faulting application oblivion.exe, version 0.1x, faulting module
oblivion.exe, version 0.1x, fault address 0x002c7c2c.

[...]

OK, I will try reinstalling Windows. I happen to have a spare 160GB HD
around.

By using a clean install, you may find that texture acceleration
is enabled and your score is better. If you are still seeing
artifacts and time is running out, return the card just in
case. Who knows how well video card memories are tested...

Paul

Thanks.

Old July 30th 06, 12:16 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
altcomphardware

wrote:

I have an AMD XP 2500+, 1GB DDR333 RAM and a PNY Geforce 6600GT.

What motherboard and PSU make AND model?

Motherboard is an Abit NF7, PSU Antec Smartpower 350W.

When I test out some games with it, the system either reboots, crashes
to Windows or hangs.

These are three distinctly different things and probably
more than one problem causing them.

One thing I thought of was that - my Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro died
after I accidentally bumped it on a powered-on system. Could that have
triggered a surge that damaged other components?

Also, despite changing to a 3200+ rated CPU heatsink, my 2500+ still
overheats when I overclock it to 3200+. At the moment, everything is at
stock speed and I will be changing the thermal grease, but could a
partially damaged CPU due to overclocking be responsible, or would I
definitely notice if I had a damaged CPU?

Once, after an mobo overheat (75 Celcius) inspired shutdown, the CPU
was identified as a 1100+ and not a 2500+!

You need to not lump all games together, take ONE game that
is known to work properly with it's newest patches and a
6600GT card, and which video driver (generally I would
suggest trying a late 8x.xx series driver, no older and not
a 9x.xx series.

OK, I will do what Paul says - reinstall Windows, then test games like
HL2 or Quake 4 or Doom 3 that have been out for a while and known to
work with the card.

You might try one of the 3DMark benchmarks too or instead,
or looping some benchmark demo... but again it has to be
known stable with your hardware and driver, as games are
rushed in development and quite a few need patches to work
on a lot of hardware.

Can you recommend any benchmark with a loop feature that I can run for
a few hours?

Reinstall DirectX9c. It doesn't matter if you already had
it installed... just do it.

OK, I will do that with my new Windows install.

If it's possible the sound is crashing it, disable the sound
or try other sound drivers.

Hmm, I don't think this is the cause. When my Radeon 9800 Pro was
working, Oblivion had the occasional crash but nothing as bad as this.

Is the CPU or video card overheating?

The CPU is at stock speeds, and my mobo should start beeping when it
gets too hot.

Try to isolate each, run Prime95's Torture Test, large
in-place FFTs setting for at least a few hours to see if the
CPU produces errors. If it does you must rectify that
problem before you can determine whether the video card is
ok or not (as mentioned above, you may easily have more than
one problem).

OK, will do.

Occasionally artifacts are visible if a lot of
light effects are present.

Could be overheating, the driver, power supply, or game
bugs. Could even be vaulty or ESD damaged memory on the
card but this seems less likely than any of the former
possibilities.

I will test out other games on a fresh Windows install.

What video card did your system use previously?
Did you try playing any of the same games and did they have
any problems if so?

Sapphire Atlantis Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB. Oblivion had the occasional
rare crash (but I understand the game is buggy). Most other games were
stable with no problems.

Unfortunately, the screenshot button doesn't
work in the game so I have not been able to save them. If you guys want
to see it then let me know, I'll try to get it with a digital camera.

Maybe if other things don't work, this could be useful but
for the time being, take a multimeter and measure the PSU
voltages under heavy load (like when gaming and running the
Prime95 Torture test), or if you don't have a multimeter nor
access to one, at least note the system temps reported by
software.

You might also leave the case open (does it have good
airflow??) and point a strong desk fan at the center to see
if it resolves anything.

Yup. My case has a 16" desk fan cooling it, which is how I bumped the
Radeon during operation :-/

That seems very odd, to get only 1FPS. I'd wonder if the
video card is overheating though instability from bad power
would also cause a similar pausing and downclocked speed -
lower average performance.

Paul noted my 3DMark 2006 score of ~250 was very low compared to
another guy with a slower CPU (1600+ vs 2500+) who got ~1100! So it
seems something is definitely amiss.

Try an older 3DMark, 2001 and 2003. One of not both can be
set to loop mode, and by only setting it to run on high
detail, the demanding tests, you will keep as much load on
the video card as possible, minimize the CPU as a
bottleneck... or vice versa, choose low detail and low
resolution to put most load on CPU in a 3D environment.

OK. I'll try that. BRB after a couple of hours, it looks like I have my
afternoon mapped out :-(

Old July 30th 06, 12:18 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
altcomphardware

Sleepy wrote:
[...]

Thanks sleepy. I'm off to reinstall Windows. Luckily I have a backup
(if slow) computer so I won't be bored in the meantime :-)

Old July 30th 06, 12:59 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

wrote:

I have an AMD XP 2500+, 1GB DDR333 RAM and a PNY Geforce 6600GT.

What motherboard and PSU make AND model?

Motherboard is an Abit NF7, PSU Antec Smartpower 350W.

When I test out some games with it, the system either reboots, crashes
to Windows or hangs.

These are three distinctly different things and probably
more than one problem causing them.

One thing I thought of was that - my Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro died
after I accidentally bumped it on a powered-on system. Could that have
triggered a surge that damaged other components?

To clarify, you mean that you bumped that system, and have
thus far only replaced the seemingly dead Radeon 9800 Pro?

If so, yes you may have damaged the AGP slot or something
else but I don't know what else. problem is we have too
many variables now, it would be good to test the card in
another system if possible, but even then it's not certain
whether you have a software (OS, driver or game) or hardware
(motherboard probably, or maybe PSU, the new card does use
more power, IIRC).

Also, despite changing to a 3200+ rated CPU heatsink,

What heatsink?
Lots of lower-end sinks (even some that aren't priced so
low) are rated a bit higher than realistically capable.
However, you're overclocking, there are more variables
involved. You'll just have to keep it at stock speed till
you can isolate the variable causing the instability.

my 2500+ still
overheats when I overclock it to 3200+.

The same rules for cooling still apply, decent sink, decent
thermal interface, decent chassis cooling... and not
overvolting it much unless you have a really good 'sink.

At the moment, everything is at
stock speed and I will be changing the thermal grease, but could a
partially damaged CPU due to overclocking be responsible, or would I
definitely notice if I had a damaged CPU?

How hot was it getting?
Generally, if it was only getting hot enough to crash for
awhile, it's probably fine. I've taken apart systems where
the junk silicone thermal grease had degraded till there was
a dark brown spot on the back of the CPU and after fixing
the cooling problem, it then ran fine... but I didn't try
overclocking it, this was someone else's system.

You can't really determine "definitely notice" it until you
first make sure it never gets too hot. The higher the
speed, (especially overclocking), the lower the stable temp
will be. You can raise the voltage slightly to offset this,
and indeed it could be necessary to raise voltage on a
Xp2500 to get it around 3200 and beyond, but with it
overheating already, it'd just run that much hotter... so
you have to keep it cool as-is first, and by doing so, you
also reduce the voltage it'll need for any given speed.

Once, after an mobo overheat (75 Celcius) inspired shutdown, the CPU
was identified as a 1100+ and not a 2500+!

Not a big deal, the bios may do that - default to the lowest
FSB speed. it shouldn't be over 75C though, I'd have taken
the 'sink off long ago and reapplied thermal compound,
remounted it. Also confirm that it is running at the
correct voltage.

You need to not lump all games together, take ONE game that
is known to work properly with it's newest patches and a
6600GT card, and which video driver (generally I would
suggest trying a late 8x.xx series driver, no older and not
a 9x.xx series.

OK, I will do what Paul says - reinstall Windows, then test games like
HL2 or Quake 4 or Doom 3 that have been out for a while and known to
work with the card.

Considering the overheat issues, I'd probably open the case
and point a fan at it first, and remount the heatsink. We
know it's not overheating due to windows, so you might as
well take care of the known problem first then see what
other problems remain once it's running cool enough.
However, if it has been running too long long term, you
could have all kinds of data corruption but it seems
unlikely if you only have these crashes/reboots/etc in
games. That is the case, yes? Only problems while gaming,
never any other time?

You might try one of the 3DMark benchmarks too or instead,
or looping some benchmark demo... but again it has to be
known stable with your hardware and driver, as games are
rushed in development and quite a few need patches to work
on a lot of hardware.

Can you recommend any benchmark with a loop feature that I can run for
a few hours?

3Dmark2001 will, I don't recall about 2003.

Reinstall DirectX9c. It doesn't matter if you already had
it installed... just do it.

OK, I will do that with my new Windows install.

If it's possible the sound is crashing it, disable the sound
or try other sound drivers.

Hmm, I don't think this is the cause. When my Radeon 9800 Pro was
working, Oblivion had the occasional crash but nothing as bad as this.

Is the CPU or video card overheating?

The CPU is at stock speeds, and my mobo should start beeping when it
gets too hot.

You should be able to keep that CPU under 60C (actually
significantly lower with a good heatsink) unless your
computer room is sweltering hot.

You might also leave the case open (does it have good
airflow??) and point a strong desk fan at the center to see
if it resolves anything.

Yup. My case has a 16" desk fan cooling it, which is how I bumped the
Radeon during operation :-/

Pointing into the case? If so, you should definitely
remount the heatsink, the CPU should never be getting up to
75C. Now a stange thought- is it possible your motherboard
is reporting the wrong temp, and unnecessarily rebooting the
system due to this misreported temp though it might not
actually be that hot? It wouldn't account for all the
problems, but I still suspect you might have more than one
cause.

Old July 30th 06, 07:23 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
altcomphardware

Hi Kony. Looks like you all were right; old graphics card drivers were
part of the problem.

A fresh Windows install seemed to improve 3D Mark scores and remove the
hangs/reboots. However, my 3D Mark 2006 scores are still slightly
underperforming (another guy with a AMD XP 1600+ got ~1300 IIRC; see
Paul's post) and it is still artifacting. I will test it out with other
games tonight and see if it is just Oblivion that is causing problems.

Check out:
http://rapidshare.de/files/27578520/...blems.JPG.html

1247 3D Marks with version 2006. I have taken some digital photos of
the artifacts in Oblivion in the bottom right corner. The right picture
has wierd-shaped artifacts because my shield arm went up and refreshed
the view :-/

To clarify, you mean that you bumped that system, and have
thus far only replaced the seemingly dead Radeon 9800 Pro?

Yes.

If so, yes you may have damaged the AGP slot or something
else but I don't know what else. problem is we have too
many variables now, it would be good to test the card in
another system if possible, but even then it's not certain
whether you have a software (OS, driver or game) or hardware
(motherboard probably, or maybe PSU, the new card does use
more power, IIRC).

OK it is possible there are other problems, or I might have gotten
lucky. A reinstall of Windows seemed to help.

I will test it out with other games tonight and see if there are any
other problems. Will also download 3D Mark 2001 and do a continuous
loop.

Also, despite changing to a 3200+ rated CPU heatsink,

What heatsink?
Lots of lower-end sinks (even some that aren't priced so
low) are rated a bit higher than realistically capable.
However, you're overclocking, there are more variables
involved. You'll just have to keep it at stock speed till
you can isolate the variable causing the instability.

Crap! I didn't know coolers are like PSUs which rate higher than
reality. I thought WYSIWYG. This is a Speeze cooler.

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/87736

my 2500+ still
overheats when I overclock it to 3200+.

The same rules for cooling still apply, decent sink, decent
thermal interface, decent chassis cooling... and not
overvolting it much unless you have a really good 'sink.

I'm guessing it is the thermal grease. It is a few years old (reused,
just scraped around the CPU die and slapped back on).

[...]

The voltage to get it to work at 3200+ was 1.8V. Otherwise at 2500+ is
was the stock voltage for a Barton. (can't remember exactly)

[...]

Yes. The problems were only in games. I only ever play FPS games. Now
and then when I still had the Radeon I'd get freezes in Doom 3 or
sudden exits in Oblivion.

Since reinstalling Windows and the drivers, and replacing the Radeon
9800 with the Geforce 6600, I get artifacts. I will test out other FPS
games for freezes.

You might try one of the 3DMark benchmarks too or instead,
or looping some benchmark demo... but again it has to be
known stable with your hardware and driver, as games are
rushed in development and quite a few need patches to work
on a lot of hardware.

Can you recommend any benchmark with a loop feature that I can run for
a few hours?

3Dmark2001 will, I don't recall about 2003.

2003 doesn't at least with the demo version (just tested it).

Reinstall DirectX9c. It doesn't matter if you already had
it installed... just do it.

OK, I will do that with my new Windows install.

If it's possible the sound is crashing it, disable the sound
or try other sound drivers.

Hmm, I don't think this is the cause. When my Radeon 9800 Pro was
working, Oblivion had the occasional crash but nothing as bad as this.

Is the CPU or video card overheating?

The CPU is at stock speeds, and my mobo should start beeping when it
gets too hot.

You should be able to keep that CPU under 60C (actually
significantly lower with a good heatsink) unless your
computer room is sweltering hot.

Room temp is currently 26.8 Celcius.

You might also leave the case open (does it have good
airflow??) and point a strong desk fan at the center to see
if it resolves anything.

Yup. My case has a 16" desk fan cooling it, which is how I bumped the
Radeon during operation :-/

Pointing into the case? If so, you should definitely
remount the heatsink, the CPU should never be getting up to
75C. Now a stange thought- is it possible your motherboard
is reporting the wrong temp, and unnecessarily rebooting the
system due to this misreported temp though it might not
actually be that hot? It wouldn't account for all the
problems, but I still suspect you might have more than one
cause.

Yeah, I suspect I have more than one cause myself. I'm OK not
overclocking my CPU for now, so I won't be getting some good new
thermal grease. When I do buy more stuff, I'll slap on some thermal
grease on the order and see how it goes.