Bios flash woes

Old January 19th 05, 03:43 PM
Tocapet

Default Bios flash woes

I did a bios flash a couple of weeks ago on my K8VSE Deluxe v 1.13. On the
Asus website, it states that if you have bios version 1001, you need to use
their AFUDOS flash program if you are upgrading to version 1004. But it
doesn't say anything about upgrading to version 1005, so I figured it was OK
to use EZflash, which is built into the bios on some Asus motherboards.

Anyway, what happened was my computer was rendered useless. Wouldn't do
anything. No disk spin, no video, no nothing. So, I contacted a
professional bios recovery guy and ordered a new PLCC bios chip with version
1005 pre-installed. When it arrived, I installed it. As soon as it started
up, it gave me a "bad bios checksum" message and asked for the floppy or CD.
I copied bios ver 1005 to a floppy using another computer and stuck it in
the drive where it copied itself to the bios. Then I had to reboot twice,
set the time, date, etc. and got the system going. But now, every time I
reboot, I must go through the same "bad bios checksum", insert floppy, copy
bios, and reboot twice. I even tried the "hot flash" trick with my original
chip. It flashed, but wouldn't verify, and still wouldn't work. So, I'm
back to leaving the machine on 24/7, or rebooting with the bad checksum each
time.

I contacted the bios flash guy again and he told me to send him my ORIGINAL
bios chip and he would flash it for me (on an eeprom burner). He thinks
it's because my original chip was a different model from the one he sent me,
although the tables all say they are an exact replacement.

So, I sent my chip to him. I'm hoping it will work. But, just in case it
doesn't, does ANYONE know where I can buy an SST brand PLCC chip number
39SF040, 70-4C-NH? I would appreciate any help. The last option would be
to replace the motherboard. ($$$) Asus' website doesn't have any
options for ordering bios chips.

There aren't too many places to get a chip flashed!!! Or to buy a blank
chip for that matter!! Hmmm. Maybe I could invest in an EEPROM burner?

Old January 19th 05, 03:56 PM
Jody Sleath

Does your board support Asus Update by any chance? If it does, just a tip
for the future... I found that whole exflash/afudos thing confusing and a
bit annoying when I tried to flash mine to the latest... instead, Asus
Update which is a Windows based utility downloaded the bios rom file, so I
then opened it with the program and flashed and updated the bios right in
windows without a hitch. I know it's no help to you right now, but maybe it
will make it easier for you in the future if you can use this utility.

Old January 19th 05, 05:32 PM
gb

I ran into the follow info recently, but I don't recall where. Since I
merely saved it and never tried it, I can't vouch for its authenticity or
reliability (a reverse phone number directory search does suggest
authenticity, however). Just thought you might want to check it out.

---------------------------
ASUSTechnology
Attn: BIOS Dept
7100 Intermodal Drive
Suite A
Louisville, Ky 40258
For assistance contact BIOS department at 502-995-0883 x7172

Reflashed Chip: Customer mails their chip
Reflashed chip sent UPS ground (2-10days) ... $5.00 (price covers
S&H, flash free)

New Chip:
New chip sent UPS ground (2-10 days) ... $25.000 (price covers the
chip and S&H)
----------------------------

Again, I haven't needed to try it (thankfully). If you do, please post back
your results.

Good luck.

Old January 20th 05, 09:57 AM
Paul

In article , "Tocapet"
wrote:

[...]

The SST distributors page...
http://www.sst.com/sales/distributors.xhtml

leads he
http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?&han...d&N=0&crc=true

Their terms of sale:
http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?handler=saleterms

Paul
Old January 20th 05, 02:41 PM
Tocapet

Wow! That's what I needed. A chip seller right in my backyard! Mansfield
is about 20 min. from here. I can drive over and buy a new chip. Thanks to
Paul for pointing me in the right direction.

Hey, that's what this forum is all about.... Helping one another. I'll let
you all in on the final solution.

Tocapet

Old January 28th 05, 09:59 PM
Tocapet

Received my original bios chip back from the flasher guy.
He has flashed in the 1005 Bios from ASUS and it is working fine now. Just
plugged in the chip and it took off like a champ. Thanks to all
\
Tocapet

Old P/I-P55TP4XE BIOS flash problems Erick Ondich Asus Motherboards 2 December 6th 04 02:43 PM
flash gigabyte bios Krzysztof M. General 5 September 25th 04 11:55 PM
A7V8X-X - Flash failed, killed my BIOS... :( JH Asus Motherboards 7 June 7th 04 05:55 PM
BIOS flash for A7A266 not working Die Spammer !!! Asus Motherboards 4 May 21st 04 06:31 PM
A7V333-X new BIOS 1004 Paul Asus Motherboards 4 June 26th 03 12:08 PM