ram question

Old July 4th 04, 01:12 AM
Hugo

Default ram question

Hi my pc uses pc100 ram, i have 2 slots , that occupy 2 sticks of 64mb
totaling 128mb, recently i recieved a 128 mb of ram stick the only problem
its pc133, the 1st thing i tried is taking out all of the ram i have in my
pc and install only the new pc133 stick, it did not work, second thing i did
is leave on of the 64mb of ram pc100 in the slot , and in the remaining
slot insert the pc133 ram, did not recognize the pc133, and then i tried a
combination of swiching ram positions. Can some one tell me if this is even
possible, or should i just sell this pc133 of ram on ebay, thanks in
advance.

Hp pavilion 6835
128mb ram

Old July 4th 04, 01:25 AM
half_pint

Well if you do sell if on ebay you will have to sell it as untested and
I doubt you will find a buyer.

I assume the ram woud have worked, but I am no expert on ram.
In which case you woul have to sell (or rather not sell) it as faulty!!

Old July 4th 04, 01:34 AM
Pen

133 should work, if it was the wrong density, it
would only be partially recognized. The symptoms
you quote are that it is defective.

Old July 4th 04, 01:41 AM
Hugo

Ok, im planning on buying a stick of pc100 128mb from a friend of mine, the
stick has been tested and works fine on his PC, will it work ok along a
stick of pc100 64mb and that way i would have 192mb of ram ?, Thanks in
advance.

Old July 4th 04, 01:44 AM
DeMoN LaG

"Pepperoni" wrote in
:

I think that RAM needs to be inserted in matched pairs. Both slots
need to be the same.

I highly doubt that is the case. Aside from RAMBUS memory, you haven't
needed to fill matching banks since EDO RAM.

--
website: http://www.demonlag.com
AIM: FrznFoodClerk
Old July 4th 04, 02:43 AM
~misfit~

Pepperoni wrote:
I think that RAM needs to be inserted in matched pairs. Both slots
need to be the same.

Not "pc100/pc133" RAM. Take a refresher or refrain from advice on things you
don't have knowledge of.
--
~misfit~

Old July 4th 04, 02:44 AM
~misfit~

Hugo wrote:
Ok, im planning on buying a stick of pc100 128mb from a friend of
mine, the stick has been tested and works fine on his PC, will it
work ok along a stick of pc100 64mb and that way i would have 192mb
of ram ?, Thanks in advance.

It should do, although HP's can be fussy. If he's a friend he'll take it
back if it doesn't work.
--
~misfit~

Old July 4th 04, 04:05 AM
Thor

"Hugo" wrote in message
Hi my pc uses pc100 ram, i have 2 slots , that occupy 2 sticks of 64mb
totaling 128mb, recently i recieved a 128 mb of ram stick the only

problem
its pc133, the 1st thing i tried is taking out all of the ram i have in my
pc and install only the new pc133 stick, it did not work, second thing i

did
is leave on of the 64mb of ram pc100 in the slot , and in the remaining
slot insert the pc133 ram, did not recognize the pc133, and then i tried a
combination of swiching ram positions. Can some one tell me if this is

even
possible, or should i just sell this pc133 of ram on ebay, thanks in
advance.

Let me guess, the new PC-133 stick has 4 chips on it, and your existing ones
have 8 chips? If so, it's a common problem I have run into in both PC-100
and PC-133 SDRAM modules lately, and older systems, especially those with
the old 440BX chipset, and the 810/815 chipsets. Your system may well
support PC-100 or PC-133 modules in 128MB capacities, but some older
motherboard chipsets do not support the newer 256Mbit density chips commonly
being used today. On a 128MB module that uses 4 256Mbit chips, each chip is
32MB for a total of 128MB. The older 128MB modules with 128Mbit densities
had 16MB per chip, and used 8 chips for a total of 128MB. The best advice I
can give you is to go to Crucial.com and plug your model# into their
configuration matrix, and let them select the proper type of module(s) for
your system, then purchase it. More than likely you will see a warning
message that your system takes a specific type of SDRAM module. Looking up
the specs on your machine reveals that it does indeed use an Intel 810
chipset, and thus needs modules with 128Mbit chip density. If you don't
order from crucial, look for modules with 8 chips on them.

Old July 4th 04, 04:16 AM
steven67@

Hugo wrote:

Hi my pc uses pc100 ram, i have 2 slots , that occupy 2 sticks of 64mb
totaling 128mb, recently i recieved a 128 mb of ram stick the only problem
its pc133, the 1st thing i tried is taking out all of the ram i have in my
pc and install only the new pc133 stick, it did not work, second thing i did
is leave on of the 64mb of ram pc100 in the slot , and in the remaining
slot insert the pc133 ram, did not recognize the pc133, and then i tried a
combination of swiching ram positions. Can some one tell me if this is even
possible, or should i just sell this pc133 of ram on ebay, thanks in
advance.

Hp pavilion 6835
128mb ram

..

How many chips are on this 128MB DIMM, and what are the part numbers on the
chips and DIMM?

Does this 128MB DIMM only have four chips? If so, they are 16Mx16(256Mbit)
chips. This system will not support 128MB DIMMs with only four chips.

This system uses an Intel 810 chipset. It supports memory chip densities up to
128Mbit. It will support 256MB DIMMs that use sixteen 16Mx8(128Mbit) chips. It
will support 128MB DIMMs with either eight 16Mx8 chips, or sixteen 8Mx8(64Mbit)
chips.

Cable Modem Question Dan Rather General 1 October 10th 06 12:12 PM
Printer question! Alon Brodski General 3 May 10th 04 05:13 AM
newbie question about dvd-r/cd-r harrypotter General 11 January 11th 04 04:52 AM
Memory Question - outcome of exceeding the memory limits of a machine. John B. General 4 November 4th 03 01:25 PM
Question about LCD and CRT monitors (Samsung variety) Aaron Chan General 3 October 7th 03 02:04 PM