7550 PhotoRet vs. "Super-duper resolution"

Old September 19th 03, 03:17 AM
Daryl Krzewinski

Default 7550 PhotoRet vs. "Super-duper resolution"

Anybody experiment with cheating and telling your 7550 you always use H-P
super photo paper to get the max resolution versus standard PhotoRet? The
warning box that comes up when I do so and select the high resolution make
it sound like the print will take hours and not look as good.

--

Replace "nobody" with "d.m.k" to e-mail me

Bait for spammers:
root@localhost
postmaster@localhost
admin@localhost
abuse@localhost

Old September 19th 03, 04:57 AM
Bob Headrick

"Daryl Krzewinski" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Anybody experiment with cheating and telling your 7550 you always use H-P
super photo paper to get the max resolution versus standard PhotoRet? The
warning box that comes up when I do so and select the high resolution make
it sound like the print will take hours and not look as good.

For most source prints the PhotoRet print will look as good and print about
twice as fast as the high resolution mode. Additionally the high res mode can
take several hundred megabytes of temporary disk space. This mode is only
recommended if the source file is at least 600 ppi; lesser input resolution
will not get any benefit. Printing an 8"x10" print would require an input file
in the 28 Megapixel range, well above the capabilities of normal digital
cameras and even negative scanners for 35mm film.

http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/documen...cName=bpy20611 gives some
tradeoffs for the previous generation, similar principles will apply to the
Photosmart 7550

Regards,

Old September 20th 03, 03:35 PM
Tim

At my local underwater photo club, we recently hosted an former HP ink jet
expert that now works for HP as
a consultant on ink jet programs. His presentation was very informative on
inks, resolution, etc.

My point in mentioning this is that when printing underwater slide images
(scanned at 4000dpi) on my 7550 using PhotoRet
I sometimes get blue banding as the printer attempts to match the blue
gradation of the underwater scene.

When I asked our guest about scanning and printing at high resolution (he'd
been tutoring us on not using more
resolution than was needed for a given printing size) he admitted that using
the hi-res mode might very well
mitigate or eliminate the banding I was getting.

My testing indicates that this situation IS an appropriate usage of
high-resolution. No more blue banding for my UW shots.

Tim

Btw, Bob, a concise, clear answer from you as we've come to expect. Keep
them coming.

Old September 20th 03, 06:26 PM
Daryl Krzewinski

Thanks Bob for the informative answer and the link (I read it quite
thoroughly). The disk space isn't as issue, since I have about 80 GB free,
but don't want to waste any potential time and/or ink if there won't be any
noticeable improvement in the picture quality. Just got my 7550 two weeks
ago, and am currently shopping for a good digital camera to go with it (and
when I do I may finally retire my 35 mm), so am still learning the best ways
to use/setup the printer.

Daryl