TV Wonder for painless TV recording?

Old September 25th 03, 07:48 AM
Mitchua

Default TV Wonder for painless TV recording?

I'm looking for a cheap TV capture card to work as a digital video recorder
for my digital cable e.g. I know I'm going to miss a show so I set it to
record. Forgetting for the moment the challenge of the digital cable box (I
know, I know...I'd only get the analog channels), will an ATI TV Wonder give
me reasonably high quality? I have 120GB so MPEG2 compression isn't a must
and I have an Athlon Xp 1800+ w/ 512MB of RAM so it should run fine. Pros
and cons of USB vs. PCI?

I already have a firewire card I use to capture video from my digital
camcorder. Can you buy an RCA-to-firewire attachment?

Thanks a lot,
Mitchua

Old September 25th 03, 03:49 PM
MrToad

Mitchua wrote:

I'm looking for a cheap TV capture card to work as a digital video recorder
for my digital cable e.g. I know I'm going to miss a show so I set it to
record. Forgetting for the moment the challenge of the digital cable box (I
know, I know...I'd only get the analog channels), will an ATI TV Wonder give
me reasonably high quality? I have 120GB so MPEG2 compression isn't a must
and I have an Athlon Xp 1800+ w/ 512MB of RAM so it should run fine. Pros
and cons of USB vs. PCI?

I already have a firewire card I use to capture video from my digital
camcorder. Can you buy an RCA-to-firewire attachment?

Thanks a lot,
Mitchua

Take a look here for a better solution:

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/artic...,109098,00.asp

--
MrToad

Old September 25th 03, 04:05 PM
Mitchua

"MrToad" nospam@nospam wrote in message
Mitchua wrote:

[...]

I'm really just looking for the card since most come with software to do the
recording. I notice that Snapstream uses the Hauppauge cards though. I've
heard good things about them. Better than the ATI WOnder?

--Mitchua

Old September 25th 03, 04:37 PM
kony

Mitchua wrote:

[...]

I've never owned an ATI Wonder, but have a couple of AIW and prefer my
Leadtek Winfast Dlx TV2000XP :
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...ion=14-122-132

Dave

Old September 25th 03, 07:45 PM
Mitchua

Mitchua wrote:

[...]

Wow that's cheap on newegg. Wish I lived in the States :-)

--Mitchua (a Canadian)

Old September 25th 03, 08:51 PM
Wideass

Mitchua wrote:

I'm looking for a cheap TV capture card to work as a digital video recorder
for my digital cable e.g. I know I'm going to miss a show so I set it to
record. Forgetting for the moment the challenge of the digital cable box (I
know, I know...I'd only get the analog channels), will an ATI TV Wonder give
me reasonably high quality? I have 120GB so MPEG2 compression isn't a must
and I have an Athlon Xp 1800+ w/ 512MB of RAM so it should run fine. Pros
and cons of USB vs. PCI?

I already have a firewire card I use to capture video from my digital
camcorder. Can you buy an RCA-to-firewire attachment?

Thanks a lot,
Mitchua

Take a look here for a better solution:

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/artic...,109098,00.asp

I was under the impression that the analog tuner cards all converted
to mpeg2 for recording. I'm using a digital card, not for the extra
channels (mind you, BBC3 had City on last night), but because the
signal is already mpeg2 and does not need compressing for recording
purposes. It's a good bet that the broadcasters have got better mpeg
encoders than a cheap analog TV card.
Old September 25th 03, 11:59 PM
MrToad

Mitchua wrote:

[...]

I believe so yes, they are dedicated capture cards, not trying to "do it
all".
Google for reviews...

--
MrToad