60 gsm white paper

Old March 22nd 08, 11:35 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
David Rance[_2_]

Default 60 gsm white paper

Does anyone know where in the UK I can buy reams of A4 white paper with
a weight of 60 gsm? This is what used to be sold under the description
of "bank paper".

About thirty years ago I ran a small printing business and there were
many paper merchants that one could go to for papers of all weights and
types. These merchants seem all to have disappeared with the advent of
computer printing and suppliers now seem all to start at 80 gsm. I have
been trawling the Web to find a supplier of 60 gsm paper but just cannot
find anyone.

David

http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk

Old March 22nd 08, 12:09 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Bill (Adopt)

In article ,
David Rance wrote:

[..]
These merchants seem all to have disappeared with the advent of
computer printing and suppliers now seem all to start at 80 gsm. I have
been trawling the Web to find a supplier of 60 gsm paper but just cannot
find anyone.

I have found that the cheaper papers, (under
2.00gbp a ream but not necessarily of a poor
quality), from major suppliers such as Office
World, PC World, Tesco tend to weigh in around
60/70gsm, rather than a heavier 80gsm.

Try a ream ..the paper might suit. I tend to
use these papers for consumable catalogues, as
the heavier 80+gsm can get a bit much to handle
when more than a combined few leaves.

If not, then any local printer should be able
to assist ..and I'm sure you'll be able to
forge that contact in your sleep...

hh )

Bill ZFC

--
Adoption InterLink UK with -=- http://www.billsimpson.com/
Domain Host Orpheus Internet -=- http://www.orpheusinternet.co.uk/
Old March 22nd 08, 04:10 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
David Rance[_2_]

On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 Bill (Adopt) wrote:

These merchants seem all to have disappeared with the advent of
computer printing and suppliers now seem all to start at 80 gsm. I have
been trawling the Web to find a supplier of 60 gsm paper but just cannot
find anyone.

I have found that the cheaper papers, (under
2.00gbp a ream but not necessarily of a poor
quality), from major suppliers such as Office
World, PC World, Tesco tend to weigh in around
60/70gsm, rather than a heavier 80gsm.

Try a ream ..the paper might suit. I tend to
use these papers for consumable catalogues, as
the heavier 80+gsm can get a bit much to handle
when more than a combined few leaves.

Thanks for the tip, Bill. As a matter of fact I have a box of HP Home
and Office paper which we bought for less than £2 a ream. I compared the
thickness of the ream with a ream of Staples' Multiuse and it is indeed
thinner. but the strange thing is that they both weigh about the same!
Strange!

David

http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk