DL580 G1 power-up problem

Old February 13th 06, 03:28 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Default DL580 G1 power-up problem

Anyone real familiar with a DL580 G1.
I have a unit, actually 2 units that power cycles up for ½ to 1 second
the off and then back on.

When I plug the unit in power light flashes for a few seconds then is
solid.
At that point all lights green on power supplies, motherboard has a
green light, and power supply backplane has a solid blue light.

When turn on power/press power button, momentarily a green light comes
on the power supply backplane, all fans momentarily fire up and 1 quick
flash green on all the fan status lamps, then the unit shuts down.
Power light then flashes on and off (next to power button) then it
tries to power up and keeps cycling like that.

All interlock led's on main-board are out as if it's not a
component interlock problem.
Swapped multiple power supplies, memory board, cpu's and other parts
but same problem persists.

I'm beginning to think this is some stupid simple problem, but what
is it.

Any thoughts or pointers as where to start ?

Many thanks,
Phil H

Old February 13th 06, 08:12 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Phil wrote:
[...]

Another Clue ??
I replaced all cpu's with the proper xeon blank plugs and the unit
powers up properly.
All fans, drives, and other components seem to power up, but with no
cpu's no video.

Again I go back with yet another 100% known good cpu in slot one and
the unit is back to the state described above cycling power.

Further checked all switch settings and everything looks normal. With
all the cpu blanks installed and running, checking heat wise,
everything seems about what you would expect if unit was functioning
properly.

Still believe this is simple; I thought some of the "experts" might
have some clue or ideas. Anything would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Phil H

Old February 13th 06, 10:24 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

"Phil" wrote in message
oups.com...
Phil wrote:
[...]

How about your VRMS ... are they all seated properly ?

Old February 14th 06, 01:42 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

NuTCrAcKeR wrote:
"Phil" wrote in message
oups.com...
Phil wrote:
[...]

No VRM's in a DL580 G1 But I've tried to reseat anything that plugs in
anywhere. This unit accepts either 700, 850 or 900 Mhz P3 Xeon's
single, dual, or quad. I have several quads running error free and
dependable but these two ?????

This is apparently not a new question. I've found other similar
questions placed on the net but never any replies or suggestions.

I've swapped virtually everything from a working unit but the same
condition persists. I have read that the DL580 was prone to motherboard
failure but don't know what revision that was or even if it is fact. I
even swapped motherboard from a working unit. Tried 3 memory boards, 5
power supplies 10 cpu's and 2 control cards (with video scsi etc) even
all the fans and still no change. That's why I feel it's something
simple.

When I put in all dummy plugs for cpu's all lights, fans, drives, act
normal. Any CPU and it goes into that on off cycle as if there was
something shorted or some condition it detects that shuts it back down.
There is bound to be a logical method of finding the problem but what
is it? It sounds like a shorted CPU but it' not that. Perhaps I need to
call HP and see if they can shead some light on it.

Phil

Old February 14th 06, 09:22 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Just to let others know that might run into this, HP seems to feel it's
the motherboard.
I have two new ones on the way so I'll post the results when they get
in....
Phil H