RdRam vs. DDR

Old January 7th 05, 12:34 AM
Ian D. Weatherall

Default RdRam vs. DDR

Hi Folks,
In the not too distant future I will be building a new system, I was
thinking along the lines of an Athlon 64 with a Gig of ram & decent mobo. I
have been offered an intel mobo(533fsb) with 256 of Rdram (1066) installed,
my guy tells me I will get better performance if I build a system around the
board and add another 256 ram.
Sorry, I dont have any specific specs as yet, I get my hands on the board on
the weekend.
I just wanted to know if you folks have any thoughts on the matter?
Regards,
Ian

Old January 7th 05, 02:58 AM
Mitch Crane

"Ian D. Weatherall" wrote in

Hi Folks,
In the not too distant future I will be building a new system, I was
thinking along the lines of an Athlon 64 with a Gig of ram & decent
mobo. I have been offered an intel mobo(533fsb) with 256 of Rdram
(1066) installed, my guy tells me I will get better performance if I
build a system around the board and add another 256 ram.
Sorry, I dont have any specific specs as yet, I get my hands on the
board on the weekend.
I just wanted to know if you folks have any thoughts on the matter?

I think you should never deal with your guy again.

Old January 7th 05, 04:33 AM
jpsga

"Ian D. Weatherall" wrote in message
Hi Folks,
In the not too distant future I will be building a new system, I was
thinking along the lines of an Athlon 64 with a Gig of ram & decent mobo.
I have been offered an intel mobo(533fsb) with 256 of Rdram (1066)
installed, my guy tells me I will get better performance if I build a
system around the board and add another 256 ram.
Sorry, I dont have any specific specs as yet, I get my hands on the board
on the weekend.
I just wanted to know if you folks have any thoughts on the matter?
Regards,
Ian

There is not a lot of good to say about either plan but the Intel push
sounds like the Xenon(sp). The crippled Intel CPU would be further crippled
by a inadequate amount of ram.
JPS

Old January 7th 05, 05:25 AM
kony

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 19:34:03 -0500, "Ian D. Weatherall"
wrote:

Hi Folks,
In the not too distant future I will be building a new system, I was
thinking along the lines of an Athlon 64 with a Gig of ram & decent mobo. I
have been offered an intel mobo(533fsb) with 256 of Rdram (1066) installed,
my guy tells me I will get better performance if I build a system around the
board and add another 256 ram.
Sorry, I dont have any specific specs as yet, I get my hands on the board on
the weekend.
I just wanted to know if you folks have any thoughts on the matter?
Regards,
Ian

your guy is trying to sell the parts. If you want them
bargain for a lower price, it won't be as fast as the
Athlon64 config you planned regardless and you would need
add at least 512MB of memory for similar tasks.
Old January 7th 05, 10:39 AM
John Smithe

"Ian D. Weatherall" wrote in

Hi Folks,
In the not too distant future I will be building a new system, I was
thinking along the lines of an Athlon 64 with a Gig of ram & decent
mobo. I have been offered an intel mobo(533fsb) with 256 of Rdram (1066)
installed, my guy tells me I will get better performance if I build a
system around the board and add another 256 ram.
Sorry, I dont have any specific specs as yet, I get my hands on the
board on the weekend.
I just wanted to know if you folks have any thoughts on the matter?
Regards,
Ian

RDRAM died a brutal death a couple of years ago. The only reason to buy that
motherboard is in the hope that it becomes a valuable antique/collectors-item
someday.

Old January 7th 05, 07:00 PM
Mitch Crane

In that case, your guy isn't the evil ******* I thought he was.

Old January 7th 05, 07:24 PM
Rod

There is nothing wrong with RDRAM or the available board. There is a slight
downside however. RDRAM is expensive compared to DDR RAM. If the board
doesn't already have a processor, then that is another expense.

You can get 512 Meg RDRAM to add to your 256, but it will cost you MORE than
what 1 Gig of DDR PC3200 Ram will. If you have to buy a process for this
board then they are going to be a bit higher, due to being a bit out dated,
than a comparable AMD.

You really need to throw a good video card in the mix of you want to see a
real increase in speed if your any sort of gamer.

Old January 8th 05, 12:06 AM
DaveW

RDRAM is old technology at this point and NOT being used in any currently
produced consumer motherboards. That should answer your question.

--
DaveW

Hi Folks,
In the not too distant future I will be building a new system, I was
thinking along the lines of an Athlon 64 with a Gig of ram & decent mobo.
I have been offered an intel mobo(533fsb) with 256 of Rdram (1066)
installed, my guy tells me I will get better performance if I build a
system around the board and add another 256 ram.
Sorry, I dont have any specific specs as yet, I get my hands on the board
on the weekend.
I just wanted to know if you folks have any thoughts on the matter?
Regards,
Ian

Advice requested concerning RDRAM... Steve Reeves Homebuilt PC's 6 August 24th 04 07:26 AM
RDRam buss speed Robert Askins General 1 August 10th 04 11:08 PM
Can RDRAM keep a system from booting? `Elf Homebuilt PC's 2 October 26th 03 07:38 PM
RDRAM Question Crow T Robot Homebuilt PC's 4 September 13th 03 11:48 PM
Rambus RDRAM 400MHz available and worth it? Tim Mavers Homebuilt PC's 7 September 11th 03 12:32 AM