Won't Power Up after Power Outage

Old February 7th 04, 09:50 AM
Greg Lovern

Default Won't Power Up after Power Outage

We had a power outage today, and my computer hasn't powered up since.
I didn't have a power surge protector for it (yes, my bad).

I searched this ng's archives, and it sounds like the power supply may
be shot, and that the easiest way to test (since I don't have a
multi-meter) would be to pick up a new power supply, and if it doesn't
fix the problem, just return the power supply.

Before I do that, though, I just wanted to run through what I know in
case anyone here has any other suggestions.

First, I checked to make sure the outlet was good. It is.

I reseated the wires from the power button to the motherboard.

The power supply fan wasn't running, so I wondered if there was a fuse
in the power supply to check. There was (I was careful not to touch
anything metal inside the power supply). I pulled it out, dusted it
off, and had a good look at it. It looks fine to me. I put it back and
reassembled the power supply.

I checked the motherboard manual to make sure the power button wires
were in the right spot. They were.

Another problem that I think was probably coincidental (but I'm not
really sure) is that when I initially tried to power the computer back
on after the power outage, the power button broke inside (plastic
parts). The part that broke seemed to be only there to hold the button
in place, and I was still able to operate the button after pulling the
front cover off of the computer. I tried putting a jumper over the two
motherboard prongs to which the power button wires led, in case there
was anything wrong with those wires, the power button, etc.. I'm not
sure if that really tests what I hoped it tested, but in any case it
didn't help.

The motherboard is an Abit KT7. The power supply is a 300W "Power Man"
model # FSP300-60BT.

Any thoughts?

Is the fact that the power supply fan isn't running a good indication
that the power supply is probably the problem?

Thanks,

Greg
Old February 7th 04, 10:33 AM
Fitz

Power supply tester's are available (Antec makes one) for less than 20.00-
cheaper than a power supply.

No, the power supply fan not working is not a sure indicator that the power
supply is the problem. If the unit is not being commanded to turn on, it
won't. That command comes motherboard.

Try disconnecting ATX cable, removing the battery (considered replacing)-
this will clear the CMOS. Check the motherboard for bad capacitors (bulged,
leaking, discolored). Test the power supply (get a tester that checks under
a load).

Old February 7th 04, 01:28 PM
Dave C.

"Greg Lovern" wrote in message
om...
We had a power outage today, and my computer hasn't powered up since.
I didn't have a power surge protector for it (yes, my bad).

I searched this ng's archives, and it sounds like the power supply may
be shot, and that the easiest way to test (since I don't have a
multi-meter) would be to pick up a new power supply, and if it doesn't
fix the problem, just return the power supply.

Stupid question . . . have you turned off the power supply, left it turned
off for more than a minute, and then turned it back on using it's own
external power switch? (not the case power switch, the one on the power
supply)

I've got a Seasonic power supply that seemed to have died after a power
outage. The motherboard wouldn't turn the power supply on anymore. I had
to switch OFF the power supply itself, and that seemed to reset it somehow.
It's been fine for several months now after that incident. -Dave

Old February 7th 04, 01:46 PM
philo

[...]

It's a real possibility the powersupply "blew"
I'd try another one.

Also...after a power surge it's possible you will need to reset the bios
(there is usually a jumper) I've seen apparantly bad motherborards work
fine after the bios is reset

also, as far as your switch goes...
i would not jumper it...it's designed to be momentary contact

Old February 8th 04, 12:46 AM
DaveW

Yes. Try another PSU that you know is working. And it's possible you fried
your motherboard with the surge.

--
DaveW

Old February 8th 04, 03:20 AM
Greg Lovern

Also...after a power surge it's possible you will need to reset the bios
(there is usually a jumper) I've seen apparantly bad motherborards work
fine after the bios is reset

Thanks, that fixed it -- there was a jumper to "Discharge the CMOS".
It worked fine after I did that. I reentered my desired BIOS settings,
and now all is well.

Well, except for the power button, which is now hanging outside the
case on its wire because the plastic part that held it in place is
broken. But that should be an easy fix (knock on wood).

Thanks,

Greg
Old February 8th 04, 07:16 AM
do_not_spam_me

(Greg Lovern) wrote in message . com...

The power supply is a 300W "Power Man" model # FSP300-60BT.

there was a jumper to "Discharge the CMOS". It worked
fine after I did that. I reentered my desired BIOS settings,
and now all is well.

Well, except for the power button, which is now hanging
outside the case on its wire because the plastic part
that held it in place is broken.

If the plastic part is on the computer case, it's probably made of ABS
and should be glued with a solvent like lacquer thinner or carburetor
spray and left alone for 24 hours before reinstalling the button. If
the broken piece can't be found, reinforce the remaining part with a
sleeve of metal tubing (hobby shops sell brass, or use an old
telescoping antenna) and insert a rod of ABS or styrene (also hobby
shops), but drill before inserting the screw.

The power button for an ATX supply shorts the 2 wires to the
motherboard only momentarily, and if left shorted will cause the
computer to shut down after a few seconds. Any normally open,
momentary button can replace it, even the reset button.

The next time you have a power supply that won't turn on, test it by
unplugging everything from it and then shorting its green wire on the
20-pin connector to any black wire (2 next to it). As long as this
wire is shorted, the supply should run.

Power Man is a very good brand since it's from Fortron-Source, as
indicated by the model number starting with FSP (Fortron-Source
Power). It probably doesn't contain a surge protector consisting of
MOVs across the AC lines, but it does have a good L-C
(inductor-capacitor) filter lines that will block surges about as well
(and lower voltages ones even better).
Old February 8th 04, 02:47 PM
philo

"Greg Lovern" wrote in message
om...
Also...after a power surge it's possible you will need to reset the bios
(there is usually a jumper) I've seen apparantly bad motherborards work
fine after the bios is reset

Thanks, that fixed it -- there was a jumper to "Discharge the CMOS".
It worked fine after I did that. I reentered my desired BIOS settings,
and now all is well.

Well, except for the power button, which is now hanging outside the
case on its wire because the plastic part that held it in place is
broken. But that should be an easy fix (knock on wood).

Thanks,

Greg

outstanding!
glad that did it... it's happened top me several times

as far as that broken switch...
that's not criticl at all... any momentary contact normally off switch will
do the job

PSU Fans Muttly General 16 February 13th 04 11:42 PM
Happy Birthday America SST Overclocking 333 November 27th 03 08:54 PM
Happy Birthday America SST Overclocking AMD Processors 326 November 27th 03 08:54 PM
How can I make motherboard to restart after power loss automatically? Amiran General 1 September 24th 03 11:35 PM